Will the Maple Leafs even have interest in Steven Stamkos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Steven Stamkos appears poised to leave the Tampa Bay Lightning and test free agency come July 1st. His hometown team, the Toronto Maple Leafs will possess the cap space available to make the splash and sign the star center.

However, will they have interest? It's hard to say no. The Maple Leafs have been searching for a game changing center since Mats Sundin left. Signing Steven Stamkos for nothing but money, which is no issue at all, certainly is appealing.

However with Nazem Kadri having a good season, despite a production slump early in the season, and William Nylander coming up through the ranks, it seems long-term, the Maple Leafs have their centers. William Nylander is developing into a stud, and can be that number one for the Maple Leafs that the team builds around, and Nazem Kadri is a perfect number two center.

Not too mention the Maple Leafs have Sam Carrick, Frederik Gauthier, Tyler Bozak, Mitch Marner, Bryan Froese all in the organization as well. Bozak is likely to be traded, and Marner is likely to be an NHL center, but they still remain options.

That doesn't include this upcoming draft in June, where the Leafs are poised to have at least two first round picks. This draft currently has 13 projected centers to be taken in the first round. So it is likely the Maple Leafs will add a center to their system there as well.

So is spending the 10-12 million dollars per season on Steven Stamkos something that Maple Leafs management thinks is smart for the future of the organization?

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Without being a Homer, I think in the purest asset management aspect. I think the answer is yes. Willie looks like a stud. But may not be ready for no. 1 line duty. Kadri as well as he's played, needs to be handled as an asset. It may be better to flip him at the tdl. Regardless babs dosent seem to like the traditional 1 2 3 4 line set.... At least not that I can tell. Why not roll a 1a and 1b lines. I'd rather have too many cooks than not enough.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yes they will. Free Diamond studded wallet you just have to fill it with money.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Look at how good Babcock is with this team of 1 year players, imagine with Nylander and the young guns + a premier player in Stamkos.

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
I really think if the leafs don't make a real attempt at Stamkos and it comes out he was wanting to come here like the price fiasco that happened after he signed in boston I will be done with this team

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They will have interest for sure. 100% for sure.

It will all depend on the salary he wants.

This is why we got Lamoriello. He needs to work some magic with trades and free agents.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If the Leafs are embarking on the type of a methodical rebuild they've told us they're doing, they shouldn't have the least bit of interest in this type of deal. This is a fast track move, one designed buy a leap forward that hardly ever works. It's also a move that puts undo pressure to succeed earlier when the message has been patience and pain. It can cause a trickle down through the organization. You get forced to make player personnel decisions with shorter term objectives. You're now saddled with a special case, a player who the new hard-fought rules of deportment and team concept don't really apply. It's a conundrum. The player like this you really want is the one who stays with his original organization instead of going out fishing for the biggest payday.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
First off it doesn't just cost money to acquire stammer it also cost cap space, if I'm the leafs I offer around the 9 million mark being that were his home town team and if he doesn't take it it's not really a big deal and if he does you might have a steal.

Also would like to point out Nylander is not close to being a lock for the no 1 center job in the future he still has a lot of work to do. also kadri is a UFA after next year and might not be here long term, so those two reason's IMO are not something that would stop the Leafs from being interested. Which is better Stamkos/Nylander/assets in kadri trade, or just Nylander/kadri?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No offense Cor, but I can't see Larry Tanenbaum or any of the other billionaire owners of Bell /Rogers sitting in Leafs board room saying we have Kadri, Bozak so we don't need Stamkos.

In fact I believe the very opposite, where I think Shanny has full autonomy to run the Leafs without the BOG interference [EXCEPT] where Stamkos is concerned.

The Owners might strongly suggest to Shanny that he worry about getting him signed (if available) and let them worry about paying Stammer his $$ thereafter. The value in return on investment to MLSE by landing a local star kid to market their franchise around must have them drooling at the possibility for their cash cow franchise.

Also the trading of Kessel to free up huge cap and $ was done on the premise of making room for a new face of the franchise and striking if the opportunity presented itself. IMO

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Look at how good Babcock is with this team of 1 year players, imagine with Nylander and the young guns + a premier player in Stamkos.

he's here if he wants toronto ......he may not want the leafs .

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I was with you a bit until you started to mention Carrick, Froese, Gauthier and Bozak. These are not guys you offer up as reasoning against signing Stamkos because I would trade all four of them just for his negotiating rights (yes - this is steeped with a bit of hyperbole).

The Leafs don't know what they have in Nylander at the NHL level, nor Marner. Nylander is doing great at centre with the Marlies, he could easily revert to a winger at the NHL level if needed. Marner is in the same situation. They would like to see if he can become a centre, but there's no guarantee.

Stamkos I don't even see as a guaranteed centre. Sure, he would want to play centre, but there's no guarantee that's where he stays long term - no matter where he signs.

Bringing in Stamkos is an easy decision for me. I've seen this team drop 4-5m a year on multiple players who combined can't score as much as Stamkos can on his own. Issue isn't spending big cap money on top players, it's spending big money on 3rd liners and bottom-pairing defenders. With his age, I don't see a big risk over the long-term either. You bring in Stamkos because he adds to a growing group of young talent. And maybe that means all the young players you drafted don't play or fit in for the Leafs long-term, but it also opens the doors for other deals to fill other positions (ala Nashville/Columbus).

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Which is better Stamkos/Nylander/assets in kadri trade, or just Nylander/kadri?
Interesting way to look at a potential signing. Kadri will be cheaper but if we need some cap space to sign Stammer, trade both Bozak and Kadri?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Yes they will. Free Diamond studded wallet you just have to fill it with money.

He may be exactly like a diamond whatever. You pay a premium to get it then it causes things to be tight on your important bills like the gas, electricity, water, mortgage, property taxes, etc. Then you decide that you can't afford it any longer and discover that no one wants to buy it from you for more than 50 cents on the dollar even though it's still a sparkly diamond whatever.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
No offense Cor, but I can't see Larry Tanenbaum or any of the other billionaire owners of Bell /Rogers sitting in Leafs board room saying we have Kadri, Bozak so we don't need Stamkos.

In fact I believe the very opposite, where I think Shanny has full autonomy to run the Leafs without the BOG interference [EXCEPT] where Stamkos is concerned.

The Owners might strongly suggest to Shanny that he worry about getting him signed (if available) and let them worry about paying Stammer his $$ thereafter. The value in return on investment to MLSE by landing a local star kid to market their franchise around must have them drooling at the possibility for their cash cow franchise.

Also the trading of Kessel to free up huge cap and $ was done on the premise of making room for a new face of the franchise and striking if the opportunity presented itself. IMO

Yes, Rogers went all in on hockey rights. Having a player of Stamkos profile as the face of the team is very desirable. Bell has local rights and ratings have underwhelmed so they will also be motivated to get the marquee name. Like others have said if he wants to be here he will be. Hopefully it's for Kane/Toews money not 12 or more.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Math behind Stamkos signing.

If MLSE took their 20,000 seat arena and increased ticket prices by $10 per ticket to charge for the extra price of admission to see Stamkos in person at the ACC.

20,0000 seat X $10 ticket entertainment fee X 41 home games = $8.2 mil in gate receipts alone. (without merchandising, advertising, luxury box revenue etc etc).

So if Leafs fans are willing to pay $10 bucks extra for every game they attend at the ACC they could view it as paying Stamkos salary to play for the Blue & White. :)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
100th anniversary season? Highest ticket prices in the League? Media owners losing money on the NHL deal? Interest in the Leafs at a low? Critiques from places like Forbes as the "worst value?"

Of course the Leafs are interested in Stamkos. 100%

Should they be interested in Stamkos? No, probably not. He'll call his shots with a massive contract and if he enjoys a No Trade Clause now, that will be part of the contract going forward.

He doesn't fit the long term picture.

But with all of those reasons in that first paragraph, I suspect that the "long term picture" will change and Stamkos would be the catalyst for that. The pressure for short cuts is there.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I was with you a bit until you started to mention Carrick, Froese, Gauthier and Bozak. These are not guys you offer up as reasoning against signing Stamkos because I would trade all four of them just for his negotiating rights (yes - this is steeped with a bit of hyperbole).

The Leafs don't know what they have in Nylander at the NHL level, nor Marner. Nylander is doing great at centre with the Marlies, he could easily revert to a winger at the NHL level if needed. Marner is in the same situation. They would like to see if he can become a centre, but there's no guarantee.

Stamkos I don't even see as a guaranteed centre. Sure, he would want to play centre, but there's no guarantee that's where he stays long term - no matter where he signs.

Bringing in Stamkos is an easy decision for me. I've seen this team drop 4-5m a year on multiple players who combined can't score as much as Stamkos can on his own. Issue isn't spending big cap money on top players, it's spending big money on 3rd liners and bottom-pairing defenders. With his age, I don't see a big risk over the long-term either. You bring in Stamkos because he adds to a growing group of young talent. And maybe that means all the young players you drafted don't play or fit in for the Leafs long-term, but it also opens the doors for other deals to fill other positions (ala Nashville/Columbus).

This exactly
While Marner ns Nylander look to be future stars, they haven't played a single NHL game.
Stamkos is a no-brainer for me. When was the last time the leafs had a player of his calibre?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Interesting way to look at a potential signing. Kadri will be cheaper but if we need some cap space to sign Stammer, trade both Bozak and Kadri?

That is the way Shanahan would look at it.

Bozak for +$4 mil and Kadri for +$5 mil = ~ $10 mil = Stamkos.

Stamkos #1C at $10 mil + Nylander #2C @ $1 mil is almost the same as paying Bozak and Kadri the similar $10 mil combined.

So if you deal those 2 current centres for futures picks/prospects etc. you already have the cap and roster space for your new replacements essenetially (give or take a $1 mil or 2).

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
The Math behind Stamkos signing.

If MLSE took their 20,000 seat arena and increased ticket prices by $10 per ticket to charge for the extra price of admission to see Stamkos in person at the ACC.

20,0000 seat X $10 ticket entertainment fee X 41 home games = $8.2 mil in gate receipts alone. (without merchandising, advertising, luxury box revenue etc etc).

So if Leafs fans are willing to pay $10 bucks extra for every game they attend at the ACC they could view it as paying Stamkos salary to play for the Blue & White. :)

Leafs don't need to do anything extra to pay for Stamkos as the BOG' probably already budget shanny enough money to be a cap max team....

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He may be exactly like a diamond whatever. You pay a premium to get it then it causes things to be tight on your important bills like the gas, electricity, water, mortgage, property taxes, etc. Then you decide that you can't afford it any longer and discover that no one wants to buy it from you for more than 50 cents on the dollar even though it's still a sparkly diamond whatever.

Running with the assumption Timashov, Marner and future 1sts play in 1-3 years time. The cap is not an issue. Just saying the math works out as contracts will be expiring as well.

Its really a non issue. Kessel paved the way to acquire him.

Kessel -6.8m
Polak -3m
Lupul -5.5m

The replacements for these guys PAP, (Marlie), Marner

We have a few Marlies that need a shot as it stands as well.

snizzbone*

Signing Stamkos isn't a "quick fix". He's a great player who will make our team better. He doesn't cost us assets or anything like the Kessel deal. We can still run out organization like we have the past year, ie getting lots of high potential prospects and letting them develop. If we can add Stamkos and continue to do this, we'll be in a very good position for success in the long haul. The only reason why we should or could be worried about this, is if we were to trade significant assets to acquire his rights, which frankly I don't see us doing so that's a non issue. The other thing is what if for whatever reason Stamkos is not a 40-50-60 goal scorer any more? What happens if we sign him long-term at 10m and he for whatever reason regresses to a 30 guy, that is something I'd be worried about but ultimately it's Steve stamos, he's a monster at everything he does and I fully expect him to play at a high level well into his late 30s.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
I know I'm gonna get pushed head first into the end boards for this... But why can't signing Stamkos be part of the rebuild? It's not like we are trading the farm for Lecavalier or signing a 36 year old superstar on his last legs.... He is still young and would compliment the next generation of leafs... He would still be viable in 5 years. So if we can sign him without losing any players why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad