Will the Maple Leafs even have interest in Steven Stamkos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I don't think it's really comparable.

Kessel is 4 years older and has 50 fewer goals in 200 more NHL games. He's also notoriously lazy and out of shape. Pittsburgh is talking about trading him, even though they're only paying him 6.75 million.

By the time Stamkos and Kessel are the same age, we could potentially be a very competitive team.

Considering that Stamkos and Kessel will never be the same age, that is a very depressing thought.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not sure where you are going with this. The Leafs have 26 million in cap space next year, players coming off of contract in a couple of years, and the majority of players are youngsters and all cost controlled. What exactly are you getting at??

I'm responding to the spend now worry about it later , Toronto should not worry about money, comment . Next year is one thing, a 7 year contract requires a longer view. It was neither a pro or against Stamkos statement but rather a sound budgeting policy. Hope that clarifies things.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm responding to the spend now worry about it later , Toronto should not worry about money, comment . Next year is one thing, a 7 year contract requires a longer view. It was neither a pro or against Stamkos statement but rather a sound budgeting policy. Hope that clarifies things.

You do realize that the Leafs will have the ability to be tough and astute on contracts with their own in house RFAs, right? They control that process.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If some team wants him bad enough to offer him 12, I doubt they would pull the offer after July 1 just because he may want to see if the Leafs are interested. It would be surprising if the team said too bad we don't want you now. Especially if they already gave up an asset to get him for the remainder of the year.

We may offer somebody we had no use for if Stamkos did sign here. Bozak, I guess but certainly I wouldn't be giving up prospects or draft picks, or multiple players.

Yes I have said I wouldn't trade assets for him but I would give them Bozak as he would presumably be taking his spot anyway. This of course would require we could negotiate before making the Trade to ensure he does want to come here at the price Shanagement has decided on. If of course they want him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You do realize that the Leafs will have the ability to be tough and astute on contracts with their own in house RFAs, right? They control that process.

Of course I realise this, does this mean we should not have a financial plan ? Read what I am saying. :shakehead

One more time I am not saying don't sign him, I am saying money does matter. If he fits their financial plan, go for it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Of course I realise this, does this mean we should not have a financial plan ? Read what I am saying. :shakehead

One more time I am not saying don't sign him, I am saying money does matter. If he fits their financial plan, go for it.

Everybody has to slot into the financial plan, and I've outlined mine previously.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

I'd add even with Stamkos this team has a few years to go to work it's way through Lupul, Gleason, Horton, Robidas and even Kessel retention.

Ideally a guy like Stamkos would be interested in the Leafs in a few years time but players of his caliber very rarely become available let alone possibly have interest in playing for the Leafs.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
When Stamkos was Kucherov's age, he had a Rocket Richard in the bank and was good for 50 goals a year and a PPG.

Fast-forward to now, same team, same situation: Last 155 NHL games: Stamkos - 70 goals, 127 points. Kucherov - 59 goals, 127 points.

Amazing how much a broken leg and the absence of an elite playmaker can make.

Stamkos is not the player he used to be.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
What if he never hits UFA? Let's say a team is given permission to speak to Stamkos and his agent. This team ultimately sign him for the balance of his term (this season) and identify a (next) contract that is good for Stamkos that Stamkos would and does sign? Maybe they offer SS $12 m a year starting next year. Can't happen? Never? IDK.

If some team wants him bad enough to offer him 12, I doubt they would pull the offer after July 1 just because he may want to see if the Leafs are interested. It would be surprising if the team said too bad we don't want you now. Especially if they already gave up an asset to get him for the remainder of the year.

We may offer somebody we had no use for if Stamkos did sign here. Bozak, I guess but certainly I wouldn't be giving up prospects or draft picks, or multiple players.

Not sure where the idea of "pulling the offer" comes from? I didn't say anything about it.

The scenario is: Team approaches TBL to speak to the Stamkos camp about a trade for SS this year (the remainder of his current contract). Stamkos (his agent) grants permission knowing that the team in question is interested in a trade and might have something interesting in mind. The involved parties agree and Stamkos is traded to his new team (this season). The new team then extends existing contract, or provides info about a new (next) contract to Stamkos. They back up the Brinks trunk and offer him big money (e.g., 12 m/yr). Stamkos signs and thus never hits the UFA market. How do we know this will never happen?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When Stamkos was Kucherov's age, he had a Rocket Richard in the bank and was good for 50 goals a year and a PPG.

Fast-forward to now, same team, same situation: Last 155 NHL games: Stamkos - 70 goals, 127 points. Kucherov - 59 goals, 127 points.

Amazing how much a broken leg and the absence of an elite playmaker can make.

Stamkos is not the player he used to be.

Well, let's give him an elite playmaker to work with then... oh hey, we have a couple of candidates in the system...

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Well, let's give him an elite playmaker to work with then... oh hey, we have a couple of candidates in the system...

Tampa has had plenty of playmakers for him to work with and they all seem to do better away from Stamkos for some odd reason. Kucherov has been on a nice hot-streak since being moved away from Stamkos. To be fair though, Stamkos is doing a little better himself.

I won't deny that Nylander/Marner could potentially develop some good chemistry though. Key word though: potential. What looks good on paper doesn't always work out on the ice.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tampa has had plenty of playmakers for him to work with and they all seem to do better away from Stamkos for some odd reason. Kucherov has been on a nice hot-streak since being moved away from Stamkos. To be fair though, Stamkos is doing a little better himself.

Names please?

LeafsGeeks

Jan 22, 2016
After the Martin St Louis trade, Stamkos' line mates in tampa have been a joke. His most common line mate is Ryan Callahan, a negative possession player and all all around terrible contributor to offence. Stamkos hasn't played consistently with the other three best forwards on the team (the triplets), or even Drouin. I'm not sure what Cooper has against Stamkos, but he hasn't been setting him up for success.

If Stamkos can come to Toronto and play with say JVR and Marner, whose playmaking style I feel will fit well with Stamkos' scoring ability, I think we have to sign him. Elite talent's hard to come by, and Stamkos wants to come home we should welcome him with open arms. Provided the salary isn't too crazy it makes all the sense in the world to bring the Maple Leafs their first true superstar to build the team around.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Though I think I'm leaning more towards the "pro" side of signing him as we edge closer to July 1st, you can't say things like "you can't worry about money" - smart cap management is one of the most important aspects of building a championship team. Dave Nonis clearly didn't worry about money and turned the Leafs into not just a bottom of the league team, but one that was pressed up against the cap.

Still don't think Stamkos agrees to spend the rest of his prime with a lousy Leafs team, even though they've got a great prospect pool now.

Last edited:

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Here's a purely speculative thought. He isn't developing Kadri to face top opposition matchups to just to maximize Bozak's offensive opportunity and production.

He's doing it now so that Kadri will be ready to do it when Stamkos gets here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Though I think I'm leaning more towards the "pro" side of signing him as we edge closer to July 1st, you can't say things like "you can't worry about money" - smart cap management is one of the most important aspects of building a championship team. Dave Nonis clearly didn't worry about money and turned the Leafs into not just a bottom of the league team, but one that was pressed up against the cap.

Still don't think Stamkos agrees to spend the rest of his prime with a lousy Leafs team, even though they've got a great prospect pool now.

He saw what a rejuvenated Toronto Blue Jays crowd looked like, and it would be awesome if he was helping spearhead a Leafs renaissance. That's the dream. He could be the Leafs version of Josh Donaldson.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Here's a purely speculative thought. He isn't developing Kadri to face top opposition matchups to just to maximize Bozak's offensive opportunity and production.

He's doing it now so that Kadri will be ready to do it when Stamkos gets here.

I think Stamkos is too specific . You don't make hard decisions on maybe's. Unless you are suggesting Babcock secretly knows Stamkos will in fact be joining TML it would be rather foolish of him to plan Kadri's development accordingly. However he may be thinking of Nylander or anticipate there will eventually be an elite offensive option in that position.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He saw what a rejuvenated Toronto Blue Jays crowd looked like, and it would be awesome if he was helping spearhead a Leafs renaissance. That's the dream. He could be the Leafs version of Josh Donaldson.

I don't disagree - I just think to aign him the Leafs are going have to plan very carefully the team's cap situation moving forward. Long term, pricey players like Dion will likely need to be jettisoned.

If the Leafs give Stamkos the money his agent likely wants it means they won't have any wiggle room when it comes to other questionable contracts.

The way I see it, a cup contender has enough room for 1 bad contract - the Kings had Richards, Hawls Bickle. I think I'm definitely now supportive of Shanhan/Lou getting Stamkos, but I do think he's going to be overpaid for what he brings to the team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't disagree - I just think to aign him the Leafs are going have to plan very carefully the team's cap situation moving forward. Long term, pricey players like Dion will likely need to be jettisoned.

If the Leafs give Stamkos the money his agent likely wants it means they won't have any wiggle room when it comes to other questionable contracts.

The way I see it, a cup contender has enough room for 1 bad contract - the Kings had Richards, Hawls Bickle. I think I'm definitely now supportive of Shanhan/Lou getting Stamkos, but I do think he's going to be overpaid for what he brings to the team.

I have no interest planning to carry a bad contract. Stamkos is a great player who will be UFA, and there's a retail price to be paid there because you're not trading prime assets away to get him.

The key is to be a SOB on everyone in house when you have leverage. Squeeze rookies on ELC bonuses, play hardball on RFAs, kill guys in arbitration, get cheap veterans, be tough on raises. Walk away from bad re-signs.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

What are you expecting him to produce when he comes here to play with Marner and Nylander?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What are you expecting him to produce when he comes here to play with Marner and Nylander?

40 plus goals for most of the contract and roughly 85 points annually, and hopefully 90 points at least once.

What's telling to me is you didn't name Stamkos' fantastic playmaking linemates they've been using him with in Tampa. Sounds like it's been a mix of Drouin (who has been a disappointment) sporadically, Killorn, Callahan and only very lately Namestnikov and Palat (as in the last 3-4 games).

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

IF he came here I would expect him to score 30 some goals next year and trend back to the 40s once the kids are up to speed however long that takes. Marner could be his Martin STL, still a bit early to say.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
40 plus goals for most of the contract and roughly 85 points annually, and hopefully 90 points at least once.

Fair expectations that possibly could be a little high, but realistic nonetheless. Atleast he's good for producing against teams like Montreal and NYR when we're finally playing in the postseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad