Confirmed with Link: Will Butcher signs with Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Kid is so smart with the puck and he is solid in his own zone. Work on that foot speed and skys the limit.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I've confirmed what I had previously thought. I feel like Butcher plays better on the right side than the left. I'm pretty happy with him paired with Mueller these last couple games. Hopefully they can keep it up.

Reactions: My3Sons

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I've confirmed what I had previously thought. I feel like Butcher plays better on the right side than the left. I'm pretty happy with him paired with Mueller these last couple games. Hopefully they can keep it up.
he could always play both sides effectively. I like him on the right side as well, Mueller is a much more effective partner for him with his mobility.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

I believe he played RD at Denver, and I think it's where he's more comfortable. This is why I was saying that Mueller was sitting because of Lovejoy. It's a travesty that Lovejoy played 30+ straight games.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I believe he played RD at Denver, and I think it's where he's more comfortable. This is why I was saying that Mueller was sitting because of Lovejoy. It's a travesty that Lovejoy played 30+ straight games.
Ya, as far as I know, he played RD his last 2 years there. I just feel like he's more of an offensive threat on the right without sacrificing his D play.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Ya, as far as I know, he played RD his last 2 years there. I just feel like he's more of an offensive threat on the right without sacrificing his D play.
I think he has better options for d partners on the right. I said it before he played a game. This is a very intelligent player, his intelligence and ability to get his shot through traffic will always be the 2 best parts of his game.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think he has better options for d partners on the right. I said it before he played a game. This is a very intelligent player, his intelligence and ability to get his shot through traffic will always be the 2 best parts of his game.
I don't know if you want to throw poise/confidence into the intelligence basket, but I think those are big parts of his game as well. And his puck skills, which gives him confidence and allows him to be poised.

I'm still pretty skeptical he can defend any better then a third pairing guy, but when the puck is on his stick, he is a darn good player.

Reactions: Csonked Out

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't know if you want to throw poise/confidence into the intelligence basket, but I think those are big parts of his game as well. And his puck skills, which gives him confidence and allows him to be poised.

I'm still pretty skeptical he can defend any better then a third pairing guy, but when the puck is on his stick, he is a darn good player.
I agree on the third pairing but that's ok. I just laughed when people thought his skating would be an issue as I knew it was an overblown statement.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I agree on the third pairing but that's ok. I just laughed when people thought his skating would be an issue as I knew it was an overblown statement.
I think his skating is an issue. I think his size is too. You do need to hide him a bit.

But in the right situations, he's a weapon.

Reactions: Csonked Out

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't think the size is an issue, but his skating is probably what's holding him down to a 3rd line player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think the size is an issue, but his skating is probably what's holding him down to a 3rd line player.
I think size is something more easily overcome nowadays, but it is still an issue.

But you can address it, at least partly, by getting stronger.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
To be honest, yeah it was a skating gaffe, but I don't think he would have made it in time anyway. He noticed the streaking winger too late.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I still think the hope for Butcher is a Zidlicky type player. Offensive guys who have their issues defensively, but aren't complete liabilities like a M-A Bergeron.

Zidlicky was a perennial 40+ point defender on low-scoring Wild and Predators teams. I think Butcher can hover around 50 points a year in a second pairing role with PP time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I could definitely see the Zid comparison only with not as good a shot. But I do think he has enough smarts to at least get to that level defensively and he's already showing those kind of chops offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad