Post-Game Talk: Wild at Rangers - December 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
The momentum of the game turned as soon as Girardi took a really needless icing right before Minnesota tied it in the 1st period. The Rangers were rolling before that.

Lundqvist let up 3 bad goals. Every goal except for the 1st one was a complete defensive breakdown.

Why did Skjei sit last night? It's not like the Rangers were playing the team he rooted for as a kid and wouldn't be fired up to play them or anything. This coach sometimes...

I was at the game so I didn't read through the thread but I lost my **** watching that shift from him. In that one shift alone; he turned the puck over, poked it away from McDonagh, and proceeded to ice the puck. I was losing my mind watching it and sure enough, the puck is in the net right after the faceoff.

I don't get how this ****ing coaching staff watches this **** and thinks it's acceptable.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I was at the game so I didn't read through the thread but I lost my **** watching that shift from him. In that one shift alone; he turned the puck over, poked it away from McDonagh, and proceeded to ice the puck. I was losing my mind watching it and sure enough, the puck is in the net right after the faceoff.

I don't get how this ****ing coaching staff watches this **** and thinks it's acceptable.

The head coach makes all the decisions at the end of the day. Sully followed Torts for many years during his career and the differences in their coaching style, even before Torts became more flexible is dramatic. Buek isn't managing the D on the grand scheme of things as much as we were hoping for. AV just doesn't know how to assess defensemen.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
The only bit of good news is that Gorton has appeared to be as desperate and proactive in trying to improve the defense on the right side as he needs to be. Just have to get through this final season of Dan Girardi's Rangers career and hope something falls together the right way in the playoffs.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
So if G stands there to allow Henrik to see it and it goes in the same people rip him for puck watching. If he tries to sell out and take the block on a puck the franchise goalie should make and it goes in it is G's fault too.

If you go down to block a puck right in front of a goaltender and don't block it, you guarantee that your goalie cannot see the puck. He would have been better off trying to get closer to the shooter and using his stick, even though that's not a great play, either.

It's Girardi's responsibilty to be in the correct position so as to prevent it from even being a possibility. His lack of mobility often puts him in a horrible position.

Every game I see Girardi bend over and place one glove on the ice to block a shot. From that position, it takes him far too long to get back into proper position.

Hank played poorly, but at this point it should be obvious to everyone that Girardi screws up at least 3-4 times a game that leads to an excellent scoring chance against.

I hate criticizing Girardi because throughout his career he was a very smart and very tough player, but in every single game he makes at least one horrific play.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Plus some want to talk breakdowns? What breakdown happened on the first one that was marshmallow soft? The only breakdown he has an argument on is the one where Koivu was left right alone in front. Lundqvist couldn't even stop the puck behind the net on the one that he was eventually pulled on. Once he tries to stop that puck behind the net and misses it it messes everybody up because the d and forwards are in a different position. The one he tried to punch out? I mean like I said, they were lazy coming out for that second period but he tries to super punch the puck out and botched that one. Let's also not forget that he tried to "head" a puck earlier in the game and missed it and it caught bar. From game to game right now you just do not know what you are going to get and you don't think the team thinks that too? Raanta so far this year has made the routine saves look easier. Lundqvist looks to be fighting the puck at times. But anyway, just don't understand where many of these goals resulted on breakdowns. One goal really.

Both goalies gave up a ton in their last start. Maybe they aren't the primary problem.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If this GM goes out and gets 1-2 d men and he sits Skjei and rolls with the vets and they are one and done I hope Gorton cans this guy. Singles out a guy who is on pace for 35+ points and is a tremendous skater. Whacked coach. Klein and G need rest.

Isn't Gorton the guy responsible for the personnel?

Management has left the Rangers with these defensemen, not AV.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Not play them 20 minutes a night for a start.

That's easy to say except the other options are no better.

You can't cobble a group of 6 good defensemen out of the group. It's not like AV is preventing a real asset from seeing more ice time.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

sounds like ... inefficient touches.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That's easy to say except the other options are no better.

You can't cobble a group of 6 good defensemen out of the group. It's not like AV is preventing a real asset from seeing more ice time.

This is going to come down to how bad do you think each defenseman actually is

I believe Klein and Clendening are easily, without any doubt, better options than Dan Girardi. We saw what Clendening could do when he played consistent minutes and got in a groove. Girardi is a zero sum gain and we don't owe him minutes, why not see what you have in another player? And even then, just play Klein or Holden at 1RD? We've already accepted we aren't winning anything so why are we letting garbage vets fart all over the ice on D over trying something new? Isn't this the exact situation you do this in.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't want good old Clendo out there in a playoff game.

IMO this loss, as embarrassing as it was, showed a team that was slogging it versus a team firing on all cylinders.

I'm expecting some more middling hockey after the CLS game next week. But the Rangers have 4 winnable games coming up after some time off. They should be refreshed coming out of the break.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Alright, alright..
About something positive - what happened to D. Stepan?
He looked like a new version Stamkos out there last night - he fake a shot and waited and hit the puck hard into the net like a pro. His best game of the year easy - Stepan looks very promising after christmas for sure.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Clendening is a spare part. He's a solid #7.

How he's played as a Ranger might say otherwise.

What's the loss in finding out? Even if you think Clendening sucks, what is the gain to playing **** vets in these spots instead a relative unknown?

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Isn't Gorton the guy responsible for the personnel?

Management has left the Rangers with these defensemen, not AV.

Sather is the reason they are stuck with immovable contracts. Everybody ripping Gorton are nuts because do you think he hasn't tried to trade either? He is stuck with this d but Skjei and Clen should not sit over Klein or Girardi right now.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
If you go down to block a puck right in front of a goaltender and don't block it, you guarantee that your goalie cannot see the puck. He would have been better off trying to get closer to the shooter and using his stick, even though that's not a great play, either.

It's Girardi's responsibilty to be in the correct position so as to prevent it from even being a possibility. His lack of mobility often puts him in a horrible position.

Every game I see Girardi bend over and place one glove on the ice to block a shot. From that position, it takes him far too long to get back into proper position.

Hank played poorly, but at this point it should be obvious to everyone that Girardi screws up at least 3-4 times a game that leads to an excellent scoring chance against.

I hate criticizing Girardi because throughout his career he was a very smart and very tough player, but in every single game he makes at least one horrific play.

That whole play happens too because the goalie couldn't stop the puck behind the net btw.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
How he's played as a Ranger might say otherwise.

What's the loss in finding out? Even if you think Clendening sucks, what is the gain to playing **** vets in these spots instead a relative unknown?

I don't think he's been good at all as a Ranger. He's very shaky in his own zone. I just do not trust him at all back there.

I'm fine with him getting games, but he's a spare part at best.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I just don't get the thinking behind "they all suck and there's no better options."

Then play the less ****** option? Why is it okay to play the absolute worst option you have 20 minutes a night on the top pair?

McDonagh - Holden
Staal - Clendening
Skjei - Girardi/Klein

Those are the best D pairings you can create out of the garbage currently on the team. I'm willing to give Girardi a chance on the 3rd pair since he was at least passable when he was paired with Skjei back in October getting 16 minutes a night. Clendening compliments Staal in that he can at least move the puck even if he may be deficient in his own zone and he brings a better presence on PP2 than Skjei. You don't want Holden on the top pair obviously but he's looked really good the past month and a half and he's the best option over Klein and Girardi.

I refuse to accept the fact that the RD on this team blow as a reason to play Girardi 20 minutes a night. There's no fix all solution currently on the roster but that doesn't mean you consistently deploy the worst pairings and personnel you have. Find a way to mitigate how ****** they are.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I just don't get the thinking behind "they all suck and there's no better options."

Then play the less ****** option? Why is it okay to play the absolute worst option you have 20 minutes a night on the top pair?

McDonagh - Holden
Staal - Clendening
Skjei - Girardi/Klein

Those are the best D pairings you can create out of the garbage currently on the team. I'm willing to give Girardi a chance on the 3rd pair since he was at least passable when he was paired with Skjei back in October getting 16 minutes a night. Clendening compliments Staal in that he can at least move the puck even if he may be deficient in his own zone and he brings a better presence on PP2 than Skjei. You don't want Holden on the top pair obviously but he's looked really good the past month and a half and he's the best option over Klein and Girardi.

I refuse to accept the fact that the RD on this team blow as a reason to play Girardi 20 minutes a night. There's no fix all solution currently on the roster but that doesn't mean you consistently deploy the worst pairings and personnel you have. Find a way to mitigate how ****** they are.

this is the most tilted i've seen you :laugh:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

McDonagh - Holden
Staal - Clendening
Skjei - Girardi/Klein

This x a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad