Will The AHL Add a 33rd Team to Fix the Carolina Problem?

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
First, maybe try learning how to write in complete sentences and use proper capitalization and punctuation.

And maybe check your facts: Brantford, Ontario is not now and has never been a city that has hosted an AHL franchise.

The AHL was a bus league, but largely is not now. In some places, it still is. But the cheaper travel of operating a bus league isn't much of a concern for teams that don't have independent ownership (meaning they are not owned by an NHL franchise).

Why?

Cheaper travel is great, but the reality is that the AHL exists to keep 10-15 players who are NHL-ready in shape and game ready should an NHL franchise need them. The entire operating budget for an AHL club is, roughly, the cost of an average NHL player contract. So for NHL teams, especially teams that own and operate an AHL franchise, it's a sunk cost. For teams that don't own and operate an AHL franchise, they're looking for several different things in finding a partner, and the No. 1 thing they're looking for is to be able to get players who they need to call up to the NHL to the rink as soon as possible. This means they want proximity to the 41 home games each NHL team plays, and if possible, reasonable access to direct flights to divisional cities. That's the travel that matters.

Teams in the AHL have been flying regularly for two decades, especially teams that have been on the geographical margins of the league. Work out a sponsorship deal with an airline and getting 25 tickets from one hub to another isn't all that expensive - possibly even cheaper than busing.

Syracuse has to be in a busing situation because they couldn't survive as a going concern if they didn't. Dolgon doesn't have that kind of money, and if an NHL team bought the franchise, they'd likely move it out of Syracuse to a closer location with better air service to both the home city and division opponents' cities. When Utica and Belleville fall out of the AHL - and make no mistake, it's a matter of when, not if, they fall out of the league - Syracuse's travel costs go up and Dolgon will possibly have to put the team on the market.

Start thinking from the parent club's perspective, rather than that of a fan, and things make a lot more sense.
This advice definitely doesn't apply to any other posters on this subforum.

Definitely not. Nope.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
In addition the owner's deep pockets, the Wolves draw well. They run a very customer-friendly business and engage in persistent outreach and marketing efforts to anybody that has ever bought a ticket.
Glad that was your experience. As a former season ticket holder who stopped renewing almost eight years ago, I have not had the same touch points from the organization.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Glad that was your experience. As a former season ticket holder who stopped renewing almost eight years ago, I have not had the same touch points from the organization.
Why did you stop renewing? Was it a lack of something or just moving on?

Reactions: Crunchrulz

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Wouldn't the Wolves be better off in the ECHL anyways? The owner and their fanbase are clearly after that model more than the AHL model. While an ECHL title isn't as prestigious, at least they don't have to deal with the constant shuffling of players. I recall a Wolves fan posting during the first year of VGK and that guy was pissed the Knights would call up a few of their players and not play them, hurting their chances of winning. I mean isn't that what the AHL is all about?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The wolves have a very rich owner
He always kills his customers.

I mean... I was wondering when Carolina was going to get an affiliate. Or Florida, if the Hurricanes end up re-affiliating with the Checkers. Kind of like the idea of them adding a few AHL teams to Florida like in Orlando and Jacksonville for Tampa and Florida. As for the Crunch... someone takes them.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

I mean... I was wondering when Carolina was going to get an affiliate. Or Florida, if the Hurricanes end up re-affiliating with the Checkers. Kind of like the idea of them adding a few AHL teams to Florida like in Orlando and Jacksonville for Tampa and Florida. As for the Crunch... someone takes them.
His relationships don’t seem to end well. But he’s very rich. He doesn’t need or want to be a little buddy to a nhl teams need.
He’s in good standing with the Ahl so he can do it.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

It’s delusional to think that a hypothetical southern division wouldn't lead to one or more northeastern markets loosing the AHL.

Reactions: Roadhog

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Wouldn't the Wolves be better off in the ECHL anyways? The owner and their fanbase are clearly after that model more than the AHL model. While an ECHL title isn't as prestigious, at least they don't have to deal with the constant shuffling of players. I recall a Wolves fan posting during the first year of VGK and that guy was pissed the Knights would call up a few of their players and not play them, hurting their chances of winning. I mean isn't that what the AHL is all about?
Here's the thing... The Wolves want to compete but the ECHL talent level isn't as great. Plus, talk to Norfolk and ask them how fun independence was for years. Even if the NHL involvement with an ECHL team is minimal, it absolutely helps with casual fans as well as your goaltending situation.

Basically, Chicago wants high quality talent without the micromanagement. To that end, they probably might need to look into the revival of the IHL (and not the UHL rebrand that was a joke) as I'm not sure how long this is going to last.

Plus, Dundon isn't losing sleep over this. If people think he's the bad guy, so be it. Not the first time he's heard that. And if the NHL has already established a Pacific division, there's a chance they may eventually want to create a Sun Belt division.

It’s delusional to think that a hypothetical southern division wouldn't lead to one or more northeastern markets loosing the AHL.
If I'm a Syracuse or a Milwaukee, I would at least have trepidation right now for what the future holds.

Tie Probert

Sep 9, 2023
Basically, Chicago wants high quality talent without the micromanagement. To that end, they probably might need to look into the revival of the IHL (and not the UHL rebrand that was a joke) as I'm not sure how long this is going to last.
I would love to see an IHL 3.0 but with the higher end talent similar to that of IHL in the 90s. I'm not sure where that talent comes from now but it came from somewhere then, maybe more NHL/AHL teams + KHL players now were IHL players 25 years ago, so its maybe harder to do such a league now?

Reactions: AintLifeGrand

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I immediately think of this when I read those lyrics.

I would love to see an IHL 3.0 but with the higher end talent similar to that of IHL in the 90s. I'm not sure where that talent comes from now but it came from somewhere then, maybe more NHL/AHL teams + KHL players now were IHL players 25 years ago, so its maybe harder to do such a league now?
Well, if they pay competitive salaries around what we see in Liiga and the National League and somehow build quality facilities, they can probably pull European talent and anyone who wants to play in the KHL but doesn't want to deal with the current Russian climate, but I don't know if the NHL will allow an independent, rogue league to pop up.

However... all that takes time. And money. And obviously one rich dude alone ain't gonna do it. You need *lots* of rich dudes. We're not talking "used car dealerships" rich. We're talking "f*** you money" rich.

But, with the eventual changes to the AHL and with only so many spots available in the ECHL to offer, there may be that crossroads to consider for future markets spurned by the NHL; do you fight hard to please your suitors, knowing they'll support you and you do have security at the risk of them skipping town one day, or do you gamble on independence, knowing the risks are greater, but so are the rewards?

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

Well, if they pay competitive salaries around what we see in Liiga and the National League and somehow build quality facilities, they can probably pull European talent and anyone who wants to play in the KHL but doesn't want to deal with the current Russian climate, but I don't know if the NHL will allow an independent, rogue league to pop up.

However... all that takes time. And money. And obviously one rich dude alone ain't gonna do it. You need *lots* of rich dudes. We're not talking "used car dealerships" rich. We're talking "f*** you money" rich.

But, with the eventual changes to the AHL and with only so many spots available in the ECHL to offer, there may be that crossroads to consider for future markets spurned by the NHL; do you fight hard to please your suitors, knowing they'll support you and you do have security at the risk of them skipping town one day, or do you gamble on independence, knowing the risks are greater, but so are the rewards?

For Finns and Swedes it would need to pay more than SHL and NLA as playing on a good team probably takes you out of the world champs

syracuse blazers

Jun 14, 2017
We shall see what we see...There is a reason why the Carolina Hurricanes
got in this mess...it is always about money...and relationships
which are usually always a disaster in the making ...what should make perfect sense is not....what happens...Life can a bowl of ice cream...usually because people
make it that way it's a bowl of mush

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
There should try to put there AHL team in Manchester,nh
They should try to put there parent club in Manchester,nh

You already have a thread to write out your incoherent, unstable, and grammatically incorrect thoughts about Manchester, NH and the AHL.

Don't ruin other threads by distributing them outside the confines of that thread and that empty head of yours

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
We shall see what we see...There is a reason why the Carolina Hurricanes
got in this mess...it is always about money...and relationships
which are usually always a disaster in the making ...what should make perfect sense is not....what happens...Life can a bowl of ice cream...usually because people
make it that way it's a bowl of mush
It's funny that carolina has burned through 2 affiliations in the last 4 yrs and yet no one seems to think it's their fault and that it's the AHL clubs causing the problems. It's 100% about money and the lack of integrity of the carolina owner for changing deals in the middle of them. Did it to charlotte when he decided to change their affiliation payment amount...they ended their relationship when the contract was up, did it to Chicago when he decided to change the agreement about veterans in the AHL and who was paying for them...they moved out a very popular PXP guy over...$$$$$...so yeah it tracks that they have ruined relationships over both money and not honoring deals.

There should try to put there AHL team in Manchester,nh
There was...it is now called the Ontario Reign....was an ECHL team there also...it is now called defunct

Reactions: Roadhog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad