Post-Game Talk: Wild at Rangers - December 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Wild stole our wives and robbed 2 pts. And the new years wishes won`t be pretty when Flyers goes past us soon on the league table - we are barely a wild card team!

How is our PP and PK ranked now after these two games - any have the stats?

In our two last games we stopped playing hockey - are the christmas wives too demanding in NY for the team, too many babies - what is wrong when we play hockey in MSG?

And when Hank was knocked down - not 1 player stopped to check if the franchise goalie was okey, what`s wrong with the humanity!
Forget the retaliation, but what the hell, lol.

I knew Henrik had some sort of concussion/focus issues which resulted in horrible goaltending tonight, and that is my theory. :)

Last edited:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Its like this, if both Conference Wild Card teams are from same conference.
'Better 1st place team' faces 'lesser wildcard',
'lesser 1st place team' faces 'better' wild card.
So one teams crosses over.

No matter how teams finish, this is how the first 2 rounds work
From each division, 2 plays 3,
winner plays winner of "the series featuring the 1st place team from same division"
even if that series winner is wild card who had played in other division

SO, for you question,
IF best Eastern team is in Metro,
for NYR to 'cross over'
they would want to finish with the higher Wild Card spot, ie 4th in Metro

https://www.nhl.com/news/stanley-cup-playoffs-format-qualification-system/c-711015
"In the First Round, the division winner with the best record in each conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lesser record; the wild card team with the better record will play the other division winner."

Thz Cwede. So in this scenario if we had the highest WC we would play Montreal first round. I could live with that even with having to deal with Price. So let's go one step further who would than be our 2nd round opponent if we were so fortunate to get past the Habs? And in my hypothetical, Columbus would be #1 seed, Pens #2, Caps #3 with the Flyers getting the 2nd WC. And in the Atlantic it would be Montreal, Ottawa #2 seed and lets say Boston as the #3 seed.

I assume we would than play winner of Columbus vs Flyers matchup as the 2-3 in my scenario would be Pens vs Caps. Does that sound right or am I off? I tell ya it's a bit confusing unlike the way it used to be before this new playoff system was implemented.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
One of the worst games I've ever seen in person. Thanks NYR! Great job

Staal is done
Dan is done
Hank looks terrible
JT has come screaming back to Earth

For a large portion of this game our 4th line was the best line

At least Zucc came to play... Kreider was happy he did or he would be getting his share as well
Holden? Clendo? Klein? All horrific

What an embarrassing display

Metranger

May 22, 2015
That was sad to watch. Uggghhh.

Gorton has done a lot to earn an A but that is dissolving quick and he needs to refuel the team.

If not, I see a first round exit for our dear Rangers.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
The Rangers had a large advantage even with score adjustments.

There's no reason you should be outshot 17-3 in a period; doesn't matter what the score is.

There was no Ranger advantage in play until the Wild established a big lead. First period and second period were pretty even.

Third game in 4 nights on the road is as difficult as it gets in NHL hockey. The dead legs the Wild players had in the third was so obvious. They had no reason at all to do anything other than sit back and defend in the third.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
AV post game:https://www.nhl.com/rangers/video/vigneault-on-loss-to-wild/t-277443434/c-47700603 :shakehead

Skjei has played well recently - I don`t understand that decision at all while Klein get a free pass - his season is not great compare to last year.

Staal need to step up or be benched and get Skjei back into lineup, because 6 pts after 36 games. We are like 0 threat from our blueline - so our wingers need to shot more instead of passing and set up defenders for 1 shots that usually miss the net completely this season.

Ryan Mc. our captain with 2 goals is questionable as well since he play on PP and suppose to finish once in a while when Zib is injured, and Pirri can`t shot all the time in his right position on PP. I thought Pirri did well tonight, no good bounces and hit the post, but oh well.

Last edited:

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
It's just another ****ing December in Rangertown. They are too busy thinking about their upcoming Florida vacation.

Every.
****ing.
December.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Missed tonight.

But it is what it is. This team needs another defenseman and Lundqvist to be Lundqvist, which I think he will be. He was very very sharp in past 3 games before tonight.

Hope everyone here has a great Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza or whatever you celebrate!

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I was at the game and it was embarrassing. After the Pittsburgh debacle you would think they would show more pride. There are significant leadership and coaching problems with this team.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Missed tonight.

But it is what it is. This team needs another defenseman and Lundqvist to be Lundqvist, which I think he will be. He was very very sharp in past 3 games before tonight.

Hope everyone here has a great Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza or whatever you celebrate!

yeah, thanks - a normal christmas. :)
I`m worried we will get another loss on tuesday - AV and his words; "we only had 1 line tonight who played their A game" - and so many who need to step up of our players now.

Grabner is back to earth - a 4th line player with Fast and Lindberg, but they are all playing too big roles at the moment for instant.
In my opinion like some others like L. Brooks we need Glass back into his role with some grit before new year.

Last edited:

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
When everyone is healthy we need to see a massive shake up in the lines.

Kreider Stepan Zuccarello
Nash Zibanejad Buchnevich
Vesey Hayes Miller
Grabner Lindberg Fast
Pirri / Hrivik

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Granlund goal was soft for Hank, but it's not like Raanta came in and gave us a better chance. And even that Granlund goal doesn't happen if Girardi doesn't needlessly ice the puck and wind up with a faceoff in our end.

So tired of this defense getting no criticism. It's pathetic. Girardi, Staal, Klein...they're terrible. It's not even a Henrik thing. I'm fine admitting when Hank has a bad game, but it's irrelevant at this point. Two 7 goal games. Back to back. With both goalies... Who the **** cares whether Henrik played well or not. Our defense is embarrassing. Just sad to watch at this point.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its just the usual blaming the defense for the sake of blaming the defense from some people.

21 shots.

We scored 4 goals. If we score 4 goals and give up 21 shots, we should win. If we don't win a game where we scored 4 goals and gave up 21 shots, I think the main blame has to go to the goalie.

Did Hank make any saves in this game? Any notable ones? I thought every shot that was a good scoring chance went in the net.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Granlund goal was soft for Hank, but it's not like Raanta came in and gave us a better chance. And even that Granlund goal doesn't happen if Girardi doesn't needlessly ice the puck and wind up with a faceoff in our end.

So tired of this defense getting no criticism. It's pathetic. Girardi, Staal, Klein...they're terrible. It's not even a Henrik thing. I'm fine admitting when Hank has a bad game, but it's irrelevant at this point. Two 7 goal games. Back to back. With both goalies... Who the **** cares whether Henrik played well or not. Our defense is embarrassing. Just sad to watch at this point.

pretty sure this is hfnyr not msg studios

since when does the defense get no criticism

theres an entire thread dedicated to it

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There was no Ranger advantage in play until the Wild established a big lead. First period and second period were pretty even.

Third game in 4 nights on the road is as difficult as it gets in NHL hockey. The dead legs the Wild players had in the third was so obvious. They had no reason at all to do anything other than sit back and defend in the third.

Well they sat back.

"Defend" is highly debatable.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
I remember last time I was in Atlanta a couple of years back.

"What would you like to drink?"

"Hmm, I'll have a Coke."

"What type of Coke?"

"Uh, Coke."

"But what type of Coke do you want?"

"Coke Coke."

"So . . . Coca Cola . . . ?"

"Yes. Coke."

"I don't think you know what I am asking. I want to know what flavor Coke you'd like."

"I WANT COKE FLAVORED COKE."

Why does this setup not have a punchline?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Because it's so much easier to tar and feather the goalie than it is to talk about the catastrophy on the blueline.

It doesn't matter who is in net when it's Christmas in the nyr zone. Hank allowed a real softie and had a bad game, just like so many others. When half the blueline isn't even NHL calibre, how high expectations should you have? Then remove 3 important forwards, questionable coaching decisions and you're in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad