Will Parise and Clarkson be booed at the Rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I didn't bring up the 2012-13 season because that is where the similarity between the situations ends.

You can argue that Waddell's scouting was equal to Lou's, since Bergfors was a 1st-round pick and Cormier was a 2nd. The Devils were hoping they would pan out when they drafted them, and the Thrashers were hoping they would pan out when they traded for them. You can argue that the two franchises had the same expectations for those players. Oduya was just Oduya.

And by your logic we didn't lose Parise for nothing. So we kept him to make a fairly successful playoff run, and wound up using an asset we had because of our playoff absence, to acquire a #1 goalie. Not bad.

Bergfors was relegated to our 4th line by JL every chance he had cause he had the Tedenby syndrom... small, fragile, doesn't play the body, can't play D and isn't all that great on offense either to stay in our top #6. Cormier was a cracked out kid who threw a vicious elbow to some kid in the "Q" and went south ever since, Oduya was a 2nd pairing d-man on a blueline that was brutal at the time and they even accepted to swap 2nd's, giving us almost a late 1st round pick when looking at were we were about to pick.

If that isn't one of the biggest steals in recent memories, I don't know what is.

Anyways, we'll agree to disagree... no hard feelings (and I'm hungry, so I'm getting a sandwich)

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

It wasn't dumb for Waddell to trade Kovy, they were 50-50 just to make the playoffs nevermind do anything in them. They should rebuild. Especially considering Kovy turned down 100 million plus there.

Playoff teams do not trade their UFA's at the deadline, ever - other than the Sharks last year who made two brilliant deals with expendable pieces. I guarantee they wouldn't have dealt Couture if he was a FA though. I didn't see Boston dealing Nathan Horton either, so lets not act like Lou's the only GM that doesn't trade UFA's off playoff teams.

That moves Wilson pulled were pure genius. I can understand the point of not moving Parise, even if I would've done it myself, but not moving Clarkson when we aren't making the playoffs is something I never understood from Lou.

Why not get a solid, solid return for a guy that will ask the moon come summer. For crying out loud, Douglas Murray landed two 2nd round picks and that guy is on the same level as Volchenkov.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Things worth noting about Zach Parise: in the 2012 run to the finals, he played the easiest minutes out of our entire forward group and possibly the entire team. He's the only skater with a combination of a high percentage of offensive zone starts and a low (as in...the lowest on the team) corsi rel QoC (the corsi ratings of the players he's on the ice against at even strength).

With those minutes, a guy of Parise's caliber should be absolutely crushing his competition, but like we've seen so many times in the past, it didn't happen. He performed well on the shot clock, as should be expected with those minutes, but even with an average on-ice shooting percentage, he and his lines were never the offensive force the Devils needed them to be.

Zach Parise is a very good hockey player still, and he was instrumental in some big moments of those playoffs (here's a good example, but it's safe to say that any contract he signed was going to be a burden VERY soon. Judging by his last season/playoffs, that "soon" might be even sooner than we expected. Not trading Parise was a hugely important move for Lou, as he helped the Devils keep their phenomenal depth into the playoffs. That run to the finals was huge after missing the playoffs the year before, and our attendance numbers certainly making it seem like there was a revitalization of sorts regarding the Devils' popularity.

But not signing Parise was just as important. I'm pretty positive Parise is going to go down as yet another UFA that we were better off for letting go.

In summary, Kovay 4eva, Pari$e sux, LGD.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

And the "if" parade was a work of genius... whatever you say.

:laugh:

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
Why I will boo Zach Parise: Consistently lied about his desire to remain in New Jersey; communicated with a friend on where to play and basically saying, I'll sign where you sign; after leaving, his snide comments about our franchise.

Why I will not boo David Clarkson: When informed that Lou had decided to move on from Clarkson, I'm pretty sure he was sad at hearing this and stated that we were still an option for him up until he made his decision. Not to mention I now get to laugh at how ridiculous his contract is LOL

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah, I have no ill will toward Clarkson, I'll love that little 'tard wherever he goes. I just hope Toronto fans don't turn on him or anything when his contract starts to look like the worst in the NHL (assuming Parise's doesn't beat him there).

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Yeah, I have no ill will toward Clarkson, I'll love that little 'tard wherever he goes. I just hope Toronto fans don't turn on him or anything when his contract starts to look like the worst in the NHL (assuming Parise's doesn't beat him there).

That's the only reason I hope that Toronto can temper its expectations.
The guy is a living success story, you can't help but root for him. He's overcome his own lack of skill to become an accomplished NHL player.

The pressure is so high in Toronto, and the standards set by that contract are astronomical... he won't deserve the criticism that is headed his way just because some overzealous GMs offered up the moon. Really hope he does well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That moves Wilson pulled were pure genius. I can understand the point of not moving Parise, even if I would've done it myself, but not moving Clarkson when we aren't making the playoffs is something I never understood from Lou.

Why not get a solid, solid return for a guy that will ask the moon come summer. For crying out loud, Douglas Murray landed two 2nd round picks and that guy is on the same level as Volchenkov.

The Clarkson thing can at least be debated, but the Devils were still in playoff position at the time and Clarkson was the leading scorer on the team at the time. They couldn't deal him without completely torpedoing their chances at the postseason. If Kovy didn't get hurt maybe we're writing a different narrative about the Clarkson non-trade, but at least that one's debatable.

Too bad Volchenkov's not getting paid Murray's salary :p:

Vilgraining

Jul 7, 2012
Jeez, I didn't realize so many people believed everything athletes said, but after reading so many people crying about "how" Zach left. I can see why athletes are so vanilla when they get interviewed.

People care more about "how" Zach left to go to his home then people care about Gomez who showed no loyalty and went to our biggest rival. Head scratcher. I thought actions spoke louder than words.

People were upset when Nieds left to play with his brother because he took like a day to make a decision.

Next time an athlete says they love playing where they are and these are the best fans in the world, just realize they all say that. Then the next time someone leaves, it won't hurt because of the "how".

Vilgraining

Jul 7, 2012
The Clarkson thing can at least be debated, but the Devils were still in playoff position at the time and Clarkson was the leading scorer on the team at the time. They couldn't deal him without completely torpedoing their chances at the postseason. If Kovy didn't get hurt maybe we're writing a different narrative about the Clarkson non-trade, but at least that one's debatable. :

See this is what annoys me more than any player leaving. Lou should try to sign these guys early, like almost every other team is doing these days. If they won't sign for long term, then trade them. Do what Shero did with Staal. If Parise did want to go home, trade him there and get something good for him. He would still have a year left, and the Wild can sign him to a long term deal. If Shero got a first, an NHL player who was a first and a prospect who was a second round pick, no reason to think that Lou couldn't have got more, and the Wild have a stacked prospect pool. And Lou could have done the same thing with Clarkson. But his philosophy of not signing guys early, doesn't allow him to see who really wants to stay. Then we lose good player after good player after good player.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nieds took like 3 days to decide I think.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Nieds took like 3 days to decide I think.

How is it even possible you remember everything, ever? Seriously dude, at this point I don't know if you're just really good at remembering trivial stuff or just saying it and hoping it's close enough that we buy in.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
I'm not booing either. Both played their hearts out here and left as UFA's.

It's ridiculous to boo players for signing with other teams. Move on.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How is it even possible you remember everything, ever? Seriously dude, at this point I don't know if you're just really good at remembering trivial stuff or just saying it and hoping it's close enough that we buy in.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was about 3 days. I'll go look up for verification though!

UFA apparently began on August 1st of 2005, and it says Niedermayer signed with Anaheim on August 4th of 2005. So it was 3 days, and identical to Parise. UFA started on July 1st of 2012, and he left on the 4th. I remember it taking a few days with Nieds. In fact, Niedermayer and Parise are likely the two longest UFA's it took to make a decision, or at least from a Devils perspective.

Gomez and Holik both left on the first day of UFA eligibility, as did Clarkson. Vilgraining said that it took like a day for Nieds to make his decision, but I remembered it certainly being longer than that. I remember a lot of people talking about the certain UFA's that were grabbed up in between the time Nieds made his decision. Gonchar and Foote are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Jeez, I didn't realize so many people believed everything athletes said, but after reading so many people crying about "how" Zach left. I can see why athletes are so vanilla when they get interviewed.

People care more about "how" Zach left to go to his home then people care about Gomez who showed no loyalty and went to our biggest rival. Head scratcher. I thought actions spoke louder than words.

People were upset when Nieds left to play with his brother because he took like a day to make a decision.

Next time an athlete says they love playing where they are and these are the best fans in the world, just realize they all say that. Then the next time someone leaves, it won't hurt because of the "how".

Wait, are you saying Devils fans didn't care about how Gomez left?

Vilgraining

Jul 7, 2012
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was about 3 days. I'll go look up for verification though!

UFA apparently began on August 1st of 2005, and it says Niedermayer signed with Anaheim on August 4th of 2005. So it was 3 days, and identical to Parise. UFA started on July 1st of 2012, and he left on the 4th. I remember it taking a few days with Nieds. In fact, Niedermayer and Parise are likely the two longest UFA's it took to make a decision, or at least from a Devils perspective.

Gomez and Holik both left on the first day of UFA eligibility, as did Clarkson. Vilgraining said that it took like a day for Nieds to make his decision, but I remembered it certainly being longer than that. I remember a lot of people talking about the certain UFA's that were grabbed up in between the time Nieds made his decision. Gonchar and Foote are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

I think technically he told Lou the night before. And 3 days isn't holding anyone hostage, which was my point. And I think Kovy took a little longer, but I assume you mean Devils that left.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Nieds did take a few days as Bleedred mentioned and is why we got ****ed with no defensive free agents left on the market so we signed Malakhov and McGillis to ridiculous deals

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Exactly.
I'd rather a player tell the team to piss off in the first 5 minutes rather than hem and haw for days when they had no intention to re-sign in the first place.
You handcuff the team from making moves, especially when you're a player of Nieds/Parise's caliber and are about to create a rather large hole.

I mean... can you imagine if we went through that whole summer just to have Kovalchuk decide not to come back?
We woof at last year's forward core... but do you remember what some of those forward lineups looked like? Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad