Confirmed with Link: Will Butcher signs with Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He has been cleaning up his game defensively a little more each game. I've been pleasantly surprised to see it.

We know that he has good vision and offensive ability but his defense is what is going to make or break his career. The progress in a relatively short time has been encouraging in my opinion.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He has been cleaning up his game defensively a little more each game. I've been pleasantly surprised to see it.

We know that he has good vision and offensive ability but his defense is what is going to make or break his career. The progress in a relatively short time has been encouraging in my opinion.
I think his play with the puck in the defensive end has been good right from the start, it's just his coverage and such without it that needs work. Getting a bit quicker could help him a lot as well, as it allows him to recover from any mistakes easier.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I can definitely see the Andrei Markov comparisons in terms of play style. Though he's about as fast as 38 year old Markov lol. He'll need to improve his skating if he really wants to take the next step. I like what I see though.

Reactions: Blender and Oneiro

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
His defensive play along the boards has been impressive IMO. His problem will be defending the rush due to his lack of speed.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
There really wasn't enough hype around this signing. First defenseman in NHL history to record 8 points through his first 5 games. We might have our very own Torey Krug here.

Reactions: PrinceSexyHenrik

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
I'll admit I was pro-Shatty in the offseason, but boy am I glad things worked out the way they did.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'll admit I was pro-Shatty in the offseason, but boy am I glad things worked out the way they did.
I was absolutely pro-Shattenkirk and remain convinced he would have been a good signing. But, if it were either/or with Butcher, at least through the first five games I'm fine with Butcher. We'll see where we are in four years.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I was absolutely pro-Shattenkirk and remain convinced he would have been a good signing. But, if it were either/or with Butcher, at least through the first five games I'm fine with Butcher. We'll see where we are in four years.

I assume Shattenkirk will do better over the next couple of years, but given our timeline, Butcher seems like a better fit.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I assume Shattenkirk will do better over the next couple of years, but given our timeline, Butcher seems like a better fit.
200w_s.gif

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Lots of excitement for Bratt and Hischier, where's the love for Butcher? I mean, all he's done is have the best 16 game start of any rookie defenceman in team history. He's got almost double the points Niedermayer did at this point in his career.

Points through the first 16,

1. Butcher - 13
2. Severson - 8
2. Rafalski - 8
2. Gelinas - 8
5. Niedermayer - 7

In fact, if you look at all rookie defensemen in the last 30 years, he's 6th.

1. Werenkski - 14
1. Shattenkirk - 14
1. Malakhov - 14
1. Leetch - 14
1. Blake - 14
6. Butcher - 13

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Lots of excitement for Bratt and Hischier, where's the love for Butcher? I mean, all he's done is have the best 16 game start of any rookie defenceman in team history.

I think most people realize the points Butcher has put up are more of a statistical aberration than something he's going to maintain given many of his assists have been secondary. And while he's playing very well, he's the most protected D-man on the team. Severson, Butcher, Mueller, and Santini are all close in age, but only Butcher gets that extra protection. So yes, he's another Devils rookie to rejoice over, but I think it's logical people aren't quite as excited about him as they are for Bratt or Nico.

So, um..

NHL.com - Stats

Will Butcher has the highest points/60 of any rookie defenceman (who played at least 10 games) in the recorded history of the NHL.

Or at least in the last 8 years (that data starts in 2009, it's not the complete 100 year history of the NHL).

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I have been impressed with Butchers D play. Good on the walls, good stick work, good positioning. I actually think we are selling him short.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
So, um..

NHL.com - Stats

Yeah. Will Butcher has the highest points/60 of any rookie defenceman (who played at least 10 games) in the recorded history of the NHL.
I like Butcher, he's one of the only defenseman we have that can break the puck out under pressure. It's just frustrating seeing him get beat to loose pucks. There's no reason for him to be as slow as he is either, if he gets some good work this summer with a power skating coach, he can be up to speed, but he probably won't be able to get off the third pairing until then.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
What can you tell me about Will Butcher.
How has his season been.
What are his expectations in a few seasons point wise.
How good defensively is he.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Good puck skills, good vision, which makes him a good offensive player.

Below average skater and small, and thus get's abused at times on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad