Will The AHL Add a 33rd Team to Fix the Carolina Problem?

Cynicaps

Aug 19, 2011
Letting an NHL team just not have an affiliate is bad.

Letting the Chicago Wolves, who should be expelled from the AHL, is also bad.

Would the AHL add a 33rd team? Or are they that lazy and cruel.

Poor Canes, chew toy of hockey. Alienate the AHL team in their own state and possibly now without an AHL affiliate in perpetuity since the AHL might not want to go to 33.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
WildCat48 provided a detailed response on this topic in the Scott Howson thread so i am just going to quote it here.
You wouldn’t need to find 10 new cities. In my opinion you wouldn’t need to find any new cities as the pressure to bow to the NHL would be too great.

Of the 10 independent franchises (leaving Chicago out for discussion purposes) Providence, Hershey, Lehigh Valley, Cleveland, Grand Rapids and Colorado are not going to risk losing a lucrative affiliation relationship. Springfield, Charlotte, and Syracuse do not have deep pockets to operate as true independent such as what Chicago intends to do. That leave Milwaukee as the sole team that could in theory join Chicago in it attempt to play as an independent and that would be rather difficult to do in a two team league. Even at that point with Milwaukee signing a new five-year affiliation deal, it gives the impression that they wouldn’t side with Chicago in any case.

As much as people want to believe the fans have great sway.... They don’t. The NHL is the primary customer of the AHL, and right now is the one holding all the cards. And they certainly are not going to allow one of its member clubs to be left out in the cold when it comes to the development of its prospects. Especially, a club that’s contributed to the last two Calder Cup champions.

It's going to come down to one of three options. Let’s remember that while the NHL is number one customer of the AHL, Chicago is currently a member in good standing. The AHL can not revoke the franchise without cause, and if it did, it would open itself up to legal action by the Wolves who have the resources to undertake such action so whatever the AHL or the NHL does have to work around that premise so based on that it comes down to three options.

1. The AHL will award a provisional franchise to Carolina. Yes, they’ve said they wouldn’t go to a 33rd franchise, but Chicago might have forced their hand on having no choice. The new franchise would operate normally except they would not have voting rights. How long that will lasted would depend on how long Chicago remains independent.

2. The NHL issues an ultimatum to the AHL that all its clubs need to have a minor league affiliation or risk the NHL separating away from the AHL with 21 clubs folding its franchises, and forming its own Triple-A league. The framework is in place because it was written into the last NHL CBA as intimidation to the league to push it toward a Pacific Division.

3. The NHL takes a wait-and-see approach on the assumption that Chicago is going to fail in its attempt to field a competitive roster. Carolina will share an affiliation with one or multiple teams for a season, and revisit the situation in 2024-2025. That will give everyone one year to see how this plays out while laying the groundwork for what the future looks like because ultimately, the NHL is not going to allow one of its member clubs to be left out of the sandbox without a club because in a salary cap world it’s a disadvantage to not be able to develop your prospects, coaching staff and in some cases management positions.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011

Poor Canes, chew toy of hockey. Alienate the AHL team in their own state and possibly now without an AHL affiliate in perpetuity since the AHL might not want to go to 33.
I'd say its a Chicago Wolves problem, not a Carolina problem.

Reactions: Roadhog

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I'd say its a Chicago Wolves problem, not a Carolina problem.
Actually I'd say it a very much a Carolina problem...Chicago is going independent maybe it's a year maybe its permanent...But 1 thing that is known is that Chicago will field a TEAM...one that all of the players will be on the same page. Carolina will be spreading their players around the league to different teams with different philosophies including GASP!!!!! maybe Chicago. None of the teams are going to be obligated to play those players any certain amount of ice time nor will they be learning the canes systems. Call ups will become difficult due to players being spread around...you might need player A for the game that night but he's out on the west coast somewhere so you have to call up a lesser desired call up because he's closer. Your scouts are going to be spread all over trying to keep track of your player progress. The cohesiveness of your players playing together is gone and could take awhile to manifest itself because they are on the same team etc...So I'd say it's VERY MUCH a CAROLINA problem and all over money...Gee where have I heard Carolina burning relationship with an AHL team over money before??? SOSR...same owner, same result.

Chicago should be "expelled" for what?

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Actually I'd say it a very much a Carolina problem...Chicago is going independent maybe it's a year maybe its permanent...But 1 thing that is known is that Chicago will field a TEAM...one that all of the players will be on the same page. Carolina will be spreading their players around the league to different teams with different philosophies including GASP!!!!! maybe Chicago. None of the teams are going to be obligated to play those players any certain amount of ice time nor will they be learning the canes systems. Call ups will become difficult due to players being spread around...you might need player A for the game that night but he's out on the west coast somewhere so you have to call up a lesser desired call up because he's closer. Your scouts are going to be spread all over trying to keep track of your player progress. The cohesiveness of your players playing together is gone and could take awhile to manifest itself because they are on the same team etc...So I'd say it's VERY MUCH a CAROLINA problem and all over money...Gee where have I heard Carolina burning relationship with an AHL team over money before??? SOSR...same owner, same result.

Chicago should be "expelled" for what?
Carolina owner is a total piece of garbage.

Anyone remember when he sat at the draft table without a sport coat or suite and a baseball cap on ? No respect

I totally understand that he owns the team but every decision goes thru him hence Charlotte becoming Florida AHL team and now Wolves are playing as an independant.

He should go buy a NBA team !!!!

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
As others have noted, the owner of the Wolves has very deep pockets and the organization has had success in the past as an independent. Signing the best five or six vets they can, then filling the rest of the roster out with players who do not qualify for the vet exemption during the season appears to be the course they are planning to take.
Given it is HIGHLY doubtful the AHL implements a Salary Cap that will seemingly affect just the Wolves, if the ownership is willing to spend the money to make the team competitive, so be it.

Reactions: G Backup

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Milwaukee probably has roster space atm to host a couple of forward prospects from Carolina. I only suggest it because they conspired together in the Covid season. And the Admirals seem to have let a fair number of their AHL forwards walk this year, without signing replacements yet. :dunno:

syracuse blazers

Jun 14, 2017
By the way, it was rumored that the Charlotte ahl,
franchise might be for sale a couple of years ago.
Rumors are rumors I have not heard anything lately.

Syracuse may be interested in sharing as well and yes.
Even Florida may be interested sharing with
Charlotte
I do expect something will be announced very shortly.
Don Waddell GM of the Carolina Hurricanes
will play a huge role in this....

In the meantime, the Carolina Hurricanes should buy
Charlotte. This makes too much sense and way too
logical which means it probably won't happen!!!!!

Syracuse may be willing to change affiliation partners
Tampa Bay has really not provided the depth or quality

I do question the hurricanes commitment to their minor league
team
Tampa Bay has been a disappointment lately.
By the way, it is easier to blame the AHL Coach than the system itself.

Last edited:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
To address the OP, it is highly unlikely the AHL will add a 33rd team.

It is much more likely the AHL splits off and forms a new league, leaving the Chicago Wolves off on their own to probably try and form some independent minor league. The NHL owned teams on the West Coast were looking to do that years ago, it would solve a lot of the issues facing the AHL's direct owner, the NHL, in regards to independent ownership. Adding a 33rd team doesn't make much sense from any perspective. Spinning off and forming a directly owned, operated, etc league is what the NHL believes is the best route for them to develop their prospects.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
To address the OP, it is highly unlikely the AHL will add a 33rd team.

It is much more likely the AHL splits off and forms a new league, leaving the Chicago Wolves off on their own to probably try and form some independent minor league. The NHL owned teams on the West Coast were looking to do that years ago, it would solve a lot of the issues facing the AHL's direct owner, the NHL, in regards to independent ownership. Adding a 33rd team doesn't make much sense from any perspective. Spinning off and forming a directly owned, operated, etc league is what the NHL believes is the best route for them to develop their prospects.
I mean, Chicago COULD split off and form their own league, taking some of the markets with them like Milwaukee and Charlotte, but while Chicago's owner is rich, he's not stinking rich, and obviously that would be a bad idea cuz people do not like taking long term risks.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I mean, Chicago COULD split off and form their own league, taking some of the markets with them like Milwaukee and Charlotte, but while Chicago's owner is rich, he's not stinking rich, and obviously that would be a bad idea cuz people do not like taking long term risks.

They are not going to form their own league unless they are forced. They've been playing an intense game with the NHL/AHL for years. If the NHL continues their level of dedication towards making the AHL their prospect development pool, there will be an impasse at some point.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
By the way, it was rumored that the Charlotte ahl,
franchise might be for sale a couple of years ago.
Rumors are rumors I have not heard anything lately.

Syracuse may be interested in sharing as well and yes.
Even Florida may be interested sharing with
Charlotte
I do expect something will be announced very shortly.
Don Waddell GM of the Carolina Hurricanes
will play a huge role in this....

In the meantime, the Carolina Hurricanes should buy
Charlotte. This makes too much sense and way too
logical which means it probably won't happen!!!!!

Syracuse may be willing to change affiliation partners
Tampa Bay has really not provided the depth or quality

I do question the hurricanes commitment to their minor league
team
Tampa Bay has been a disappointment lately.
By the way, it is easier to blame the AHL Coach than the system itself.
Syracuse is lucky to have a NHL partner at all in the current AHL environment, let alone an organization who likes having their farm team in the northeast.

syracuse blazers

Jun 14, 2017
Stop behaving badly. It is not my fault worcester lost their ahl attendance.!!!!!!
Syracuse has a stronger attendance record than worcester in the ECHL !!!!!

If you really bothered to really study the AHL you would know
1 It is a bus league
2 Geographical locations are everything this is the real reason why
Tampa Bay wants for their players easy travel
Rochester
Utica
Brantford
Toronto
wilkes barre scranton
This is the only reason why it works for utica(by the way utica is alot smaller city
and has less attendance than Syracuse
Binghamton was in the league for the exact same purpose
The Syracuse franchise when it was conceived had two offers
The NY Rangers and Vancouver

If things were so strong in Worcester it would have been awarded
another franchise...admit it...you are still angry and Mad!!!!!!
If you going to get mad please address people in Hartford
Ct And Bridgeport
I do wish some people would stop this
Each franchise in the AHL is there for a purpose...some geographical...others
because of tax credits ownership(hartford, ct????)

I do not live in Syracuse anymore...however I do understand the purpose of having
the franchise where it is located...
Please I do beg of you to take your anger elsewhere
I do understand however stop Blaming syracuse and Utica Brantford ontario

Please realize I believe eventually the AHL be entirely owned by each
NHL team and no one in this forum will have any power in where that
franchise is located. That seems to be the trend....
Right now no.....
If I owned an NHL team,,,no fan would have any power or say in that matter
I would place that franchise strictly because that is where I want it to be

Last edited:

syracuse blazers

Jun 14, 2017
Totally disagree
Location Location Location
It's A bus league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People do not fly except
when the NHL calls them up
It is totally TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY
TOTALLY CHEAPER TO run A BUS LEAGUE
iN syracuse
pLEASE PROVE YOUR POINT CRAZY EDDIE
You have not nor will you ever prove your point
The AHL IS A BUS LEAGUE!!!
Start being Practical that by the way is the only
reason syracuse utica stay AROUND
location location location
REMEMBER tHAT EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE
A VERY impractical MEMORY
ahl IS A BUS LEAGUE
TRAVEL IS A A LOT lot LOT SHORTER
pLEASE THINK PRACTICALLY!!!!
UNLESS SOMEONE CAN prove THEIR POINT
WHICH CRAZY EDDIE HAS NOT-
location LOCATION LOCATION
cheaper travel between cities
Start thinking practically!!!!!!

Last edited:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Totally disagree
Location Location Location
It's A bus league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People do not fly except
when the NHL calls them up
It is totally TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY
TOTALLY CHEAPER TO run A BUS LEAGUE
iN syracuse
pLEASE PROVE YOUR POINT CRAZY EDDIE
You have not nor will you ever prove your point
The AHL IS A BUS LEAGUE!!!
Start being Practical that by the way is the only
reason syracuse utica stay AROUND
location location location
REMEMBER tHAT EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE
A VERY impractical MEMORY
ahl IS A BUS LEAGUE
TRAVEL IS A A LOT lot LOT SHORTER
pLEASE THINK PRACTICALLY!!!!
UNLESS SOMEONE CAN prove THEIR POINT
WHICH CRAZY EDDIE HAS NOT-
location LOCATION LOCATION
cheaper travel between cities
Start thinking practically!!!

First, maybe try learning how to write in complete sentences and use proper capitalization and punctuation.

And maybe check your facts: Brantford, Ontario is not now and has never been a city that has hosted an AHL franchise.

The AHL was a bus league, but largely is not now. In some places, it still is. But the cheaper travel of operating a bus league isn't much of a concern for teams that don't have independent ownership (meaning they are not owned by an NHL franchise).

Why?

Cheaper travel is great, but the reality is that the AHL exists to keep 10-15 players who are NHL-ready in shape and game ready should an NHL franchise need them. The entire operating budget for an AHL club is, roughly, the cost of an average NHL player contract. So for NHL teams, especially teams that own and operate an AHL franchise, it's a sunk cost. For teams that don't own and operate an AHL franchise, they're looking for several different things in finding a partner, and the No. 1 thing they're looking for is to be able to get players who they need to call up to the NHL to the rink as soon as possible. This means they want proximity to the 41 home games each NHL team plays, and if possible, reasonable access to direct flights to divisional cities. That's the travel that matters.

Teams in the AHL have been flying regularly for two decades, especially teams that have been on the geographical margins of the league. Work out a sponsorship deal with an airline and getting 25 tickets from one hub to another isn't all that expensive - possibly even cheaper than busing.

Syracuse has to be in a busing situation because they couldn't survive as a going concern if they didn't. Dolgon doesn't have that kind of money, and if an NHL team bought the franchise, they'd likely move it out of Syracuse to a closer location with better air service to both the home city and division opponents' cities. When Utica and Belleville fall out of the AHL - and make no mistake, it's a matter of when, not if, they fall out of the league - Syracuse's travel costs go up and Dolgon will possibly have to put the team on the market.

Start thinking from the parent club's perspective, rather than that of a fan, and things make a lot more sense.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
As others have noted, the owner of the Wolves has very deep pockets and the organization has had success in the past as an independent. Signing the best five or six vets they can, then filling the rest of the roster out with players who do not qualify for the vet exemption during the season appears to be the course they are planning to take.
Given it is HIGHLY doubtful the AHL implements a Salary Cap that will seemingly affect just the Wolves, if the ownership is willing to spend the money to make the team competitive, so be it.
In addition the owner's deep pockets, the Wolves draw well. They run a very customer-friendly business and engage in persistent outreach and marketing efforts to anybody that has ever bought a ticket.

syracuse blazers

Jun 14, 2017
First, maybe try learning how to write in complete sentences and use proper capitalization and punctuation.

And maybe check your facts: Brantford, Ontario is not now and has never been a city that has hosted an AHL franchise.

The AHL was a bus league, but largely is not now. In some places, it still is. But the cheaper travel of operating a bus league isn't much of a concern for teams that don't have independent ownership (meaning they are not owned by an NHL franchise).

Why?

Cheaper travel is great, but the reality is that the AHL exists to keep 10-15 players who are NHL-ready in shape and game ready should an NHL franchise need them. The entire operating budget for an AHL club is, roughly, the cost of an average NHL player contract. So for NHL teams, especially teams that own and operate an AHL franchise, it's a sunk cost. For teams that don't own and operate an AHL franchise, they're looking for several different things in finding a partner, and the No. 1 thing they're looking for is to be able to get players who they need to call up to the NHL to the rink as soon as possible. This means they want proximity to the 41 home games each NHL team plays, and if possible, reasonable access to direct flights to divisional cities. That's the travel that matters.

Teams in the AHL have been flying regularly for two decades, especially teams that have been on the geographical margins of the league. Work out a sponsorship deal with an airline and getting 25 tickets from one hub to another isn't all that expensive - possibly even cheaper than busing.

Syracuse has to be in a busing situation because they couldn't survive as a going concern if they didn't. Dolgon doesn't have that kind of money, and if an NHL team bought the franchise, they'd likely move it out of Syracuse to a closer location with better air service to both the home city and division opponents' cities. When Utica and Belleville fall out of the AHL - and make no mistake, it's a matter of when, not if, they fall out of the league - Syracuse's travel costs go up and Dolgon will possibly have to put the team on the market.

Start thinking from the parent club's perspective, rather than that of a fan, and things make a lot more sense.
By the way
Why has Syracuse Been in the AHL for 30 years?????
Cities close to each other have economic advantages.
The east coast is still easier to run a bus than
fly

Cities in the Midwest or west coast are not that close.
to each other. That is main practical reason.
It is much more expensive to ride a plane
and transfer flights to different cities

If Tampa Bay was interested in putting
a team in let's say Orlando.
you would add air expanses and time.
This takes away from practice and the rink
Some teams do value that extra practice.
This does cost wear and tear on the players bodies.

Which would you rather do-spend two hours?
on the bus??
Or Fly on a plane for how many hours.??
and then you would be tired
Travel does take a toll on the body.

West coast teams choose to do this.
They do realize they are costing,
player development
Time is a precious item. They only do this
for the convenience to call up players

You may be correct Syracuse may eventually lose
their AHL team however fans have to realize
this...I do believe each AHL team will have the
final say where they decide to put their
franchise...Fans will have no Choice
none...So if they decide to put their franchise
in a small city...That is their final decision
not mine ...not yours...strictly the owners
Minor league baseball has started that trend

I do not believe on the east coast only( bus league hockey)will go away very soon. This may happen
however it will have to get a lot cheaper to
be economically viable

This is what will happen in the future
Unbalanced Scheduling will happen
some AHL teams will not play each other
because of strictly Economic restrictions

I may be an oldtimer however until you can
prove that Bus leagues will no longer exist
I will still be stubborn!!!!!

Unlike a lot of people in this forum
I do apologize sometimes I get angry.

This is strictly my opinion only teams whether
you like it or not that teams that have been around for
a long time in the AHL deserve your respect
You do not have to like it.

Syracuse has been in the AHL(coming Season)
30 years,
This is also my opinion and my opinion
only if you want to earn respect than give
credit where credit is due

Please everyone( I am not afraid to beg)
be kind to everyone it will make this forum
a lot better
Thank you...for your kindness

Last edited:

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
By the way
Why has Syracuse Been in the AHL for 30 years?????
Travel(east coast only) has been the main reason
I am not talking about the west coast
or midwest or any other location.
You are still making no clear sense
I will tell you why

I am talking strictly from a practical location
If Tampa Bay was interested in putting
a team in let's say Orlando
you would add air expanses and time
away from practice and the rink
Some teams do value that extra practice
wear and tear on the players bodies greatly
Which would you rather do-spend two hours
on the bus...
or Fly on a plane for how many hours
West coast teams choose to do this
and they do realize they are costing
player development
Time is a precious item..rs

By the way please explain spending more hours
on a plane for how many hours will speed up
in player development???
It does not...any way you slice it

Frankly, you still have not really looked at a
from a practical standpoint
Bus travel is cheaper than Air
at least on the East Coast
That is why the international
league(baseball) has teams in Syracuse Rochester
etc
You may be right Syracuse and utica
and whoever may lose their AHL franchise.

However if I wanted my team in one location
of my choosing no one on this forum
would have any say in the matter and that
will be the outcome in the future.
People can throw out their opinions all they want
in this forum
The only thing that matters is WHAT DOES THE
OWNER THINK...and that is what everyone should
be seeking...His Choosing...not yours

I do not believe on the east coast(bus league)
will go away very soon. This may happen
however it will have to get a lot cheaper to
be economically viable

This is what will happen in the future
Unbalanced Scheduling will happen
some AHL teams will not play each other
because of strictly Economic restrictions

Why has Utica been in the league for so long
Tampa Bay has always stated that traveling
by bus saves the wear and tear on players
which makes perfect sense
When Norfolk left the AHL it was simply
the team was too far away
What is this, a poem?

You literally don't understand the purpose of the modern AHL.

It's a holding tank to keep players ready for the NHL. That's it and that's all. The AHL schedule has been unbalanced for years. Teams that don't want to travel by air don't have to. The travel cost is part of the cost of doing business to all the NHL owned and operated teams. If that means they have to occasionally, or more than occasionally, travel by air, they will.

The first need for an NHL team is to be able to get an AHL player to an NHL game as quickly as possible when they need them.

The second need is development, but they can get that in any market where there happens to be an AHL team.

The cost of travel and hotels and operating the franchise, for the 20 AHL teams owned by NHL clubs, is just a cost of doing business.

As far as baseball goes, Triple-A teams have been traveling by air since the 1960s. That Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo still have teams at that level is more of a testament to what those cities once were economically and socially than to anything related to the business of operating a Triple-A club.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Getting back to the OP because this thread has gone off the rails a bit...

My two cents on the question of a 33rd team solely depends on two things. 1. How successful the Wolves are in operating independently. and 2. How much pressure is applied by the NHL/Hurricanes on the league to allow a 33rd franchise. I'm sure there's a handful of NHL teams that would be interested in owning and operating even if the Hurricanes were not.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Getting back to the OP because this thread has gone off the rails a bit...

My two cents on the question of a 33rd team solely depends on two things. 1. How successful the Wolves are in operating independently. and 2. How much pressure is applied by the NHL/Hurricanes on the league to allow a 33rd franchise. I'm sure there's a handful of NHL teams that would be interested in owning and operating even if the Hurricanes were not.

What if they put the 33rd team in Family Arena?

• Haha
Reactions: mk80

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
In addition the owner's deep pockets, the Wolves draw well. They run a very customer-friendly business and engage in persistent outreach and marketing efforts to anybody that has ever bought a ticket.
Facts which are hard for the average AHL fan, who does not understand the commitment of the Wolves Ownership, to understand.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
What is this, a poem?
No, song lyrics.
You literally don't understand the purpose of the modern AHL.

It's a holding tank to keep players ready for the NHL. That's it and that's all. The AHL schedule has been unbalanced for years. Teams that don't want to travel by air don't have to. The travel cost is part of the cost of doing business to all the NHL owned and operated teams. If that means they have to occasionally, or more than occasionally, travel by air, they will.
There was a period where the Pacific Division had fewer games than everyone else. Wasn't until two years ago that things got balanced, and it was because they reduced the games for everyone.
The first need for an NHL team is to be able to get an AHL player to an NHL game as quickly as possible when they need them.

The second need is development, but they can get that in any market where there happens to be an AHL team.

The cost of travel and hotels and operating the franchise, for the 20 AHL teams owned by NHL clubs, is just a cost of doing business.

As far as baseball goes, Triple-A teams have been traveling by air since the 1960s. That Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo still have teams at that level is more of a testament to what those cities once were economically and socially than to anything related to the business of operating a Triple-A club.
Also, in the case of baseball, it was more or less baseball being more slow to synergize the minors over the years. The 1960s saw the first major overhaul, with them eliminating 2/3rds of the system, as there were over a dozen letters of various quality for players to go through all around the nation, which was done due to both the rise of television and the stark decline of the live gate at many venues in the lower ranks causing teams to fold, leading to mass confusion as to who was available every season. The next major overhaul was in the 1990s, which required venues to modernize and provide amenities that minor league teams had to pay, which not every team was happy about, which then resulted in independent leagues being formed; leagues with a lower salary cap and ballparks with lower maintenance costs in places that the MiLB would likely never visit or return to. And, we saw another bloodletting recently where MLB eliminated a bunch of teams and only offered amnesty to a select few in independent ball. Those Triple A markets have stuck around in spite of the decline of Rust Belt cities due to the difficulty of getting major metropolitan markets to support the arrival of minor league sports as opposed to major league teams, as you can muster up more enthusiasm for an NFL or NBA team coming than, say, an ECHL or International League team. Remember; minor leagues don't have TV deals or major corporate sponsorships.

The case of minor league hockey wasn't as obvious due to how much more difficult it is to build and operate hockey rinks compared to a ballpark diamond, though we do have another instance in the 1980s and 90s where we saw the IHL try and compete with the NHL and the WPHL attempt to build arenas in the Southwest with hockey teams as primary tenants, and right now to a much smaller degree with the FPHL being, well, the FPHL.

AHL poobahs are kind of oblivious to this cuz, you know, they assume that they'll always have the AHL in their town. It's their birthright, you know?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00