GDT: Wild @ Ducks | 9.00 PM CT | FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuthalu

Jan 21, 2013
Winland
They had a full day and a half to prepare for this one. This is their profession and they looked like a bunch of amateurs all night long.

Against the Ducks.
Ducks had spectacular game, best of the season and their season has been good so far, miles away from the last two seasons. :nod:

Vatanen > Granlund. :amazed:

THEALLKNOWING*

Can they please take Heatley off the first line. Its a 200 ft game, with his effective range equivalent to Bruno's. BTW, who played wing with MK and DH? Talk about being absent.

Yeo gotta go, Yeo gotta go. Torchetti at the ready, Torchetti at the ready.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Just watched the rerun and what a brutal game it was. The finnish commentator was saying Wild fans want to trade Heatley but no one wants him or something like that. He did admit he isn't a fan of Heatley though.

THEALLKNOWING*

Heatley looks slower than Andrew Brunette! If somebody wanted him, I say go for it. I would rather have someone like Coyle or Zucker get experience than watching one dimensional Heatley go through the motions for about 150 ft of the ice surface.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
What the **** was that? Absolutely zero offensive zone time. No scoring chances to speak of. We have no creativity or speed coming through the neutral zone. I think is a huge problem we have been dealing with for 4+ years. We don't have enough players that push the pace and get the defense on their heels. Koivu, Heatley, Granlund, Brodziak are all pretty slow and none have one on one dangling skills. Parise, Seto, and Cullen seem to have some speed but they understand how to make plays off of the rush and neither do their linemates.

We are pretty one dimensional offensively. Not to mention one line deep. The only way we gain scoring chances is by getting the puck down low in the offense zone then cycling and getting dirty goals. When is the last time you saw a nice passing play at even strength result in a goal? This is where are slower players are able to cycle and create chances. But like in tonights game when we can't establish the offensive zone time we aren't going to get any chances. Other teams might be able to survive a night like tonight because they have speed and the ability to pounce on turnovers and go the other way making plays off of the rush, we don't.

I think this lack of north south speed with the ability to finish is one of our greatest problems that can possibly be solved with our youth. Zucker is exactly the kind of player we need more of in our system. Whenever he is able to join the club he is going to be a huge help with our lack of speed through the neutral zone. This is what will get you clean zone entries and puck possession as well as goals off of the rush.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Out coached? Give me a break...the players didn't show up tonight.

From what I've seen, Wild's been out coached in plenty of games this season... I still can't even tell what's their system. The first line won a few games for them but otherwise it's been terrible to watch, IMO.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
I agree that we should move Heatley down a line, but not because he's been bad. I'm not going to blame him for everything, that whole line played like garbage yesterday. The main reason is that I think the opposing coaches have figured them out. They didn't have a great game against Chicago, followed by a horrible game yesterday. And if we don't give this line a different look, Dave Tippett is going to pick them apart the same way Quenneville and Boudreau did.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
just plain fugly last nite. i dont expect a win every time but i sure expect a better effort from a playoff bound team (at least i thought thats why CL spent to the cap). the ducks were stronger, bigger, faster, smarter than the wild. did i miss any positives besides backs? did the entire team eat bad sushi again?

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Heatley looks slower than Andrew Brunette! If somebody wanted him, I say go for it. I would rather have someone like Coyle or Zucker get experience than watching one dimensional Heatley go through the motions for about 150 ft of the ice surface.

You'd better go back and watch some Brunette games; because Heatley can skate circles around Bruno. Yes he is slower that Parise/Koivu, but he still brings value. He is still playing the body every game, good with the puck, and can be deadly in the slot. Should he stay on the 1st line? Not sure, but he certainly should be on the top PP line.

The problem is so many people expected we were getting a 50 goal scorer in Heatley when we traded for him. But anyone who actually did some research realized that we were getting a 25-30 goal per year player at best. Which for the WILD meant our highest scorer every year (except 1-2 years from Groinerick). If we could get 20-30 goals from all of our top 6 forwards, we would be just fine.

The problem is the Wild Franchise has never been able to score goals. Doesn't matter what coach, GM or players we have, we just can't score goals. It appears that Norm Green not only stole our team, but also cursed our land as well.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
By the way, how much longer before we all realize that signing Suter is going to be the 2nd coming of the Gomez contract.

Suter is so bad defensively, I want to cry. ONCE AGAIN he was on the ice when the Ducks scored the go ahead goal, and it was 100% his fault, as he was totally out of position and thus left Brodin all alone to stop a 2 on 1.

Sneaky Priest

See you Nov. 2
Sep 20, 2011
Lino Lakes
By the way, how much longer before we all realize that signing Suter is going to be the 2nd coming of the Gomez contract.

Suter is so bad defensively, I want to cry. ONCE AGAIN he was on the ice when the Ducks scored the go ahead goal, and it was 100% his fault, as he was totally out of position and thus left Brodin all alone to stop a 2 on 1.

I personally think its way too earlier to throw Suter under the bus.......

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
Just finished watching the game. That was ugly as hell. Some notes:

- Boudreau's Ducks play the puck possession game. When it works like it did today it is beautiful to watch. I'm not ready to turn on Yeo yet but I do wonder why do the Wild have such a poor possession game? Tonight was a perfect example - just a dump after a dump after a dump. How about passing it between teammates for a change??

- Dany Heatley, what the hell? You whiffed on the puck a dozen times tonight. Your forecheck is a joke. Come on, earn your paycheck man!

I have wondered this as well. Is it the coaching? The players? Do neither of them know how to cycle? Occasionally they will have some good possession. But for most of the games the play seems sloppy. 1 connected pass and then they lose the puck. They spend most the game trying to get the puck back.

I agree on Heatley too. I've said this before, and some don't value it as much as I do. But we need more speed in the top 6. Parise is fine, he's the kind of player I want in the top 6. Seto is fast but some would argue he's more of a 3rd liner. Cullen has speed but that's about it. Granlund has decent speed but is struggling in other areas to make him effective. But Koivu and Heatley are slow. To have an effective attack speed is very important. For rushes up the ice and for dump and chase. What's the point of dumping the puck in when the defenseman gets there first everytime.

But with that said I think our first line can still be good. I just wish they would forecheck more. Last night a Duck's defenseman had the puck behind the net with another defenseman near the hash marks along the boards. Parise was forechecking while Koivu and Heatley were spinning around in circles near the blue line. The defenseman behind the net passes to the other dfenseman and he bobbles it. Now if someone else had been forechecking that could have been a turnover. But instead that defenseman had all the time in the world to regain possession.

THEALLKNOWING*

You'd better go back and watch some Brunette games; because Heatley can skate circles around Bruno. Yes he is slower that Parise/Koivu, but he still brings value. He is still playing the body every game, good with the puck, and can be deadly in the slot. Should he stay on the 1st line? Not sure, but he certainly should be on the top PP line.

The problem is so many people expected we were getting a 50 goal scorer in Heatley when we traded for him. But anyone who actually did some research realized that we were getting a 25-30 goal per year player at best. Which for the WILD meant our highest scorer every year (except 1-2 years from Groinerick). If we could get 20-30 goals from all of our top 6 forwards, we would be just fine.

The problem is the Wild Franchise has never been able to score goals. Doesn't matter what coach, GM or players we have, we just can't score goals. It appears that Norm Green not only stole our team, but also cursed our land as well.

I said looks slower. Heatley's wind-up slapper is annoying. Takes forever to release. Here's a hint Danny, its doesn't work very often. The Wild could put just about anybody with Koivu and Parise, and they may score as many goals as Heatley. For example, last year Cal C scored quite a few on a line with Koivu.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
I personally think its way too earlier to throw Suter under the bus.......

REALLY? The guy has been on the ice for 90% of the goals against, and for most of them, he was badly out of place. He's not covering guys in the slot, he is giving up 2 on 1's because he is out of place, etc. If I want to see that crappy D, then bring Zidlicky back, but we are talking about the"100 million dollar" D-man, and he's playing no better than Prosser is defensively. To me that is unacceptable.

BUt then again, I played defense, and was a Defensive defense man, so I have very little respect for the Paul Coffey, Cam Fowler style defense ..."Yeah I scored a goal and 2 assists tonight ....who cares that I was also -4 " :shakehead:help:

Sneaky Priest

See you Nov. 2
Sep 20, 2011
Lino Lakes
really? The guy has been on the ice for 90% of the goals against, and for most of them, he was badly out of place. He's not covering guys in the slot, he is giving up 2 on 1's because he is out of place, etc. If i want to see that crappy d, then bring zidlicky back, but we are talking about the"100 million dollar" d-man, and he's playing no better than prosser is defensively. To me that is unacceptable.

But then again, i played defense, and was a defensive defense man, so i have very little respect for the paul coffey, cam fowler style defense ..."yeah i scored a goal and 2 assists tonight ....who cares that i was also -4 " :shakehead:help:

8 games

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN

This is ridiculous.

He has played 542 games with Nashville. Five hundred and forty two games with a super defensive coach and system. The majority of them with one of the best defenders of our time, Shea Weber. Is he playing up to his contract right now? No. But calling him the second coming of Gomez? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Okay, buddy.

He has played eight games with Minnesota. Eight. He has played less than 2% of his entire NHL career with us so far. 1.45%, to be precise. I honeslty do not get how you could possibly judge him already.

Posts like this are so ridiculous. I just don't get it.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed

I can see players not having their scoring touch the first 8 games, or a defensively player having a couple bad games; ... but we are talking about 8 straight games of NOT PLAYING the MOST BASIC defense fundamentals.

I never had noticed Suter when he played for Nashville, so I'm not sure how this is how he played for them, but if it is, then he was way overpaid.

If he never played this bad until he got to Minnesota, then he is nothing more that a "show-me-the-money" player,who now is just coasting by and collecting checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad