• Already is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The puck was back there and so was he. He is supposed to be the winger ladt i checked. He is playing like a center and he was in good position. So were kappy and willy.

Puck support is defensive position even strength, penalty kill or powerplay. Whats your point?
You do not watch games at all as on the first PP unit he is always coming late as the last man same as Nylander on the second PP uniy. It has nothing to do with defensive position but part of our breakout and zone entry.

My point is that it is a planned breakout and nothing at all to do with defensive position as you attempt to make it. Either you understand what you are watching or you do not.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It was a blowout win against one of the weak teams in the NHL who has arguably the worst goaltender. Most quality goalies wouldn't have let that floater in that he shot. Good for him. Let's see what he can do against a good team like Columbus. When the going gets rough, and they have to dump and chase, he usually disappears. When he can dominate against the heavy teams like LA I will buy in on the hype. He still has a lot to prove IMO.

Seriously don't care what you post because of the transparency in your bias. You go on like he is a 7 year vet with his skills declining in a contract year or something.

I think you need to go check the team scoring leaders if you think he has disappeared so much.

He still has alot to prove is a common expectation on here. It comes off so negative when you say it! I wonder why?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You do not watch games at all as on the first PP unit he is always coming late as the last man same as Nylander on the second PP uniy. It has nothing to do with defensive position but part of our breakout and zone entry.

My point is that it is a planned breakout and nothing at all to do with defensive position as you attempt to make it. Either you understand what you are watching or you do not.

I think you bashed his supposed poor skating in the past before he made the team.

I'll just say I don't see the same things you do, if you don't understand good gap control, timing,puck support and positioning as good defense then whatever.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It was a blowout win against one of the weak teams in the NHL who has arguably the worst goaltender. Most quality goalies wouldn't have let that floater in that he shot. Good for him. Let's see what he can do against a good team like Columbus. When the going gets rough, and they have to dump and chase, he usually disappears. When he can dominate against the heavy teams like LA I will buy in on the hype. He still has a lot to prove IMO.
Well he did have 2 assists playing on the 4th line against the Kings earlier in the year but I'm sure you're not interested in that. I wonder if Patrick Kane just dumps and chases when the going gets rough for him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think you bashed his supposed poor skating in the past before he made the team.

I'll just say I don't see the same things you do, if you don't understand good gap control, timing,puck support and positioning as good defense then whatever.
I never bashed his skating in fact I was one of only a few that said his skating was Elite. Go ahead and check post history.

As far as my understanding gap control and puck support and good defense go ...my understanding was good enough for the people who hired me.

I simply pointed out that it is part of our system for Marner to be the last man back and bring the puck with speed on the pp as he is fantastic at zone entries same goes for Willy on the second unit.

Last thing what does this play have to do with Leafs gap control as it was the Hurricanes poor gap control that allowed Mitch to dance through and score that goal.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I never bashed his skating in fact I was one of only a few that said his skating was Elite. Go ahead and check post history.

As far as my understanding gap control and puck support and good defense go ...my understanding was good enough for the people who hired me.

I simply pointed out that it is part of our system for Marner to be the last man back and bring the puck with speed on the pp as he is fantastic at zone entries same goes for Willy on the second unit.

Last thing what does this play have to do with Leafs gap control as it was the Hurricanes poor gap control that allowed Mitch to dance through and score that goal.

Ok i will take that skating comment back. Others say you didn't say that. O believe that. My apologies.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Listen, folks, I'm not going to respond to each post by defending my thoughts about Marner. The more I respond the more it comes across as Marner bashing. This will be my last post on the subject.

I've been a Leafs fan longer than most in here so I've seen a lot of hockey. To say that I'm biased about Marner is ridiculous.

Judging by the poll, it appears that the vast majority of you think that Marner will be a "STAR". That is yet to be determined but his play this season does not put him on the path to stardom.

I tell the truth and sometimes the truth hurts. Deal with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yet he struggled with the speed of the game at the NHL level. His feet are not at the NHL and as such he will never be as good as they hoped he was going to be and in my opinion a long shot to be a top 6 center.

I haven't seen him play NHL hockey yet and he is with coyotes who are a mess. Its hard to say, he has been gifted offensively by the hockey gods like, mitch, bracco, willie, etc

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Listen, folks, I'm not going to respond to each post by defending my thoughts about Marner. The more I respond the more it comes across as Marner bashing. This will be my last post on the subject.

I've been a Leafs fan longer than most in here so I've seen a lot of hockey. To say I'm biased about Marner is ridiculous.

Judging by the poll, it appears that the vast majority of you think that Marner is already a "STAR". That is simply not true, like it or not.

What?
Judging by the poll, marner already being a star was the least popular option

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region

I've been a Leafs fan longer than most in here so I've seen a lot of hockey. To say I'm biased about Marner is ridiculous.

Judging by the poll, it appears that the vast majority of you think that Marner is already a "STAR". That is simply not true, like it or not.

60 point rookies aren't stars? News to me.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada

I've seen you use your own personal position as an argument several times but it's actually a logical fallacy. Argue your point but don't point to whatever position you occupy in a hockey organization. It's even less useful given that nobody check the validity if you are actually a coach or whatever it is you do.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ok i will take that skating comment back. Others say you didn't say that. O believe that. My apologies.

Smart move, diceman is for sure one of the biggest Marner boosters in these parts and he's the first one to point it out when prospects aren't good skaters.

I've seen you use your own personal position as an argument several times but it's actually a logical fallacy. Argue your point but don't point to whatever position you occupy in a hockey organization. It's even less useful given that nobody check the validity if you are actually a coach or whatever it is you do.

Meh, what's he supposed to do when he's accused of not understanding gap control or whatever else? Write an essay? Say "yes I do"? Of course no one is checking the validity, read his posts and make up your own mind the same way you do for anyone else.

Reactions: diceman934

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

I've been a Leafs fan longer than most in here so I've seen a lot of hockey. To say that I'm biased about Marner is ridiculous.

Judging by the poll, it appears that the vast majority of you think that Marner will be a "STAR". That is yet to be determined but his play this season does not put him on the path to stardom.

That is not the truth, it is just your opinion, and the preface to your post doesn't mean anything to anybody.

By all facts and stats, Marner is very likely to become a star.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Gonna be one of the best playmakers in the league for years to come. With the talent on this team, I see multiple 50 assist seasons for him here.

Would like to see more goals out of him (especially this season), but I think around 25 is what we'll get in his best year.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Gonna be one of the best playmakers in the league for years to come. With the talent on this team, I see multiple 50 assist seasons for him here.

Would like to see more goals out of him (especially this season), but I think around 25 is what we'll get in his best year.

I think there’s a potential he’s never going to be more than a 20-25 goal guy but the fact that he can potentially start to put up 50-60 assists a season will more than make up for that. Not every offensive driver does so via sniping goals, they do so by setting up others.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think there’s a potential he’s never going to be more than a 20-25 goal guy but the fact that he can potentially start to put up 50-60 assists a season will more than make up for that. Not every offensive driver does so via sniping goals, they do so by setting up others.
Claude Giroux is a good player to look at numbers wise and hope for, for Marner. They will always be a bit overly reliant on secondary assists and PP production compared to guys like Matthews, but still extremely valuable, especially if they aren't asked to be your clear-cut franchise player. Patrick Kane was in a similar boat until he took that next step in 2015/16.

Reactions: Menzinger

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando

There are a total of 26 players that have put up 0.69ppg or better at 20yo in this league since 2000, or 1-2 per year.

Patrick Kane, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron, Scott Gomez, Simon Gagne, Jonathan Toews, Alex Tanguay, Martin Havlat, Nikolai Zherdev, Brad Richards, Anze Kopitar, Evgeni Malkin, Alexander Ovechkin, Niklas Backstrom, Vincent Lecavalier, Marion Gaborik, Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza, Ilya Kovalchuk, Eric Staal, Filip Forsberg, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Evander Kane, Steven Stamkos, Gabriel Landeskog, and Paul Statsny.

Unless you don't think those guys are stars, GTFO. His comparables are the best of the best.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There are a total of 26 players that have put up 0.69ppg or better at 20yo in this league since 2000, or 1-2 per year.

Patrick Kane, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron, Scott Gomez, Simon Gagne, Jonathan Toews, Alex Tanguay, Martin Havlat, Nikolai Zherdev, Brad Richards, Anze Kopitar, Evgeni Malkin, Alexander Ovechkin, Niklas Backstrom, Vincent Lecavalier, Marion Gaborik, Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza, Ilya Kovalchuk, Eric Staal, Filip Forsberg, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Evander Kane, Steven Stamkos, Gabriel Landeskog, and Paul Statsny.

Unless you don't think those guys are stars, GTFO. His comparables are the best of the best.

That is indeed some pretty good company. Especially Heatley, guy's a f....n all-star.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

I have no issues with people posting criticism about a player. We have all have our opinions and have a right to express them as we see fit. I am not a big fan of Bozak this year but I am able to admit that he had a good game yesterday. Admitting this does not negate my previous criticism of his play. The difference between your criticism and mine is that I don't make excuses like "it wasn't against an elite team" or "the goalie played bad" or "he needs to score against LA/St.Louis/San Jose". That is where you come across as being against a particular player when you cannot even admit that they had a good game and leave it at that.

Reactions: diceman934

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If Mitch plays like he is flying out there and carrying the puck with no fear, he will be a star. If he plays like he has for the entire season minus yesterdays game, he wont be a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad