Confirmed with Link: Wild Signs Marcus Foligno (4 years, $2.875M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
They were both restricted.

Expiration status is equally as important. A 20 year old signing a 2 year bridge deal where the team still owns their rights once it expires vs. a 26 year old with 1 RFA year left are really as different of situations you can get for RFA contracts.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
My first inclination is that it's a little too expensive and a little too lengthy of a contract. I'll give Fletch and BB the benefit of the doubt, and see how he performs on the ice.

This is pretty much my take on it as well.Foligno is a big guy who hits a lot which is an area the Wild needs to improve.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
Foligno - JEE - Coyle

From Russo's article, Boudreau is clearly enamored with the size of that line and complimented Foligno's performance on the skate test. JEE has a shot at being a really good player in the NHL and I like the idea of having a couple of big bodies on his line during his first full season. Foligno has a great opportunity to grow offensively and to earn that contract. Hope springs eternal each year in October.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Foligno - JEE - Coyle

From Russo's article, Boudreau is clearly enamored with the size of that line and complimented Foligno's performance on the skate test. JEE has a shot at being a really good player in the NHL and I like the idea of having a couple of big bodies on his line during his first full season. Foligno has a great opportunity to grow offensively and to earn that contract. Hope springs eternal each year in October.
Shades of Penner-Getzslaf-Perry?

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
The biggest thing I've seen happening these couple of years is Wild getting bigger. And not just bigger, but a little bit meaner without shooting themselves in the leg.

While I hope Foligno earns his keep by playing hockey, I certainly don't mind seeing someone wearing the Wild jersey actually being able to win a fight, if gloves need to be dropped.

I bet our division rivals aren't too happy either they have to face a tad bigger and meaner Minnesota Wild upcoming season.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
The biggest thing I've seen happening these couple of years is Wild getting bigger. And not just bigger, but a little bit meaner without shooting themselves in the leg.

While I hope Foligno earns his keep by playing hockey, I certainly don't mind seeing someone wearing the Wild jersey actually being able to win a fight, if gloves need to be dropped.

I bet our division rivals aren't too happy either they have to face a tad bigger and meaner Minnesota Wild upcoming season.

If they can skate circles around them I'm pretty sure they will be happy. Not saying the Wild is slow but...

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Not gonna bash on Marco, cuz he's been a fave, but in the cold light of day, is a defenseman who puts up 4 goals, 9 assists, -2, 50 hits, and more giveaways than takeaways worth a 4 million cap hit?

I thought his game regressed after the high-water mark of 14-15.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I've seen him play plenty of times. I watch an obscene amount of hockey and Buffalo is on nationally more than any team but Chicago and Pittsburgh because they get insane ratings for some reason. I've probably watched 3 dozen or more buffalo games in the past 4 years.

And the problem isn't even with Foligno, he's an above average 4th liner, who probably shouldn't be in the top 9 of a team with playoff aspirations. He has value for a hockey team.

But he's replaceable. And you just can't give those guys term, especially at almost 3 million dollars and especially with the cap situation we've been in and will continue to be in. There is zero reason to lock into a player of Markus Foligno's caliber 4 years from now at 3 million dollars.

It's a mistake. It's a mistake Fletcher has made time and again. Term to 4th liners for too much. And almost without fail, he has to dump those players within two years. Nystrom, Staubitz, Mitchell, Powe, Cooke. Same thing, over and over again. 4th liners of varying degree's of skill level, that have to be dumped.

Forgive me if i'm disheartened our GM can't seem to learn the basic principle of you shouldn't give term to 4th liners, that keeps biting him in the ass.

You're more than welcome to continue to defer to the authority that has had to dump almost every 4th liner he's ever acquired. I'll continue to think it was a terrible decision to put one one the books 4 years from now at 3 million dollars

You made my point on foligno much better than I could've. Acquiring him and paying him is a symptom of what I, and others, think is an organizational problem which makes it more frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad