• Already is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He had a great rookie year, and was absolutely the right choice where they drafted him. Fact is, he hasn't been very good this year, and he should not be exempt from criticism because he is a younger player. Sophomore slump is one thing, but 2 goals in 34 games is atrocious.

I’m more than fine with calling a player out for for poor play. But context here remains very important - a sophomore NHLer should be expected to have rocky periods as they continue to adjust to playing at the highest level of hockey, different from day a seasoned vet whose playing poorly where there are higher expectations.

Some posts in this thread have been ranging from calling him a borderline bust to being nothing more than a depth NHLer, and I find that to be a tad too extreme

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Robbed of at least 7 points today. These Leafs shots are wild lately.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Werenski was one of the players the Leafs brought to their combine place of some sort. Menzinger mentioned it.
If Marner got taken, Leafs would have moved down for one of the d man, provorov or Werenski.
Basically Leafs were not interested in Strome or Hanifin, and its looking like the correct decision.

Yep, Leafs has extra interviews with Rantanen, Werenski and Pronorov, if their trade down offer with the Blue Jackets had been accepted one of them likely would have been a Leaf.

Was a win-win scenario, either way Hunter was walking away with a player he wanted, and looks like picking at #4 with Marner landed the team quite the young player.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
In the future, I'd much rather have Marner and Matthews on their own line because the chemistry between Matthews/Nylander is outstanding.

The next thing we should be looking for (outside an obvious elite D that every team would want), is a C for Marner to play with imo. Someone like a Turris level of C.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'm still confused how he had 61 points as a teenager and people are freaking out and calling it a big mistake picking him because he wasn't scoring quite as much in his sophomore season.
Marner is going to be so damn good for years to come.

Reactions: WWB and Menzinger

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I dunno, hard to say, he was about to light up the AHL in points at age 20, he is gifted scorer.
He didn't even look as good as Marner in the AHL and has done nothing in the NHL.
People are vastly underrating 61 points as a rookie in today's NHL.

Reactions: Menzinger

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Marner starting the next century off on the right foot!

Bozak had 4 points too. One good game is not going to make up for the brutal 34 games those two have played thus far. Good to see them showing a pulse. There may be hope for both of them but still a long ways to go.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
No hope needed for Marner. He is already a star. A short way to go before he is an all star.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Yep, Leafs has extra interviews with Rantanen, Werenski and Pronorov, if their trade down offer with the Blue Jackets had been accepted one of them likely would have been a Leaf.

Was a win-win scenario, either way Hunter was walking away with a player he wanted, and looks like picking at #4 with Marner landed the team quite the young player.

Hunter drafted Werenski to the London Knights. Safe to say Hunter was a fan of his.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Bozak had 4 points too. One good game is not going to make up for the brutal 34 games those two have played thus far. Good to see them showing a pulse. There may be hope for both of them but still a long ways to go.
Yeah because Marner/Bozak totally never had any good games out of the 34 previous games :shakehead

Dear god you're talking about a teenager who scored 61 points in 77 games as a god damn undersized rookie and you're talking about there "maybe being hope for him"?

Wtf is the matter with people around here.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I know lots of people don't like advanced stats, but Marner's are great and encouraging.

His relative CF% is 3.73 and relative expected goals for % is 9.98. Both would be considered great, especially the latter.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I was at the game today, he was a completely different player than he’s been at any point this season. Still some work to be done defensively but you can tell that once he gets his confidence and swagger, he’ll be one of the best wingers in the league

Reactions: Gary Nylund and WWB

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I'm hard on Marner and there's a lot of things I'd like to see edited out of his game, but I'm also going to enjoy when he feasts on an opponent like today. Marner has many things to work on, but he ain't a Bozak either.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I dunno, hard to say, he was about to light up the AHL in points at age 20, he is gifted scorer.

I think you need to think about what you are saying. You seem to be arguing that Strome is going to be better and you are pointing to the fact that he was lighting the AHL up at 20. Did you not see Marner get 61 pts in the NHL at 19? Think about that for a second.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think you need to think about what you are saying. You seem to be arguing that Strome is going to be better and you are pointing to the fact that he was lighting the AHL up at 20. Did you not see Marner get 61 pts in the NHL at 19? Think about that for a second.
I was actually just talking about Strome in that post you quoted, I am not arguing anything, you guys get sidetracked by trolling members.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Marner has potential to be a star, no doubt about that. He may not be as consistent as Matthews or Nylander, but if I had a bet to see who would have the most multi-point game, it would be Marner. He just has games where he is absolute dominant. Just needs to find the consistency to reach the next level.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I was at the game today, he was a completely different player than he’s been at any point this season. Still some work to be done defensively but you can tell that once he gets his confidence and swagger, he’ll be one of the best wingers in the league

He's already top 10 in assists for wingers despite this being a down year for him.

If he heats up, 65-70 points isn't out of reach for him or Nylander.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
He's already top 10 in assists for wingers despite this being a down year for him.

If he heats up, 65-70 points isn't out of reach for him or Nylander.
Marner and Nylander even strength SH% is both low and unsustainable. Baring an injury, I do think both players will hit 60 points and possibly, a career year in points (let’s hope).

Reactions: Menzinger

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Marner has potential to be a star, no doubt about that. He may not be as consistent as Matthews or Nylander, but if I had a bet to see who would have the most multi-point game, it would be Marner. He just has games where he is absolute dominant. Just needs to find the consistency to reach the next level.
Notice that Marner tends to have his big games at home, including last season.

The wrong matchup, which will happen on the road, that Bozak line is neutered.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

The Bozak line needs to be sheltered in order to be effective. Bozak and JVR are weak defensively and Marner is just a rookie. It’s reasonable to suggest that the line plays the best at home. If we could find the right centerman to play between JVR and Marner, that line would be nightmare for opposing coaches to adjust.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Here is an especially crazy stat, teams, and by their very extension, players, tend to do better at home. Even in other sports, Google "home field advantage" or "road vs home record" then illuminate us all with your deep analysis. What a useless point.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Here is an especially crazy stat, teams, and by their very extension, players, tend to do better at home. Even in other sports, Google "home field advantage" or "road vs home record" then illuminate us all with your deep analysis. What a useless point.
You never heard of line matching in hockey.

End of story I guess.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
In before he gets in Babcocks doghouse again for using skills and not hard work. He needs to play more like Leo Komorov and Hyman.0 skills, hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia