Confirmed with Link: Wild Signs Marcus Foligno (4 years, $2.875M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You have to remember, players tend to lose some of their offense when moving to Minnesota. As for Ennis, he has only one season where he had more points than Pominville did last year and that was his rookie season. Furthermore, Minnesota now has only two natural right wingers and none in the stables.

True under previous regimes. But Boudreau had is in the top 5 or top 3 or whatever.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I'm also of the belief that players should be able to play either wing if they are good enough. Handedness be damned.

And players "losing offense" is an excuse. Pominville wasn't doing what he was paid for and was moved because of it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You have to remember, players tend to lose some of their offense when moving to Minnesota. As for Ennis, he has only one season where he had more points than Pominville did last year and that was his rookie season. Furthermore, Minnesota now has only two natural right wingers and none in the stables.

That was pre-Boudreau. Players under Bruce typically trend up.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What an odd contract. My first reaction is a little too much money, and a year too long. I hope GMCF/BB see something that I haven't.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I currently don't like this, but that's based on his past production on a bad team and not really seeing him play.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I'm not a fan of the contract. I have a feeling it will be an annoyance that will need to be moved later.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
If he becomes a mainstay as the 3rd line LW and can mentor and protect JEE and maybe Kunin, this could be ok, but this is going to be an anchor if he gets surpassed and sits on the 4th line for the next 4 years.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
How many of those complaining have actually seen him play more than a couple games?
I always love how fans constantly think they know more than those who work for the damn teams.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
mgmt must see something i dont. massive overpayment for a 4th liner. i'd rather have scanny on D at 4 mill than foligno at almost 3.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I know what you are saying but lol at "if".
That is just as much of a statement of other players as Foligno. Things happen. JEE and Kunin might need further development. Ennis might never get off the 4th line. Parise's back might start becoming more and more of a problem. Somebody else will probably always be hurt.
Koivu and Zucker might price themselves out of a roster spot. Coyle might become trade bait. Etc.

District 5

Mar 1, 2014
How many of those complaining have actually seen him play more than a couple games?
I always love how fans constantly think they know more than those who work for the damn teams.

Couldn't agree more. I mean I'm not in love with the contract, but it has been well documented that Fletcher and Company love this kids game and feel he is a valuable piece added to this team. But that's the world we live in today, grossly overreacting to everything without having seen the kid play.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I've watched a few Buffalo games and Marcus Foligno really never stood out. Always known to me as Nick Foligno's less talented younger brother. His stats are 4th line material even though he got quite a bit of ice time in Buffalo (likely because of how atrocious the team was/is). Even Buffalo fans are saying he's overpaid by $500k and his contract is too long.

However, one interesting observation is that his +/- isn't actually that bad given how poor of a team Buffalo has been. Only a -5 on the season during the deliberate tank year of 2014-2015. Maybe, he'll turn into another Kyle Brodziak......oh god, pls no :sarcasm:

Goose312

May 15, 2015

Completely agree. Not only that, if you take a look at his cap comparables he's not nearly as overpaid as people seem to want to think. This is about the going rate for someone in his situation when it buys 3 UFA years. This is going to pan out similar to Hanzal. People who only look at points will ask why, but some players bring more than just points.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Completely agree. Not only that, if you take a look at his cap comparables he's not nearly as overpaid as people seem to want to think. This is about the going rate for someone in his situation when it buys 3 UFA years. This is going to pan out similar to Hanzal. People who only look at points will ask why, but some players bring more than just points.

His hit and term is inline with comparable. Comparables like Clutterbuck, and Martin who's contracts are just as bad and were called as such when they signed. The reaction around here to Clutterbuck's latest deal was laughing at the Islanders.

I'm not going to turn hypocrite when our GM does the exact same thing. Some GMs, even a lot of them, over value these type of extremely replaceable players. That doesn't mean I have to sugar coat my disdain for the deal when our's does it (for the 5th or 6th time).

I ripped those other contracts, i'm sure as hell going to rip this one.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

This shouldn't be news, but teams and GMs make a lot of friggen mistakes. Fletcher's had enough buyouts over the years to verify that.

Some of them are very predictable and identifiable the moment they happen, especially given we've had enough years to know how he works.. Matt Cooke to a 3 year at 35 years old? Mistake the moment it happened. Picking up Jarret Stoll off waivers? Easily identifiable mistake.

The moment he traded for Foligno this mistake was predictable, now that we know the terms it's identifiable. In 2 or 3 years when we need an extra million or two of capspace while Foligno's been passed up by Kunin, Greenway and JEE making 3 million on the 4th line, we're going to be *****ing about this contract non stop.

Just like people were with Brodziak, who was twice as useful as Foligno.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Garbage contract. Winnik is just as good and can't even get a deal. Why Fletcher even wanted this guy is beyond me. We are going to regret this when we have to sign kids in the future. Why does he overpay 4th liners? You fill that role with prospects and PTOs not 4 year deals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad