Confirmed with Link: Wild Signs Marcus Foligno (4 years, $2.875M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
So the Wild have acquired some hockey royalty in Marcus Foligno. I am perhaps more happy about this than some on this board. I think he will be a great add to the team.

Thought he deserved his own thread apart from the trade thread.

I really believe he could be a 20 goal bottom 6 guy with physicality on his side.

Let's talk Foligno....

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
We may have exhausted the topic. Hope he does get signed soon - I mentioned the way Patrick Maroon took off for the Oilers in a different thread. Foligno might have that in him. There's not much evidence for it but the Wild's scouts have been right before (as much as we ding them when they're wrong).

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
We may have exhausted the topic. Hope he does get signed soon - I mentioned the way Patrick Maroon took off for the Oilers in a different thread. Foligno might have that in him. There's not much evidence for it but the Wild's scouts have been right before (as much as we ding them when they're wrong).

Steady progression, and onto a better team - who knows. His junior career was also slow and steady.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Patrick Maroon played on McDavid's wing. Next comparison.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
IMO Foligno is the more valuable return than Ennis. I'll be happy if he can get 15 goals, but brings the sandpaper we so desperately need. Always liked his gme, even if it isn't glamorous.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Unless he gets hurt, I think there's a very high probability that Foligno plays exactly to character - a big, physical banger, a grinder who can chip in a few goals who will drop the gloves. I thinks his physicality is a huge addition to this team. Many comments over the years about guys like Foligno, they make the other players braver, they play 2 inches and 20 pounds heavier.

Ennis is a huge wildcard. He could be a fantastic surprise, a big addition to the team. This year's E. Staal. Or he could be another Schroeder... But there was a reason he got that big buck contract from Buffalo, he was a Top 2 Line impact player. And that didn't change due to old age, it changed due to injury.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
And once again some depth forward who can make an impact. Where's the big fishes that we need? Ennis or Foligno ain't really the ones.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
20g/20a season as a 3rd liner (no PP time) is the about the ceiling for him this season. He could see some PK time to give the top-6 some time off (Cullen helps too).

Clutterbuck is probably the most recent Wild comparable player to Foligno.

I say 3rd line for him because:
-GMCF didn't trade Scandella to fill a 4th line wing slot
-$2m+ (expected contract) is too much to pay a 4th line wing (unless your the NYI), when your team is already cap tight.
-Nino, Foligno, and Stewie give 3 of the 4 lines the grit/sandpaper that BB wants from his teams.
-Foligno plays a decent 2-way game, and isn't afraid to plant himself net front.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
20g/20a season as a 3rd liner (no PP time) is the about the ceiling for him this season. He could see some PK time to give the top-6 some time off (Cullen helps too).

Clutterbuck is probably the most recent Wild comparable player to Foligno.

I say 3rd line for him because:
-GMCF didn't trade Scandella to fill a 4th line wing slot
-$2m+ (expected contract) is too much to pay a 4th line wing (unless your the NYI), when your team is already cap tight.
-Nino, Foligno, and Stewie give 3 of the 4 lines the grit/sandpaper that BB wants from his teams.
-Foligno plays a decent 2-way game, and isn't afraid to plant himself net front.
Except Fletcher loves to overpay for grinders.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
And once again some depth forward who can make an impact. Where's the big fishes that we need? Ennis or Foligno ain't really the ones.

I'll jump aboard your thought train if you can find me a big fish we could afford while still staying under the salary cap.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The guy has a career high of 23 points. Color me underwhelmed. The NHL has changed to a skating and skill league, and we decide to go heavy? Scandella, for all his awkwardness, was a fast, mobile guy. I still can't believe this trade. BUF fans were dancing in the streets when it was made.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The guy has a career high of 23 points. Color me underwhelmed. The NHL has changed to a skating and skill league, and we decide to go heavy? Scandella, for all his awkwardness, was a fast, mobile guy. I still can't believe this trade. BUF fans were dancing in the streets when it was made.

Foligno can skate. And I don't think there's much question that the Wild needed some more heavy. Unfortunately an internal solution like Gabriel only goes so far. But when your team gets the best two players in a four-player deal you're bound to be happy about it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild weren't beat because they weren't physical enough. They were beat because their goalie was outplayed, and they didn't have timely scoring.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Wild weren't beat because they weren't physical enough. They were beat because their goalie was outplayed, and they didn't have timely scoring.

All true. Yet one enduring memory I have is Brodin getting worked by Tarasenko for a key goal - tried to play the puck with his skates instead of hitting one of the league's most dangerous scorers. Not getting into scoring position was a problem for the team - could have used a Vanek. As that series went on, could the Wild have gotten back into it if Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester started to rush things a bit? Could a better forecheck have tilted things?

It's always dangerous to plan for next season based on the failures of last season. That said, I can see why Foligno fits the bill. Ryan Reaves was definitely a difference-maker in the series - so much so that the Champs signed him. Old-school hockey matters in the playoffs.

Not sure the silence on Foligno's contract is such a good sign though. He's entitled to a certain amount of money - the Wild barely have it.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
All true. Yet one enduring memory I have is Brodin getting worked by Tarasenko for a key goal - tried to play the puck with his skates instead of hitting one of the league's most dangerous scorers. Not getting into scoring position was a problem for the team - could have used a Vanek. As that series went on, could the Wild have gotten back into it if Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester started to rush things a bit? Could a better forecheck have tilted things?

It's always dangerous to plan for next season based on the failures of last season. That said, I can see why Foligno fits the bill. Ryan Reaves was definitely a difference-maker in the series - so much so that the Champs signed him. Old-school hockey matters in the playoffs.

Not sure the silence on Foligno's contract is such a good sign though. He's entitled to a certain amount of money - the Wild barely have it.
It's pretty sad that out of a 5 game series that's the one enduring memory.

Here I would have thought if would've been all the odd-man rushes we gave up while Dumba and Suter were on the ice, the weak goals that Dubnyk gave up, the penalties Suter and Parise took, the teams inability to play in front of the net, etc.

If your one enduring memory is that of Brodin being bested one time by Tarasenko and not Koivu getting walked in an even worse fashion, Hanzal losing a board battle to a guy half his size on the series clinching goal, Dumba skating to the bench instead of back checking, or all the other shortcomings of the team as a whole - then my recommendation would be to do better at hiding your bias.

As far as Foligno goes, the most probable outcome of his signing will be that we added very little skill to a team that desperately needs skill players. As long as the Wild lack a superstar, we won't make any meaningful runs in the playoffs.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Except Fletcher loves to overpay for grinders.

In defense of Fletcher here: Not as much as DR did.

Funny you ask, because I actually feel that the Wild's forecheck is probably one of it's strongest aspects, thanks to the speed of its wingers. That said, we did need something to get the Blues defense rushing things. Their first pairing is insanely skilled, but even their second and third pairings looked good against the Wild, I thought. Personally, I felt like we weren't penetrating the center of the ice as well as we had been during the regular season. The Blues defenders are all huge guys, and they were constantly getting their sticks on pucks that were going through that area. We played too much finesse, when we needed a real net-crasher. Foligno could be that guy, but I question his hands around the net. We need Coyle to be that guy, and he just plays so soft, too often.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It's pretty sad that out of a 5 game series that's the one enduring memory.

Here I would have thought if would've been all the odd-man rushes we gave up while Dumba and Suter were on the ice, the weak goals that Dubnyk gave up, the penalties Suter and Parise took, the teams inability to play in front of the net, etc.

If your one enduring memory is that of Brodin being bested one time by Tarasenko and not Koivu getting walked in an even worse fashion, Hanzal losing a board battle to a guy half his size on the series clinching goal, Dumba skating to the bench instead of back checking, or all the other shortcomings of the team as a whole - then my recommendation would be to do better at hiding your bias.

As far as Foligno goes, the most probable outcome of his signing will be that we added very little skill to a team that desperately needs skill players. As long as the Wild lack a superstar, we won't make any meaningful runs in the playoffs.

All that would be fair if I had said "the one enduring memory." I didn't and your record of making posts that attack others without any basis continues. Try harder next time to read.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am bummed that we didn't beat the Blues, but let's not forget that we outplayed them for the vast majority of the time, certainly outshot them, and were simply beat by a scorching hot goalie.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I keep getting the sense that Fletcher is playing not to lose, rather than to win.

Foligno trade seemed like Nino insurance, rather than a real need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad