Will the Flames upgrade the bottom defense pairing for next year

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
If so, what do you suggest. Any names out there that you think the flames would make a run for.

Let go of Smid and Engelland, keep Schlemko and Diaz as #7 and #8 dmen. Make an offer for Tim Gleason.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If so, what do you suggest. Any names out there that you think the flames would make a run for.

Let go of Smid and Engelland, keep Schlemko and Diaz as #7 and #8 dmen. Make an offer for Tim Gleason.

The CBA doesn't really allow for us to simply "let go" of players under contract. Besides, Engelland will be difficult to upgrade (especially with someone like Tim Gleason) and a healthy Smid next season would in itself be an upgrade to the bottom pairing. If he isn't healthy, there's no need to let him go anyway, as he'd be on LTIR or maybe non-roster to reach the floor.

Names that the Flames might shoot for include Mike Green and Christian Ehrhoff.

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
The CBA doesn't really allow for us to simply "let go" of players under contract. Besides, Engelland will be difficult to upgrade (especially with someone like Tim Gleason) and a healthy Smid next season would in itself be an upgrade to the bottom pairing. If he isn't healthy, there's no need to let him go anyway, as he'd be on LTIR or maybe non-roster to reach the floor.

Names that the Flames might shoot for include Mike Green and Christian Ehrhoff.

Only thing is that Smid and Engelland were horrible when paired together. Theyre too slow. I would keep one, not both. I would have liked to see Diaz get more time, hes a very mobile D with a good first pass. The top 2 pairings are so mobile that I would like to see more mobility on the bottom pairing and not have such a huge drop off from the 2nd pairing to the bottom.

Would love to see Green here but doesnt he make 6m.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like Diaz, but I'd keep him over Eggs. Wouldn't mind keeping both if possible.

I think it's likely Smid is LTIR. I like Smid, it would suck, but he needs to do what's best for his future health.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Only thing is that Smid and Engelland were horrible when paired together. Theyre too slow. I would keep one, not both. I would have liked to see Diaz get more time, hes a very mobile D with a good first pass. The top 2 pairings are so mobile that I would like to see more mobility on the bottom pairing and not have such a huge drop off from the 2nd pairing to the bottom.

Would love to see Green here but doesnt he make 6m.

Smid was a different player this year, and it is widely speculated that he was not fully healthy at all this season. Add into that that Engelland, according to Hartley, went through an adjustment period upon joining a new team, and I think that pairing could be a lot better next season.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Engelland-Smid as a pairing just doesn't work in Hartley's system. Too slow and too immobile.

As a slight digression, I'm really curious as to what Treliving was prepared to give up for Myers. Would certainly help in knowing who the team considers expendable.

Aug 21, 2014
As it stands right know:

Gio-Brodie
Russell-Wideman
Schlemko-Engelland

If Wotherspoon and or Morrison surprise, there's your "new" bottom pairing.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

If you think they should drop Engelland, I'd guess you haven't watched a Flames game in a few months.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
If you think they should drop Engelland, I'd guess you haven't watched a Flames game in a few months.

No offence but in my opinion anyone who thinks Engelland wasn't playing above his head after the Giordano injury is kidding themselves. He step up and was ok but was not excellent by any standards. There are definetly upgrades available and you have to seriously look at those.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've honestly been thinking of this all day. And that's not even a joke (I'm spending some hotel nights in a small town for work, not much to do).

Clearly on the bottom pair you absolutely cannot have Smid and Engels playing together. That was good for a goal against a game this year.

BroDano was one of the best in the league and I think that'll stay together.

Russell - Wideman was good, really good this year... But I don't think that Wideman can repeat the year he had this year. Russell's a great little dman with some good skating ability, positioning and blocking everything including cell signals.

Engelland did great when paired with someone who can skate. Witherspoon is a stay at home guy too... So; I don't know if that'd be the best answer for Calgary.

There's a lot to figure out here. You could trade Wideman while his value is at an all time high and see if you could upgrade the middle pair completely? There's some good top 4 guys available, like I think Sekera would kill in Calgary. I also think we need some more muscle in the top 4. It's nice when you have someone who clears the net; but it can't be the guy who only plays 14 minutes a night. Dunno, a lot of questions for sure.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
I've heard rumours that Smid might be done playing hockey. Something to do with a neck injury.

And my opinion on Engelland still stands, that he was barely good enough to play on the third pairing when everyone was healthy. He drags his partners down, whether it's TJ in the top 4 or Diaz on the third pairing.

I know what he did was pretty monumental, but the less he's on the ice the better the team will be.

And you can't hang on to all these third pairing guys. Wotherspoon needs to be playing in the NHL this year. I would like a Wotherspoon Diaz pairing, with Engelland playing sparingly on the pk.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I've heard rumours that Smid might be done playing hockey. Something to do with a neck injury.

And my opinion on Engelland still stands, that he was barely good enough to play on the third pairing when everyone was healthy. He drags his partners down, whether it's TJ in the top 4 or Diaz on the third pairing.

I know what he did was pretty monumental, but the less he's on the ice the better the team will be.

And you can't hang on to all these third pairing guys. Wotherspoon needs to be playing in the NHL this year. I would like a Wotherspoon Diaz pairing, with Engelland playing sparingly on the pk.
There is no rumor about Smid being done. There is alot of fan speculation, nothing more.

And your opinion in Engelland is one of the most asinine I have read. :help:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

That Brodie-Engelland was worse than Brodie-Gio shouldn't really surprise anyone. That's not the same thing as dragging down Brodie, though. Overall, the pairing was effective, and both of those guys contributed to that.

That said, I actually think that using Engelland on the third pairing and on the PK is the ideal situation. I think that's what everyone wants. As long as he's with a mobile guy, he'll be fine. I refuse to read anything into what the Smid-Engelland pairing did this year, simply because Smid was not anywhere close to playing up to his capabilities (we can speculate that it was injury-related if we like). It's as bad an idea as evaluating Chris Butler based on his play with Shane O'Brien.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Wotherspoon hasn't earned a spot. Hartley couldn't trust him for more than 4 minutes a game. Like Treliving said, he has to come to training camp and take a spot away.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
There is no rumor about Smid being done. There is alot of fan speculation, nothing more.

And your opinion in Engelland is one of the most asinine I have read. :help:

Where do you think Engelland should play in the lineup? Try to tell me with a straight face that he played well for the first 3 quarters of the season in a bottom pairing role.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00