Waived: Wild waive Teemu Pulkkinen (cleared)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He wasn't in that spot enough. They used him as the net front guy, and a 4th line wing mostly.

That's such an exaggeration, he wasn't in front of the net very much.

Maybe if he got a shot on net more frequently he would've stayed at the OV snip zone

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Over the last 3 seasons combined Pulkkinen is 3rd on the Wings among forwards with 50+ games in Sog/60.

Bottom 6ers do better in the per 60 stats.

Offensive bottom sixers with no 2way should do great in shots per 60.

His accuracy is only 8.1%, which is very bad for a scorer. Profilic NHL scorer has 10% or higher shooting accuracy.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Over the last 3 seasons combined Pulkkinen is 3rd on the Wings among forwards with 50+ games in Sog/60.

I'm not surprised, the only thing he can do is take shots. My comment was more of an extreme because I was responding to VR saying he was mainly used as netfront, which I disagree.
I'd hope so with him getting 61.5 and 67.5 offensive zone% respectively the last 2 years.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
He is better than all of them.

i expect he is. that's why i believe the most pessimistic prediction should be "It's a lateral move", so there is indeed nothing there to get upset with should he fail to set the world on fire from the 4th line.

DK what his addition will do or if Ek will stick, but that could be a sleeper of a fourth line to roll out there if it's Zucker-Eriksson Ek-Pulkkinen. Far from a traditional 4th line of bangers but they could do some damage vs other teams' bottom six.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
For those interested, this would have cost Minnesota $41,250, not counted against the cap, paid to Detroit.

Considering the Wild are paying Vanek and Cooke $2.5m not to play for them this year, it's pocket change. :shakehead

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
That is a realllly odd 4th line though

See how that goes

All top3 lines can play against the top opponents. Having a one dimensional kid scoring line at 4th should be fantastic comparing to grinders.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
All top3 lines can play against the top opponents. Having a one dimensional kid scoring line at 4th should be fantastic comparing to grinders.

Until Teemu gets bodied every time he touches the puck.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Until Teemu gets bodied every time he touches the puck.

If he's really that bad, he gets replaced easily and we move on. We acquired him for free so there's no scenario where we come out worse than before.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
One way player that lacks the foot speed to separate from opponents at the NHL level but also the size/strength to fend them off. What he does have is a quick, accurate release.

ie. He's a peripheral player, won't find him near the corners or the crease. Has the skill, but he's not built for this league.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
One way player that lacks the foot speed to separate from opponents at the NHL level but also the size/strength to fend them off. What he does have is a quick, accurate release.

ie. He's a peripheral player, won't find him near the corners or the crease. Has the skill, but he's not built for this league.

From what I remember his release is actually quite slow.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
From what I remember his release is actually quite slow.

I will say that most of the goals I've seen him score have been either short wind up snap shots or full on slappers. But of the wristers I saw I certainly wouldn't describe any as "slow".

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I will say that most of the goals I've seen him score have been either short wind up snap shots or full on slappers. But of the wristers I saw I certainly wouldn't describe any as "slow".

You're prob right. I must be thinking of just his slapper.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I remember wings fans bash on Filppula when they let him walk and signed Weiss for the money that Filppula asked. Kind of similar bashing here now on Pulkkinen. Oh well. :)

Filppula turned down several contract offers from Detroit leading up to Free Agency that offseason. He wanted to get as far away as he could from Babcock.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
I doubt he plays in the 4th line. It would make sense to put Stewart on the 4th line with Zucker and Eriksson-Ek, and send Bertschy+Dalpe to Iowa where they belong.

Apparently the plan is to go:

Staal/Coyle/Parise
Nino/Haula/Pommer
Pulkkinen/Koivu/Granlund
Zucker/Eriksson-Ek/Stewart

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014

I haven't seen him enough to gauge how fast he is compared to other skaters, but is he really that slow.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
I haven't seen him enough to gauge how fast he is compared to other skaters, but is he really that slow.

hes not super slow but so far he hasnt been fast enough to create enough seperation to get his slap shot off and hes not strong enough on the puck to fight people off. hes only played 70 nhl games so he has room for improvment and has a slapshot that will hurt people that block it. granlund might be the perfect player to help him get his shots off and koivu could teach him alot about playing both ends.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00