Series Talk: Will Donato start in Game 4?

Will Donato start Game 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I think they should play Gionta over Acciari and bring back Schaller over Wingels. Acciari having trouble keeping up with Tampa. Gionta might be a bit quicker, is certainly tough, and has a bit more finish. Plus you can't match the experience factor, though he does wear down late in games. I don't understand why Wingels bumped Schaller instead of Acciari in Game 3, though Cassidy must have his reasons. It would be exciting if he brought in Donato, but I doubt that will happen.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
91fdcac50cf74e4af3e0838652fdde64--young-boys-the-young.jpg

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
I would put czarnik in for sure. Wingels brings nothing and this team needs something. And why not donato? Team is already letting in 4 goals a game, at least he’s a threat to score.

I agree to Donato AND Czarnik. At least they're not tired. They're fresh and want to impress. We need a blood transfusion.

Reactions: GordonHowe

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Cassidy has done a great job of holding guys accountable since his hiring. Certain guys obviously are not going to be scratched unless they are really bad for a long time because they've earned their spots (Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, etc.), but there are quite a few guys in the bottom 6 that have a shorter leash and Cassidy has shown that he won't let the team flounder for long before he'll make a lineup change.

I think he really likes the kids and enjoys the developmental part of the game and is genuinely pissed at veteran players when they don't get the job done for too long, knowing that a kid is in the press box just dying to play. I think there's a real good chance he puts Donato in. Who sits is the more interesting question. I think it will be Heinen, but I don't think he's the guy who deserves to sit most.

Reactions: Absurdity

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I said yes. I'm hoping "Hidin' Heinen" watches this one. I'm sure if he does he'll want to sit as far away from the ice as possible to avoid any possible contact. :laugh:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Cassidy has done a great job of holding guys accountable since his hiring. Certain guys obviously are not going to be scratched unless they are really bad for a long time because they've earned their spots (Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, etc.), but there are quite a few guys in the bottom 6 that have a shorter leash and Cassidy has shown that he won't let the team flounder for long before he'll make a lineup change.

I think he really likes the kids and enjoys the developmental part of the game and is genuinely pissed at veteran players when they don't get the job done for too long, knowing that a kid is in the press box just dying to play. I think there's a real good chance he puts Donato in. Who sits is the more interesting question. I think it will be Heinen, but I don't think he's the guy who deserves to sit most.

Donato damn well better start.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I said yes. I'm hoping "Hidin' Heinen" watches this one. I'm sure if he does he'll want to sit as far away from the ice as possible to avoid any possible contact. :laugh:
You’re not funny and clearly not watching. Heinen is far from the problem with that line. Nash and Backes have been terrible. Kid can only do so much.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Ive been pushing for Donato since the Toronto series. He's a scorer and the Bruins need more than the Bergeron line.The further they go in the playoffs. But with that said I dont see Cassidy varying off of his norm. If that was the Case, McAvoy would be getting a lot more PP time. He's a weapon Cassidy hasn't taken full advantage of. He needs to get McAvoy on the PP and Donato in the Line-up.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
You’re not funny and clearly not watching. Heinen is far from the problem with that line. Nash and Backes have been terrible. Kid can only do so much.
I think Backes is not the problem. He's been physically involved and has been playing hard. Disappointing? Yes. The problem? No. Nash is playing like Nash did before this season. Heinen has decided that the playoffs are too rough and demanding. He's Craig Janney 2.0

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I think Backes is not the problem. He's been physically involved and has been playing hard. Disappointing? Yes. The problem? No. Nash is playing like Nash did before this season. Heinen has decided that the playoffs are too rough and demanding. He's Craig Janney 2.0
You’re clearly not watching. Backes has been a huge problem on that line. Maybe the rigors of all his physical ailments this season is catching up to him. Guys a warrior. Nash looks lost since returning from his puck to the head injury. Both hurting but I, for the most part, believe if you’re in the lineup injuries are not an excuse.

Playoffs are not too rough for the kid. One day you love the kid. Next day you’re dumping on him. Watching him play from my home in section 308 I can see Heinen making plays that his line mates can’t help with. When he was with Debrusk and Krejci in game 7 against Toronto, it was his best game. He is not shying away from contact from watching but he’s not a physical player nor do I need him to be. It’s not his game. The team as a whole needs to be more physical. This is not a tough team in terms of physicality, but their tougher than Tampa. I truly believe that. But if we are looking for Danton Heinen to be the one to make a physical statement than we got bigger problems.

A big reason we are where we are this season are the kids. Debrusk. Heinen. Gryz. Charlie. Carlo. Kuraly. Even Bjork for a portion. This season and this team plan was developing the kids. Kids are a big reason we got here and deserve to play. Donato included.

Last edited:

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
I agree to Donato AND Czarnik. At least they're not tired. They're fresh and want to impress. We need a blood transfusion.
At this point, even Czarnik would appear to be an upgrade over Wingels or Acciari...he's a lot better defensively than most give him credit for

Reactions: Estlin

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I have a feeling it’s going to be Holden for McQ. Little bit more transition and puck moving. That thought popped into my head last night while watching.
I think that could happen. McQuaid got pretty banged up, bet he’s laboring a bit. If that’s the case, then speed is going to be a problem for him.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk- Krejci - Rick Nash
Donato - Kuraly- Wingels -
Heinen- Riley Nash- Backes

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

This is correct, Heinen has been fine since his earlier benching. The problem with that line is Backes and especially Nash, Nash is playing as if he dosen't belong in the NHL.

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
seriously, people need to watch Heinen. Constantly making smart little plays, especially in the neutral zone. He's good offensively but not good enough to carry a line, and certainly not one that is playing so poorly. And every time Heinen has had to sub in on one of the top 2 lines he instantly looks like a top 6 player. The other two guys are dragging him down right now, not the other way around.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That’s your prerogative, but I strongly disagree. As I said earlier, Heinen is not the kind of guy that's going end to end and dominate by himself. It’s not his game, never was and never will be, whether he’s going good or not. There are very few players that can carry a line when the other two guys aren’t going good. Heinen isn’t one of them.

He’s excellent as the 2nd guy in on the forecheck, because he’s not a banger, but reads the play and fills the lanes exceptionally well. On offense, he appears to prefer the set up role and is a facilitator. His game is not going to jump out at you, even when he’s producing.

Sitting him for Donato doesn’t fix the problem. Donato is a shooter, but right now he’s not good/strong enough to create his own offense. The primary issue is that guys like Krejci and Backes aren’t winning the battles. Subbing in Donato for Heinen does nothing to address that and doesn’t put Donato in a position to succeed any more than it has Heinen.

I don't disagree with any of this honestly, except your assessment that subbing Heinen for Donato couldn't help in the area of secondary scoring.

Heinen is a complimentary player, that's his style like you were saying. He always will be a complimentary player, but a very good one, much like Axelsson was here for many years. Of the two, I like Donato's chances of creating his own offense more than I do Heinen.

My thoughts are a lot more to do with Cassidy's mindset about these players. He stated he's see Donato as a LW. We know Heinen isn't a C, and he doesn't like Backes there either.

So if Donato would have to play LW to get into the line-up, and it's essentially Kuraly or Riley at C (I'll take Kuraly for his speed), and they need a RW. I much prefer a natural RW in Backes than shifting Heinen to RW and Backes down another line.

If Heinen was playing well, then I could understand shifting him over, but he hasn't been effective. Neither have any of the bottom six guys, they've all been bad. So I'll pick my poison with Backes on the 3rd with Donato and Kuraly over Danton Heinen right now.

Matter of fact I'd have Heinen still in the line-up, on the 4th line with Riley and Acciari. Scratch Wingels and Schaller.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak

Debrusk - Krejci - Rick

Donato - Kuraly - Backes

Heinen - Riley - Acciari

That to me is the most offensively talented line-up they can run without having too many guys playing their off-side (which I think is generally a mistake).

Reactions: LouisSleigher

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
seriously, people need to watch Heinen. Constantly making smart little plays, especially in the neutral zone. He's good offensively but not good enough to carry a line, and certainly not one that is playing so poorly. And every time Heinen has had to sub in on one of the top 2 lines he instantly looks like a top 6 player. The other two guys are dragging him down right now, not the other way around.

Tell that to Cassidy who has already benched him once.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Anybody remember how good Donato Heinen and krejci were together.? How about Nash when he was up with Marsha and and Pasternak? Why not mix it up and try and rekindle that?
Pastrnak Nash Marchand
Heinen Krejci Donato
Debrusk Bergeron Nash
Acciari Kurally Backes
This would provide us three very decent scoring lines and would even give the fourth line of boost with Backes. Tampa Bay would no longer even know how to line match that lineup

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Tell that to Cassidy who has already benched him once.

And he immediately put him back into the lineup, correct?

I’m not saying that Heinen couldn’t be playing better, but if you are benching players based on merit alone, he shouldn’t be the guy sitting. We all know that’s not the way things work sometimes and it’s much easier for Cassidy to bench a rookie like Heinen or Grizz than a veteran that might deserve it more.

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think they’re done to be honest. At least give Donato a taste. I know it’s short sites to think that way but I’ve always thought that they weren’t tough enough to go anywhere. Teams like Washington always kicked their butt. In the playoffs, that’s what wins no matter what rules or trends happen. It’s always the tough teams. They aren’t tough. That needs to be fixed. You don’t have to be big to be tough. So...... give Donato a shot. He’s got to be better than Wingels last night.

But, Donato is not "big" nor "tough."

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I wasn't for it, but we need some kind of spark.

The kid will get run over, but most are anyway.

Do it, BUTCH

Yes he will, I don't want to see him get concussed out there...

Agree 100%.

Phil was a great Bruin and for that I’m grateful. Beyond that he’s kind of a doofus.
And he needs to grow up and stop whining about the time the Bruins broke his heart etc.

As for the Donato poll: I voted yes. Do I think that it'll make an appreciable difference? No. I long for the day that they can call up a young stud and insert him into the lineup in the playoffs for fading guys like DK and Backes.
I see a team who is missing one of their young, big, fleet of foot defensmen. A team who had a ton of players come back (maybe a little too soon) after injuries or got injured during the playoffs, who still seem raw like Riley Nash, Gryz, McAvoy, DeBrusk, Rick Nash etc. Then, you have the walking wounded who the B's depend on year in and year out: Bergy, Krejci, Chara. I'm thrilled that we have great young players like DeBrusk, McAvoy, Heinen, Kuraly but we need the beef. I've been hearing that bigger players are trending out of the NHL but big talented players are what we need more of.For instance, I long for the day that Frederick is ready to take over for Krejci.
I dunno, it's been a long hot day, I'm tired and I'm hopeful that the team can bounce back.

Reactions: FanSince72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad