Player Discussion Will Cuylle

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
He did not have a great playoffs with Hartford last year but being one of the Pack's best forwards there were also higher expectations. In the role he has with the Rangers he's primarily a grinder, forechecker, guy who hits and who pops in a goal or gets into a fight now and again. Basically he has a role and a job that requires him to chip in now and again but the main producers are on the top two lines. That role should fit pretty well into what he's done all year.

I think it's clear he has hit a bit of a wall, which is understandable considering it's his first full NHL season and he has played all but 1 game. I think easing off the gas this last stretch of games is going to help him be 100% for Game 1, whether he is playing with Wennberg/Kakko or Goodrow/Vesey. The physicality and willingness to shoot will play.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
The fact that he has stuck with the team for this long is a huge sign of success. He hustles and isn't afraid to hit. He's perfect for the bottom 6. Anything we get more is really just a bonus.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Really wouldnt be against shutting him down the last week if things are looking good to wrap up the #1 spot. Play Rempe and Brodz.

Give this kid some real recovery time so he can go balls to the wall game 1 and beyond. They are going to need his physicality.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
want to put in a little love for the unsung rookie on this squad.

speed, physicality, possession, defense, and a prick to boot. this kid doesn't play like a rookie. He's a good one.

needs to find some space to let loose his beautiful wrister. i see him potting a goal in game 2.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
He's been great, the kid is built for the playoffs. What an amazing surprise this year has been from him. Never would have thought he'd make this kind of an impact in his rookie season. If I'm nitpicking, I'd love to see him hold onto the puck a second longer in the defensive zone instead of just hot potato'ing it and then make his play in the o-zone a second sooner. Don't give the goalie a chance to get set.

its not that serious

Mar 7, 2024
I've been impressed with how unfazed Cuylle is, even in the playoff games when things get extra heated. He seems immune to any attempts to agitate him by the other team (more noticeable against Washington than Carolina game 1), taking a big hit or when something doesn't go his way, and he seems always poised during the play. We know he will finish his checks and put in the work consistently, and a player like that who also has this demeanor... that seems like a guy who will be trustworthy performer in the playoffs for hopefully many years to come.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I mentioned in some other thread about how I was excited to see how he responds to playoff hockey - I've been impressed. He's a gamer.
Absolutely. He really has a bright future here. Could end up topping out as a top 6 guy 1 day.
Hes been physical/engaged and has had some real solid scoring opportunities..
Def the type of guy you need to have if you want to win.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
just keep possessing 5v5.
Just keep possessing for 2 full lines is a net neutral at best. Net neutral from a 3rd line will not usually be enough to win a cup. We need some scoring help from our bottom 6 especially that third line. They do not have to be top 6 scorers but some production to make them a net positive. They can't win 16 games while only scoring 1 goal from their 3rd line in those 16 games imo.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Just keep possessing for 2 full lines is a net neutral at best. Net neutral from a 3rd line will not usually be enough to win a cup. We need some scoring help from our bottom 6 especially that third line. They do not have to be top 6 scorers but some production to make them a net positive. They can't win 16 games while only scoring 1 goal from their 3rd line in those 16 games imo.
net neutral 5v5 and dominating special teams is how this team will win.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That's why I'm hoping Chytil gets in. I like Wennberg, but I think the line will produce more with Chytil at center.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
It depends which line they play against.
They were matched up against aho more than once and they possessed the puck against them, which is a net win.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
net neutral 5v5 and dominating special teams is how this team will win.
Once we get against better teams in bigger games they will need some production from the bottom 6 imo. The top 6 will not be able to carry them alone. At some point we will not be scoring on the PP or killing every PP. The odds of them winning a cup with 1 goal in all the playoffs from our 3rd line is not good. It is not sustainable and that should not be the goal. The players on that 3rd line can score. They just have to do it.

It depends which line they play against.
They were matched up against aho more than once and they possessed the puck against them, which is a net win.
If they are strictly on the ice to shut down another teams top line I will be okay with no production but that is unlikely especially on the other teams ice. Our 3rd line is not always playing vs other teams top lines. Lav was not matching our 3rd line vs Aho's line much last game unless I missed that.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Once we get against better teams in bigger games they will need some production from the bottom 6 imo. The top 6 will not be able to carry them alone. At some point we will not be scoring on the PP or killing every PP. The odds of them winning a cup with 1 goal in all the playoffs from our 3rd line is not good. It is not sustainable and that should not be the goal. The players on that 3rd line can score. They just have to do it.

If they are strictly on the ice to shut down another teams top line I will be okay with no production but that is unlikely especially on the other teams ice. Our 3rd line is not always playing vs other teams top lines. Lav was not matching our 3rd line vs Aho's line much last game unless I missed that.
I don’t think he was matching at all.
I think he was rotating 3 lines with the occasional 4th line.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don’t think he was matching at all.
I think he was rotating 3 lines with the occasional 4th line.
I agree about rotating but he seemed fine with our top 2 lines going against Aho. I thought he was matching for faceoffs at times vs Aho. Vince seemed to be out there a few extra shifts for draws. Speaking of draws I noticed Jordan Staal still kills us on faceoffs :(

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
The odds of them winning a cup with 1 goal in all the playoffs from our 3rd line is not good. It is not sustainable and that should not be the goal. The players on that 3rd line can score. They just have to do it.

i swear this is a page right out of my wife's playbook. "the 3rd line has only scored once so far, so i'm going to live in the imagined future where they will never score ever again!!"

they have been dominating possession. they have been tilting the ice against all competition. Not only does that prevent goals against, but possession tends to lead to production.

If you have specific tactical comments about how this line could more effectively translate possession into chance creation, that's a conversation id love to have.

but in terms of process, this line is doing its job. replacing wennberg with Chytil would be a great thing to add firepower.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
i swear this is a page right out of my wife's playbook. "the 3rd line has only scored once so far, so i'm going to live in the imagined future where they will never score ever again!!"

they have been dominating possession. they have been tilting the ice against all competition. Not only does that prevent goals against, but possession tends to lead to production.

If you have specific tactical comments about how this line could more effectively translate possession into chance creation, that's a conversation id love to have.

but in terms of process, this line is doing its job. replacing wennberg with Chytil would be a great thing to add firepower.
I do not remember saying they could not ever score again. Actually I said the exact opposite. I said that they can score and that we need them to score if we are going to win 16 games in these playoffs.

I agree Chytil for Wenn would help that lines offense if Chytil is healthy.

I think you may need to speak to your wife. :D

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I do not remember saying they could not score. Actually I said the exact opposite. I said that they can score and that we need them to score if we are going to win 16 games in these playoffs.

I agree Chytil for Wenn would help that lines offense if Chytil is healthy.

I think you may need to speak to your wife. :D
what you said was the 3rd line scoring once in the playoffs "should not be the goal."

with this sharp insight i must admit i wholeheartedly agree.

btw Kakko has 4th most shots, tied with Kreider, in 11:33 and TOI.

as i said, he is doing his job

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
what you said was the 3rd line scoring once in the playoffs "should not be the goal."

with this sharp insight i must admit i wholeheartedly agree.

btw Kakko has 4th most shots, tied with Kreider, in 11:33 and TOI.

as i said, he is doing his job
I said that after you said being 5 on 5 neutral plus special teams is how we win. Playing 5 vs 5 to a neutral is not a strength and should not be a goal. To win a cup we likely will need to improve that. Most cup teams through history had some clutch goals chipped in by their 3rd lines. Having our 3rd line score would be a good thing. No need for you to fear it.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
If we are putting our 3rd line up against their first then that net neutral is a big win for us. If our 3rd and 4th are net neutral against CAR 3rd and 4th that leaves the top six vs the top six, we are better there, and special teams, where we've been better than them in the the post season... again a win.
I get wanting MORE. We always want more, its natural. But sometimes ENOUGH has to be enough.

Reactions: noncents

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad