• Yes

• No

• Already is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Bozak had 4 points too. One good game is not going to make up for the brutal 34 games those two have played thus far. Good to see them showing a pulse. There may be hope for both of them but still a long ways to go.

Also to expand on the previous reply, Bozaks game today was not comparable to Marners.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
In the future, I'd much rather have Marner and Matthews on their own line because the chemistry between Matthews/Nylander is outstanding.

The next thing we should be looking for (outside an obvious elite D that every team would want), is a C for Marner to play with imo. Someone like a Turris level of C.

And I'm glad you aren't the coach. Nylander is much better as a C. Marner sets up Matthews much better from a chemistry perspective.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I was at the game today, he was a completely different player than he’s been at any point this season. Still some work to be done defensively but you can tell that once he gets his confidence and swagger, he’ll be one of the best wingers in the league

He did look different, so strange watching him this season. Hard to understand but whatever, let's hope he doesn't go back to sleep now. :laugh:

I'm hard on Marner and there's a lot of things I'd like to see edited out of his game, but I'm also going to enjoy when he feasts on an opponent like today. Marner has many things to work on, but he ain't a Bozak either.

This. Agree 100% with every word, such a perfect post IMO, especially the last part.

What a strange season it's been for Marner, 2 goals going into yesterdays game and now, he's 3rd in team scoring behind Matthews and JVR. Yup, he now has more points than Kadri, go figure.

Keep those legs moving tonight Mitch, this game isn't likely to be a walk in the park like it was yesterday.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Tied for 24th in the league for assists with Backstrom, Panarin, Shwartz, and Trocheck.

Not bad for a 20 yr old.
And, third in team scoring. Nobody disputes an uneven year to date, I imagine what a good year will look like, could be scary and in my mind almost inevitable. I can count on my hand how many guys can dominate a game like he did last night.... that's a special talent, ride out the bumps it's going to be a fun drive!

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Literally looked like he was going to create a goal every time he touched the ice yesterday. The talent is ridiculous, he just needs to trust his instincts and keep up his confidence.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm hoping he catches fire and goes on a run. The CF% and unsustainably low SH% kind of point to some regression to, at the very least, last years rate of production.It would certainly boost the team during Matthews' absence (though he could return soon), and selfishly it would allow me to bump some posts from the main board when he finishes the season with more points than Barzal\Boeser.

Seriously Mitch, let's bury TWS together once and for all.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I dunno, hard to say, he was about to light up the AHL in points at age 20, he is gifted scorer.
Yet he struggled with the speed of the game at the NHL level. His feet are not at the NHL and as such he will never be as good as they hoped he was going to be and in my opinion a long shot to be a top 6 center.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Literally looked like he was going to create a goal every time he touched the ice yesterday. The talent is ridiculous, he just needs to trust his instincts and keep up his confidence.

Instincts both ways and we have a team player. Thats all Babcock requires! All the players can't play offense like Marner showed yesterday but Babs wouldn't be a stickler after a game like that.

The one goal he scored was directly off of being in defensive position from behind Rielly and coming out with speed through the neutral zone.

His set up were nice moves back towards the net, no risky stuff in the center of the ice. Nylanders goal and Kappy's goals also scored off of good defensive position, using their speed and great shots.

I am not sure but think Babcock liked more than high score out of that game. The puck support, gap control and positioning was very good by all.

Counter punching with our speed and skill with good defensive positioning could really work good when it os all natural instincts.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Minus Mitch is like

bWVCnqt.gif

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Minus Mitch is like

bWVCnqt.gif

Feel good for Marner, but lets put this in perspective. He has been subpar this year, and while yesterdays effort was refreshing, if Darling wasn't a complete sieve things may have worked out differently. That being said, hopefully he can build on this and keep it rolling.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
That rush he had on his PP goal was a nice sign that he is regaining his form again. It really feels like he's been carrying the puck across the blue line with more and more effectiveness recently. When Mitch is on his game, like most of last year, he reminds me of Doug Gilmour with his shiftiness with the puck (opponents are not sure if he's gonna take a quick snapshot or feather a slick pass, coupled with his quick lateral movements and the occasional head juke... ah the memories). That creates a ton of space and separation for him to be able to make moves in the offensive zone and keep the opposition on their heels.

I feel like he lost some of that confidence to carry the puck across the line last playoffs after Orpik drilled him at the blue line (I think it was game 2), and it carried into this season. Yesterday was the biggest sign so far that Mitch is back to his old form (and that Carolina's blue line can be awfully generous).

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
If jvr and bozak could finish he would have had 8 points yesterday. He gave jvr 2 tap in goals that he missed and gave bozak another.

I laugh at all the posters who salivate over hanifin and pesche
And Faulk as being great young dmen with high potential and crap on our own 20 year old who made those three his bitches when they couldn’t handle his skill.

We have a star in the making who is only 20
Playing 13 minutes a night with two defensive black holes.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Instincts both ways and we have a team player. Thats all Babcock requires! All the players can't play offense like Marner showed yesterday but Babs wouldn't be a stickler after a game like that.

The one goal he scored was directly off of being in defensive position from behind Rielly and coming out with speed through the neutral zone.

His set up were nice moves back towards the net, no risky stuff in the center of the ice. Nylanders goal and Kappy's goals also scored off of good defensive position, using their speed and great shots.

I am not sure but think Babcock liked more than high score out of that game. The puck support, gap control and positioning was very good by all.

Counter punching with our speed and skill with good defensive positioning could really work good when it os all natural instincts.
The goal he scored is part of our PP breakout and nothing at all to do with being in good Defensive position.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
I think it's important to consider that this outbreak came against what many people believe is the best, or at least among the best (albeit young) collection of D in the league. And Mitch absolutely owned them.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If jvr and bozak could finish he would have had 8 points yesterday. He gave jvr 2 tap in goals that he missed and gave bozak another.

I laugh at all the posters who salivate over hanifin and pesche
And Faulk as being great young dmen with high potential and crap on our own 20 year old who made those three his *****es when they couldn’t handle his skill.

We have a star in the making who is only 20
Playing 13 minutes a night with two defensive black holes.

This is super overlooked, people will look at JVR's goal totals and they are impressive, but the two of them have not bailed out Marner once this year, which sucks because he's the youngest guy on the line and has to bail himself out.

That line only goes when Marner goes.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Feel good for Marner, but lets put this in perspective. He has been subpar this year, and while yesterdays effort was refreshing, if Darling wasn't a complete sieve things may have worked out differently. That being said, hopefully, he can build on this and keep it rolling.

It was a blowout win against one of the weak teams in the NHL who has arguably the worst goaltender. Most quality goalies wouldn't have let that floater in that he shot. Good for him. Let's see what he can do against a good team like Columbus. When the going gets rough, and they have to dump and chase, he usually disappears. When he can dominate against the heavy teams like LA I will buy in on the hype. He still has a lot to prove IMO.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The goal he scored is part of our PP breakout and nothing at all to do with being in good Defensive position.

The puck was back there and so was he. He is supposed to be the winger ladt i checked. He is playing like a center and he was in good position. So were kappy and willy.

Puck support is defensive position even strength, penalty kill or powerplay. Whats your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad