Waived: Wild waive Teemu Pulkkinen (cleared)

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I could be wrong but I think it's a sign that Ek will be staying with the big club more than 9 games rather than going back to Sweden.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pulkkinen is a one trick pony.
He'll be in Europe soon enough.

not from what I saw. More of a no trick pony. Not bad...knows how to play...but not fast enough or strong enough to have much of an effect on play. Even a fourth liner needs to bring something to the table. As for his vaunted shot...if you can't get in position to use said weapon, nor get it off, it's kind of an irrelevant skill.

Wouldn't be a bad pickup for someone.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I could be wrong but I think it's a sign that Ek will be staying with the big club more than 9 games rather than going back to Sweden.

Agreed. 2 goals, 3 assists in 4 games with little ice time so far.

I could see something like this for this season:

Parise - Koivu - Granlund
Niederreiter - Staal - Coyle
Zucker - JEE - Pominville
Dalpe - Haula - Stewart

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So let's see.

He had really low ice time but his corsi RelTM is +0.7%, especially shot suppression seemed to be better with him on the ice. Pulkkinen also started more in the defensive zone than in the offensive zone which doesn't even make sense. He had really poor individual 5v5 corsi generation.

I can't help but feel like he wasn't being used correctly.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
So let's see.

He had really low ice time but his corsi RelTM is +0.7%, especially shot suppression seemed to be better with him on the ice. Pulkkinen also started more in the defensive zone than in the offensive zone which doesn't even make sense. He had really poor individual 5v5 corsi generation.

That's what Minnesota fans were told, too.

Pulkkinen's okay. Not a liability. He was given PP time, which in my eyes means he got plenty of opportunity to get on the scoreboard.

Overall, he was pretty unnoticeable.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So let's see.

I hear this and have to shake my head. Who the hell is TP to supplant ANYONE in the top 6, or even top 9? He is a fringe NHL'er at best, who hasn't shown any ability to score at this level.

Jason Zucker has been playing on our 3rd and 4th line, and getting little to no PP time, yet it hasn't prevented him from showing off his God given speed on numerous breakaways, and scoring on a couple. You can see his talent, yet he has to work his ass off if he wants to move up in the line up.
Eriksson-Ek is big, strong, fast, and plays a sound two way game. He has also scored 5 pts. in four games. He is also on our 4th line. Why should Pulkkinen be elevated in the line up over him when he has shown NOTHING?

Are you saying Stewart, who has scored 28 goals twice in this league, can still pot the odd one, is faster than Pulkkinen and is a monster physically, should be bypassed in favor of TP? Stewart has spent a lot of time on our 4th line, btw.

Hell, Jordan Schroeder at least showed some speed.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hell, Jordan Schroeder at least showed some speed.

I liked Pokemon a lot better than I like Schroeder...

The ozone/dzone starts had more to do with BB matching lines, and there were several shifts where his line would be a win the FO, get the puck in deep, and get off the ice to have a better matchup.

Saying BB didn't use him correctly might be true, but he doesn't even know how to use the Wild players from last year correctly. He's still learning the players, and the players are still learning him. We're 8 games into the season (only 1 FWD injured) and the lines still aren't near set.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I just don't think there's enough spots for him with Haula coming back plus I think BB likes Dalpe's game better than Pulkkinens

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
He was pretty blah and rarely in the proper position to use that shot of his.

He needed a lot of space to get off a clean slapper and he needed a half a day to take a wrister and by that time someone would steal it, or push him off the puck. Oh well I wish him luck wherever he ends up.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Pulkkinen's AHL domination obviously doesn't translate well to the NHL. It happens, and I'm sure he'll find gainful employment in a European league/KHL.

Nothing against the guy at all; he's a hard worker, and a good player in general, but he just doesn't have enough strengths to make up for his weaknesses in the NHL.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Pulkkinen is the kind of player who could be a star in a slower league where he can utilize his talent better. I don't think it is good for his career to stay in NA anymore.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I think once BB has felt he has given someone a chance, and they've failed to grab it by the throat, they're gone. We saw it with Graovac in training camp, and now Pulkinnen. Teemu really didn't do much.

Now Eriksson Ek, that's how you reach out and grab a roster spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad