Confirmed with Link: Will Butcher signs with Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Forgetting where I read this... my impression is that Butcher's skating mechanics (edgework, agility, etc...) are good, but it's his top speed that's not quite what you'd look for in a smaller D-man.

i don't think that matters as much as being able to shed the forecheck and move the puck up... the end to end rush isn't what they are looking for... none of the defensman on this team can do that... good outlet passes are what we need

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Butcher is probably going to be the type of young defender that posters here love during his rookie year and then start piling on in Year 2 or 3. I've notice a trend with that.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Butcher is probably going to be the type of young defender that posters here love during his rookie year and then start piling on in Year 2 or 3. I've notice a trend with that.

He seems like the kind of guy that would impress early with subtle and crafty plays which make you expect greatness, and then people will try to bury him when he doesn't get 50 points his third season because he "showed so much" and "wasted" his potential.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He seems like the kind of guy that would impress early with subtle and crafty plays which make you expect greatness, and then people will try to bury him when he doesn't get 50 points his third season because he "showed so much" and "wasted" his potential.

Certainly because he was misused by whatever coach is/was in charge.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Yeah I forget when I permanently came over here from NJDevs. It says I made the account during the 08-09 season but I think I started lurking way before that. Here's some young defenders I remember people hyping early and then ragging on:

Andy Greene (before his breakout in 09-10)
Oduya was being called ORRduya before he got included in the Kovy deal after which he was useless
Salmela had a bunch of hype
The Urbom Squad anyone?
Larsson getting hyped up his rookie year and then people started calling him a potential bust in Year 3

At least it's better than what happens to stay-at-home vets on higher contracts like Tallinder, Volchenkov, Salvador, etc. One screw-up and they are in the doghouse for some people.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Yes i recall many people thinking he was a bum... agreed if does not make it his first year doesn't mean he is a bust signing.. you look for solid play... i think the reason he will make it is the one thing you really cannot teach... decision making.. and according to all of the scouting reports, butcher is a very cerebral player, which should compensate for any talent deficiencies ..

the devils biggest problem is competently moving the puck up to the forwards with quick decisive and accurate break out passes... this seems to be butchers finest attribute which tells me it could be a could fit for NJ.. leaving lovejoy as the only true grenade handler in this regard. greene, severson, moore,santini. mueller. butcher all seem or at least are said to have this part of their game in tact.. that's a big deal for this team

I don't really remember people thinking that he was a bum - just wouldn't amount to much....but I think your comment about 'decision making' is the key there -

Even early in his career, Greene showed that he made good decisions, and seemed to have an extra dose of composure on the back end. I remember them saying he was a 'college guy' and he thought the game well. I think the knock on him was that he was a competent skater but certainly wouldn't blow your doors off - he showed no offense really early on and he wasn't particularly physical - and was in danger of getting pounded behind the net...

basically - he was everything he is today, but without the confidence - and he just *matured* into a fine defenseman.

I think that is the whole key. Guys like greene and santini and (hopefully) butcher are playing the game well in their heads - and just need time for their bodies and confidence to catch up to the speed and grind.

Guys like Gelinas, Urbom, Moore and (maybe) Merrill - have the physical tools to suit the NHL but are frustrating because their heads need to catch up.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007

Good times.

107034-anssi-salmela-clanokW.jpg

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah I forget when I permanently came over here from NJDevs. It says I made the account during the 08-09 season but I think I started lurking way before that. Here's some young defenders I remember people hyping early and then ragging on:

Oduya was being called ORRduya before he got included in the Kovy deal after which he was useless
The Urbom Squad anyone?
Larsson getting hyped up his rookie year and then people started calling him a potential bust in Year 3

At least it's better than what happens to stay-at-home vets on higher contracts like Tallinder, Volchenkov, Salvador, etc. One screw-up and they are in the doghouse for some people.

andy greene was not liked here after the 10-11 season iirc

kiwidevil

Or like when he makes a specific gaff that ends in an OT loss, even though he handles the puck 300 times a game. Sound familiar?

From then he will be branded as a poor defender that only plays one side of the puck.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

The Urbom Squad anyone?

I honestly don't remember Greene getting any hype.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I remember rookie Greene made an incredible defensive play against Lecavalier in the 2007 playoffs when Lecavlier was the best player in the league, he was just kinda there the next few years until Lemaire took over.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oduya was only called Orrduya because of that one coast to coast goal he score against Carolina in 07-08. I don't think anyone ever thought he was anywhere close to being half of Bobby Orr.

Urbom wasn't as much hyped, he just caused a major freak out when we waived him and the Capitals picked him up. He probably did get more hype than he was worth though. The fact that he made the team out of camp in 2010-2011, before being sent back a few days later, probably really set a hype machine rolling for him. Salmela always sucked. All I remember of him, outside of sucking was his OT winner against the Islanders and on-ice interview in 2010-2011 and him getting taken out by Jeff Carter in a game against the Flyers and concussed. And the fact that we traded him in the deal for Havlid and got him back in the Kovalchuk deal.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Urbom was 19 when Lemaire said "he definitely has a future in this league" and Lou at one time referred to him as our best prospect. When we waived him there was a *********, mostly because Lou tried to sneak him through a few days after the first round of cuts and we lost him for nothing.

I think Oduya had 0 goals and 6 assists in the +40 games he played for us in 2010 before the Kovy trade. He was fresh off a big multi-year deal and was performing nowhere close to expectations.

Greene was a pretty solid 4-6 defenseman until Lemaire gave him PP time in 2010. I remember he was a recurring punchline in the Vishnevski comics at the time.

Certainly some revisionist history going on here.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Funny thing about Urbom was that his three goals were all beautiful goal-scorer goals.
I remember the wraparound against the Bruins on the last day of the 10-11 season, then he scored against the Capitals in 11-12.

Then he scored one goal for the Capitals, where Nabokov (in his washed up days) looked like a statue.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
That Salmela goal also provided this gem from Daneyko and got Trautwig all upset.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That Salmela goal also provided this gem from Daneyko and got Trautwig all upset.

I'm legit mad that Dano never incorporated ''Holy Schmoly!'' into his in-game color commentary. :laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If one of Butcher or Mueller can take a regular shift...or maybe both combined give you 1 solid 80 games over the course of the year...

If Santini takes another step and can become a regular 18 minute defender this season...

If Severson has anything left in his development curve, anything at all he should turn into the player we hoped for this year.

*If* those things happen, this defense IS going to be a lot better than anyone anticipates.

I don't think any of things are impossible or big "ifs" either. I think Severson and Santini will take another step this season and the biggest question is what will we get from Mueller and/or Butcher.

But I still believe the thing that will help our defense the most is the growth of the solid two way forwards we have in our system like Zacha, Quenneville, Speers, and definitely Hischier...throw Boyle into the mix for this season and our defenders should be getting some relief this season.

Things can break well I think...not sure this coaching staff is capable though.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It may seem overly optimistic, I honestly don't think our D is as bad as they showed last year, and if it is, I blame Nasreddine. I think a change in the D coaching could work wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad