Will Pittsburgh miss the playoffs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Even with the OT/SO points, I don't believe any team that has been below .500 in regulation has made the playoffs. If any have, it's a small number. Right now, the Pens have 3 more losses in regulation than they have wins. They're surviving on the extra point for winning in OT. They're tied with Detroit, and only ahead of Florida, Montreal, and Buffalo in regulation losses in the East. As a Kings fan, I know that doesn't tend to work.

If they don't fix what's happening in the first 60 minutes of a game, they'll probably miss the playoffs.

What extra point are they getting for winning in OT? It is two points and that is the same if they win in regulation. I could understand if they were winning in the shoot out but they aren't. This is a poor attempt at trying to manipulate stats to fit your argument. The last time I checked, winning a game in OT still counts. See the ECF if you do not understand.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
They're too good to miss. The problem is that there are 6 Metro teams competing for a maximum of 5 spots, which means that a good team is likely to miss the playoffs. I don't think it will be Pittsburgh unfortunately.

Good teams miss the playoffs all the time. Looking at NJ, NYI, NYR I'm not sure that any of them should be a considered a surprise team to miss the playoffs. They're about as good the typical 'bubble team'. I agree it is a strong division with only two mediocre/bad teams (CAR + PHI), but it won't be a travesty when one of the top-6 misses. PITT would obiouvsly he a huge shocker. CBJ and WSH less so, but still a surprise.

I think one or two of CHI, MIN, DAL missing is equally as 'surprising' as a NYC/NJ team.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm thinking that was supposed to say any team NOT named the Caps/BlueJackets/Lightning...

He was replying to a guy who said exactly what you said, I doubt he made a mistake there.

Good teams miss the playoffs all the time. Looking at NJ, NYI, NYR I'm not sure that any of them should be a considered a surprise team to miss the playoffs. They're about as good the typical 'bubble team'. I agree it is a strong division with only two mediocre/bad teams (CAR + PHI), but it won't be a travesty when one of the top-6 misses. PITT would obiouvsly he a huge shocker. CBJ and WSH less so, but still a surprise.

I think one or two of CHI, MIN, DAL missing is equally as 'surprising' as a NYC/NJ team.

I think Pittsburgh can be more than a bubble team. They need to pick up their play all around. Not scoring enough goals and not defending well enough. It feels like Kessel is the only one performing up to his usual standards there.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What extra point are they getting for winning in OT? It is two points and that is the same if they win in regulation. I could understand if they were winning in the shoot out but they aren't. This is a poor attempt at trying to manipulate stats to fit your argument. The last time I checked, winning a game in OT still counts. See the ECF if you do not understand.

The ECF was 5v5 OT, not 3v3 for 5 minutes. The Kings had the most 3v3 OT wins last year, and missed the playoffs by 10 points, because they had 25 wins, and 35 losses, in regulation. I'm just saying I've seen the movie before. It's tough to rely on 3v3 points. As of right now, that's what Pittsburgh is doing.

Right now, the Pens have 6 OT wins, most in the league, which are worth 6 points, since you get a point for being tied at the end of regulation. However, they have the 23rd overall regulation points% record in the league, 3 games under .500 at 10-13-9. They're currently 9th in total points% in the East. That's surviving on 3v3 OT wins. Doesn't mean they can't turn it around, and all points do count, but they currently have more regulation losses than just 5 teams. Montreal, Florida, Buffalo, Edmonton, and Arizona. Tied with Detroit, Dallas, Colorado, and Vancouver. If that continues, they'll probably have to win a ton of games in OT to make the playoffs.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No, of course not. In fact, this thread is going to look real funny when Pittsburgh turns it on in Feb/March and they look like an unstoppable juggernaut heading into the playoffs, and there is a thread on the boards titled, "Is there anyone that can stop Pittsburgh from three-peating?"

The Penguins are a championship team and organization. They know what it takes to win the marathon and not the sprint. As a Caps fan it pains me to admit all of this but it's the truth. Right now betting odds should be Pittsburgh vs the field.

Reactions: td_ice

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There's no way the 2015 Kings can miss the playoffs! They're coming off 2 Cups in 3 years and are getting healthy, getting past all their roster adversity, and have a favorable schedule down the stretch!

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
The ECF was 5v5 OT, not 3v3 for 5 minutes. The Kings had the most 3v3 OT wins last year, and missed the playoffs by 10 points, because they had 25 wins, and 35 losses, in regulation. I'm just saying I've seen the movie before. It's tough to rely on 3v3 points. As of right now, that's what Pittsburgh is doing.

Right now, the Pens have 6 OT wins, most in the league, which are worth 6 points, since you get a point for being tied at the end of regulation. However, they have the 23rd overall regulation points% record in the league, 3 games under .500 at 10-13-9. They're currently 9th in total points% in the East. That's surviving on 3v3 OT wins. Doesn't mean they can't turn it around, and all points do count, but they currently have more regulation losses than just 5 teams. Montreal, Florida, Buffalo, Edmonton, and Arizona. Tied with Detroit, Dallas, Colorado, and Vancouver. If that continues, they'll probably have to win a ton of games in OT to make the playoffs.

There is no doubt that the Pens are struggling at the moment. I do think you are trying too hard to make a connection between how the Kings missed the playoffs and potentially the Pens doing the same. Is it possible Pitt misses the playoffs? absolutely. Will it come down to them winning regulation or OT games? Unlikely.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
He was replying to a guy who said exactly what you said, I doubt he made a mistake there.

I think Pittsburgh can be more than a bubble team. They need to pick up their play all around. Not scoring enough goals and not defending well enough. It feels like Kessel is the only one performing up to his usual standards there.

Sorry I missed that quote. Pittsburgh is definitely not better than Tampa as of now.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There is no doubt that the Pens are struggling at the moment. I do think you are trying too hard to make a connection between how the Kings missed the playoffs and potentially the Pens doing the same. Is it possible Pitt misses the playoffs? absolutely. Will it come down to them winning regulation or OT games? Unlikely.

If they're in the bottom 10 in regulation losses by game 82, they're going to have an extremely difficult time making the playoffs. Making the playoffs or not will only come down to regulation or OT wins if they keep losing in regulation, but the other teams around them don't. That can flip quickly, they could easily win 6 or 7 in a row in regulation, and they're basically home free.

All I'm saying is that OT and SO wins are far more random than those in regulation. Colorado was 7-2 in OT last year, and they were atrocious as a team. Detroit was 9-0 in the SO, and nowhere close to a playoff spot. Anaheim was 3-10 in OT, but easily made the playoffs, and won the division. This year, Edmonton is 4-1 in OT, but in the bottom 5, and Winnipeg is 0-5 in OT, but in the top 5.

Assuming Pittsburgh gets some saves with Murray back and healthy, they should have more than enough offense to be just fine. Niemi was 0-3 in regulation. That right there accounts for their 10-13-9 record in the first 60 minutes of a game. Still only .500 though. Take out the DeSmith loss, and now it's 10-9-9 in regulation, which is looking better already.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
They've played too much hockey the past 2 years. Not impossible to threepeat, but that's why teams struggle over the years.
The NHL record is of course 5 consecutive cups (Habs in 1955-56 - 1959-60). And the most recent 3+ is NYI at 4 consecutive in 1979-80 - 1982-83.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Rough start, but I'm sure they'll wind up making the playoffs, and I'm sure they'll still be a really tough series for any team.

Not sure about three-peating, but they could possibly do just that. Hell, they might even four-peat next season, and five-peat the season after.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
If they're in the bottom 10 in regulation losses by game 82, they're going to have an extremely difficult time making the playoffs. Making the playoffs or not will only come down to regulation or OT wins if they keep losing in regulation, but the other teams around them don't. That can flip quickly, they could easily win 6 or 7 in a row in regulation, and they're basically home free.

All I'm saying is that OT and SO wins are far more random than those in regulation. Colorado was 7-2 in OT last year, and they were atrocious as a team. Detroit was 9-0 in the SO, and nowhere close to a playoff spot. Anaheim was 3-10 in OT, but easily made the playoffs, and won the division. This year, Edmonton is 4-1 in OT, but in the bottom 5, and Winnipeg is 0-5 in OT, but in the top 5.

Assuming Pittsburgh gets some saves with Murray back and healthy, they should have more than enough offense to be just fine. Niemi was 0-3 in regulation. That right there accounts for their 10-13-9 record in the first 60 minutes of a game. Still only .500 though. Take out the DeSmith loss, and now it's 10-9-9 in regulation, which is looking better already.

Looking at games that ended in OT Last year Chicago was 9-8 in OT, Washington was 12-5, Ottawa was 4-6, Edmonton was 6-4, etc. Calgary was 9-2 in OT but made the playoffs. why arent they included in your stats? Your basing your argument on Pittsburgh winning several games in OT but it really doesn't matter how they get the wins. You are picking out examples that fit your argument while ignoring what doesn't fit.

Last edited:

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
There's no way the 2015 Kings can miss the playoffs! They're coming off 2 Cups in 3 years and are getting healthy, getting past all their roster adversity, and have a favorable schedule down the stretch!

The kings had lot of turnover no? with Mitchell gone and Voynov debacle etc... the biggest thing with the penguins is their depth right now, Their top guys are playing solid. Kessel's having a career year. Ol man Jimmy needs to make few moves to bolster the bottom 6 and they're right back into business. Plenty of time to do that.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Depends if JR fixes this roster. I don't think they will 3 peat, they are exhausted enough as it is. Pretty sure some moves will be made and we make it, though.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
They are currently out of a playoff spot as we speak. Maybe they are exhausted. Who knows.
No they don't miss the playoffs but if they did then win the draft lottery and with the 1st overall pick the Pittsburgh Penguins draft Rasmus Dahlin

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Pens didn’t do nearly enough this offseason. Rutherford sat on his old crusty hands allowing all of our UFAs sign elsewhere without replacing them with actual NHL players. Our bottom six is in shambles compared to last season. I don’t think they are a lock to make the playoffs unless Rutherford puts down his bingo card and starts to try to fix this roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad