Injury Report: Wideman Out Weeks - Hamstring

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
You are giving Chris Wideman way, way, way too much credit.

The problems this team has had this season would in no way be solved by an offence-first (while curiously never breaking 17 points in a season), defensively absent 3rd pairing defenceman.
It wouldnt have changed a thing I know except sparring my eyes from watching Slowduya clowning from time to time.
But he was having a good season before the injury and I put him in front of Claesson And Slowdu in the depth chart
Its not like were having an easy time getting out of the Dzone lately

Wideman would help

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
You are giving Chris Wideman way, way, way too much credit.

The problems this team has had this season would in no way be solved by an offence-first (while curiously never breaking 17 points in a season), defensively absent 3rd pairing defenceman.
Certainly given the limited ice time he gets when he plays he wouldn't have made that much of a difference. But maybe with a bigger role on the PP and maybe using him in OT he would have more points?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Certainly given the limited ice time he gets when he plays he wouldn't have made that much of a difference. But maybe with a bigger role on the PP and maybe using him in OT he would have more points?

How many more points do you want the guy to get??? He had 8 pts in 16 games. Production was definately there, despite his limited role.

I wasn't a big fan of his, but both he and Boro were having great years before getting injured. Their 10-13 mins a night wasn't an issue at all

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It wouldnt have changed a thing I know except sparring my eyes from watching Slowduya clowning from time to time.
But he was having a good season before the injury and I put him in front of Claesson And Slowdu in the depth chart
Its not like were having an easy time getting out of the Dzone lately

Wideman would help

Look, Chris Wideman is not the reason we’ve given up the 5th most goals in the league.

Chris Wideman is not the reason 20+ guys have looked like they are playing with the drive of a bi-weekly beer league game for the majority of this season.

Having Chris Wideman in the lineup is like gaining an inch when you need a yard.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Look, Chris Wideman is not the reason we’ve given up the 5th most goals in the league.

Chris Wideman is not the reason 20+ guys have looked like they are playing with the drive of a bi-weekly beer league game for the majority of this season.

Having Chris Wideman in the lineup is like gaining an inch when you need a yard.

Sure, but an inch here, an inch there and pretty soon you are almost at a yard.

He is missed. We missed the puck moving on the bottom pair. He is defensively respectable. Not great, but not bad as some make him out. He looked better on the PP than Karlsson had looked all season, when Karl was out.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sure, but an inch here, an inch there and pretty soon you are almost at a yard.

He is missed. We missed the puck moving on the bottom pair. He is defensively respectable. Not great, but not bad as some make him out. He looked better on the PP than Karlsson had looked all season, when Karl was out.

Agreed. Not saying we'd be gangbusters with him in the lineup, but he was definitely playing well this season. Being able to get the puck out of the defensive zone with a bit more regularity and taking some pressure off the goalies can only help.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Have you been watching this season?
At the end of last year I would have said ship Wideman out.. this year after watching the tire fire in our end with players that are supposed to be more reliable.. I am very willing to give Wideman another chance.. He started the year well, but he started it well last year as well. The move up to forward in a pinch is also another positive for Wideman.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Only have two puck movers on defence and one of them gets limited minutes. Wideman in the lineup definitely helps.

He’s better than Harpur,Oduya and Boroweckie that’s for sure.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Have you been watching this season?

... I’ll be honest, that’s not the answer I was expecting to the question of “how many Widemans away are we from being good”.

I thought the first step would be to analyze exactly how large a “Wideman” is, as a unit of measurement?

I mean, it was originally meant as a rhetorical question, but if we’re taking it seriously then I feel as though we skipped some steps here.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
... I’ll be honest, that’s not the answer I was expecting to the question of “how many Widemans away are we from being good”.

I thought the first step would be to analyze exactly how large a “Wideman” is, as a unit of measurement?

I mean, it was originally meant as a rhetorical question, but if we’re taking it seriously then I feel as though we skipped some steps here.

Well, that was my facetious response to your facetious and a bit disingenuous original response. I never said we need 26 other Widemans. You did. Of course we don't. But what we do want is 26 improvements, because frankly nothing has worked this year. If we get the 26 small improvements, the whole will be much better.

Wideman has shown in the past that he is an upgrade on the bottom pairing to whatever we tried to deploy in his absence. I know you've never been his fan, but at times he's played better than Ceci. I would not mind at all if Wideman was back next year, anchoring the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: JungleBeat

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
How many more points do you want the guy to get??? He had 8 pts in 16 games. Production was definately there, despite his limited role.

I wasn't a big fan of his, but both he and Boro were having great years before getting injured. Their 10-13 mins a night wasn't an issue at all
I was replying to Bonk who was pointing out that Wideman has never had more than 17 pts in a season. Without expecting him to keep a .5 pt/game pace, I don't think it's outrageous to expect him to get 30pts over a full season with some decent PP time (more than what he usually gets). That, and 4 vs 4 and 3 vs 3 is where I wanted to see him more on the ice. I'm ok with him getting limited minutes 5 vs 5.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Have you guys seen his training Instafacetweetsnapgram videos? He's working hard. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back with Erik Condra level stamina. Ya, I went there.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

I tottally get that
All im saying is he’s an upgrade on Oduya and probably Claesson atm

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I tottally get that
All im saying is he’s an upgrade on Oduya and probably Claesson atm

That's fair. Agreed, though I like Claesson more going forward than Wideman, despite Claesson being a bit of a disappointment this season (along with 85% of the rest of the roster).

Oduya had a small handful of good games this year, but has been thoroughly brutal for the past 30+ games. I've heard he's been amazing in the dressing room, so I hope some other GM appreciates all of those elite intangibles he brings when they send us a mid-round pick for him at the deadline.

Reactions: Alex1234

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It would be nice to have him...But how is he going to look after an injury like that??My guess would be not very good

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Solid role player. He's probably our second best puck mover, well third now that Chabot seems to have gotten his spot in Ottawa.

I think we miss him a lot. When Karlsson isn't on the ice the team has a hard time getting out of it's own zone. Wideman, for all his faults, was good (not great) at exiting and breaking out.

In fact, that may be why Boucher seems intent on splitting up Chabot and Karlsson despite them working well together. We need another puck mover on the back end since Wideman went down.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's fair. Agreed, though I like Claesson more going forward than Wideman, despite Claesson being a bit of a disappointment this season (along with 85% of the rest of the roster).

Oduya had a small handful of good games this year, but has been thoroughly brutal for the past 30+ games. I've heard he's been amazing in the dressing room, so I hope some other GM appreciates all of those elite intangibles he brings when they send us a mid-round pick for him at the deadline.

Oduya should have been given the luke Richardson treatment here. Bottom pair, 6/7 guy that's great in the lockeroom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad