Will Pittsburgh miss the playoffs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Pittsburgh and Chicago have the two longest playoff streaks in the NHL, and they are both currently 9th in their respective conferences.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t think they will miss but people really don’t understand how lucky they have been in their wins.

Think they aren’t fully understanding how nuts the Metro is on top of it.

Pitt could have a 96 or 97 point season, which would be a success in any other year, but that could still leave them outside of the playoffs because the Metro is insane and the current playoff format is awful.

No question they are a good team, but they aren’t a juggernaut and they have a lot of playoff mileage built up and play on a ridiculous division.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I don’t think they will miss but people really don’t understand how lucky they have been in their wins.

How so?

The 2016 team was arguably the 2nd best Cup winner since the lockout. Last year you could say they were lucky to win but that was because of some bad luck with injuries. They proved to be incredibly resilient last year.

Besides that, they had the 2nd best record in the NHL over those two seasons despite major injury issues so they weren't a mediocre team that got hot at the right time.

Besides that, they had to got through the Presidents Cup winning team twice and the #4 team last year too so it's not like they had an easy path to the finals.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
How so?

The 2016 team was arguably the 2nd best Cup winner since the lockout. Last year you could say they were lucky to win but that was because of some bad luck with injuries. They proved to be incredibly resilient last year.

Besides that, they had the 2nd best record in the NHL over those two seasons despite major injury issues so they weren't a mediocre team that got hot at the right time.

Besides that, they had to got through the Presidents Cup winning team twice and the #4 team last year too so it's not like they had an easy path to the finals.

Who cares about the cup? They have. -10 goal diff. They have 6 or so OT wins. They’ve gotten bad puck luck and goaltending. They should be in no mans land (not bad,not good). Even though they have talent I’m not sure how they are almost in the playoffs right now

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Who cares about the cup? They have. -10 goal diff. They have 6 or so OT wins. They’ve gotten bad puck luck and goaltending. They should be in no mans land (not bad,not good). Even though they have talent I’m not sure how they are almost in the playoffs right now

I though you meant their Cup wins were lucky.

As for their wins this year, I would say they are playing like they did in the playoffs, albeit not as successful, doing what they need to do win games. I don't think anyone would be surprised to see them get stronger as the year goes on and position themselves as the #3 or 4 seed in the conference.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
The Devils are starting to slide abit, I expect them to be out and the Penguins to slide into the last wc spot. i expect Pittsburgh to make a trade at some point to get a 3c.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Looking at games that ended in OT Last year Chicago was 9-8 in OT, Washington was 12-5, Ottawa was 4-6, Edmonton was 6-4, etc. Calgary was 9-2 in OT but made the playoffs. why arent they included in your stats? Your basing your argument on Pittsburgh winning several games in OT but it really doesn't matter how they get the wins. You are picking out examples that fit your argument while ignoring what doesn't fit.

Ottawa was 4-6, and made the ECF. Philly was 7-5, and missed the playoffs. Minnesota was 4-6, and had the 2nd best record in the West. Nashville was 4-8, and almost won the Cup. I'm not picking examples to fit my argument. My argument is that 3v3 OT and SO wins are random. Bad teams can have a lot. Good teams can have few. Bad teams can have few. Good teams can have a lot. Washington was 2-5 in the SO. Toronto was 1-8. Arizona was 6-2.

The better your record in regulation, the more likely you are to make the playoffs. That's all my argument is. How the Pens get their wins doesn't matter, that's true, unless they lose a lot in regulation. Right now, they're in the bottom 10 in regulation losses. If they lose more in regulation than they win, and are either as close as they are to a playoff spot, or in a playoff spot, depending in how you look at it, that's surviving on 3v3 OT wins. Which is fine. It's a long season. You do what you have to do. If you can buy yourself time, by getting those OT points, you give yourself a chance to get out of whatever funk you're in. If you end up relying on those OT wins though, you take your chances.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
They're too good to miss. The problem is that there are 6 Metro teams competing for a maximum of 5 spots, which means that a good team is likely to miss the playoffs. I don't think it will be Pittsburgh unfortunately.
Same. I think the Islanders or Devils will miss the playoffs.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
They're too good to miss. My guess is they finish in a top 3 spot in the Metro and knock off Washington in the first or second round again. It will be one of NJ NYR or NYI missing the playoffs. IMO

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
I'd hate to be a team playing against them late in the season...

19QBKEw.jpg

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
They won't miss, they've been completely coasting so far this season. Maybe 3 or 4 games they've actually played hard. Well i guess they could miss if they decide they don't care and continue coasting, but i doubt it. Whether they can threepeat is in doubt though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins aren't going to miss the playoffs, they're barely out of a playoff spot right now while getting absolutely unsustainable production at ES. They'll probably end up 2nd or 3rd in the Metro comfortably with around 100 points.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
No they won't. Crosby is heating up.

Heating up his golf clubs already? Absolutely classless, disgrace to his team which hasn't given up yet

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Washington is currently praying that the Pens and Rangers don't make the playoffs.
Doubt it even for Pens, but Rags?? o_O
I wouldn't mind seeing Caps-Rags series #6 this past decade. Most likely Caps win it.

Maybe you're not aware Caps won the first two, one iirc was a decisive 4-1 affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad