Why they traded Hall (article)

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Prove it. Objective stats say he's been excellent and one of the best players in the league.

prove it? go watch all his points this year yourself.

point is he's likely capitalizing well this year as far as converting chances (good or bungled). might not be the same case next year or the following. could easily be back to a 60pt player. he relies a lot on speed. the hands, skill, creativity and overall talent is just ok. having a career year. my guess is nico will be the best player on the line as early as next year.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

point is he's likely capitalizing well this year as far as converting chances (good or bungled). might not be the same case next year or the following. could easily be back to a 60pt player. he relies a lot on speed. the hands, skill, creativity and overall talent is just ok. having a career year. my guess is nico will be the best player on the line as early as next year.

Dude your out to lunch on Hall. He has always been a beast of a player. Management let him down LMAO

Talk to us in 3 years about how great McDavid is when he misses the playoffs for another 3 years "if" management gives him the Hall treatment and decides to trade Nuge, Nurse and Talbot for nothing and replace them with Devin Shore, Jack Johnson and Neuvrith

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Dude your out to lunch on Hall. He has always been a beast of a player. Management let him down LMAO

Talk to us in 3 years about how great McDavid is when he misses the playoffs for another 3 years "if" management gives him the Hall treatment and decides to trade Nuge, Nurse and Talbot for nothing and replace them with Devin Shore, Jack Johnson and Neuvrith

not sure if you're joking but regardless of making the playoffs or not there's a MASSIVE difference between connor's play here and hall's play when he was here. connor dominates play. hall cheated for offence and had spurts of open ice with his speed. he doesn't control the game. he did not have the skill and talent to constantly make good plays. his game was very overrated here.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

His sh% is 13.3, which isn't even close to being unsustainably high and his on-ice sh% is 10.8 which means he's not benefitting from his linemates getting lucky. His 5v5 p/60 is on par with many of his seasons as an Oiler and isn't even his career high. This year isn't an anomaly, he's always been this good but now actually has a competent supporting cast.

Hall has 33 more points and 16 more goals than Hischier in 5 less games. Hischiers going to need to take a hell of a step forward to be better than him next season.

I've backed up all of my claims with objective stats. Feel free to provide some evidence supporting your observations because right now nothing you've said is even remotely true.

Reactions: PGW

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
not sure if you're joking but regardless of making the playoffs or not there's a MASSIVE difference between connor's play here and hall's play when he was here. connor dominates play. hall cheated for offence and had spurts of open ice with his speed. he doesn't control the game. he did not have the skill and talent to constantly make good plays. his game was very overrated here.
Hall was an elite possession player who put up massive corsi rel numbers when he was here. To say that he didn't control the game when the Oilers had the puck in the offensive zone the majority of the time he was on the ice and got their teeth kicked in when he was off is just ridiculous.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

The Hall line produced 75% of the Oils offence those few years. No, I'm not kidding

I'm not trying to compare the players head to head, but Hall contributed to his Oil teams almost just as much a Conny

You blaming Hall for losing seasons...you might aswell blame Connor for this year also.

Same logic

Oil didn't have defence in or goaltending in Hall's time. I guess Talbot's poor play and Klef's decline and Sekera's absence are Connor's fault also. Clearly McDavid isn't doing enough as a captain and a player to offshoot the the rest of the teams play:eek:

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Lmao, trying to use "secondary assists" to downgrade Hall. Reminds me of the dumb leaf fans last season who said Matthews is better than McDavid, because McDavid got a lot of secondary assists according to them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The problem with trading Hall is long term it's made the Oilers a one line team.

And a one line team simply can't consistently make the playoffs. Look at Calgary, look at Dallas that right now is collapsing. Yes they can occasionally make the playoffs, but consistently? Nope.

You need to have two lines that can score, and by trading Hall effectively what has been done is now we have to wait for Yamamoto or Puljujarvi or our 2018 1st to develop into star tier players and that could realistically be a 2-4 year wait. Is it worth wasting several years of McDavid's career?

Not every player you're going to get is going to be an little angel for crying out loud, this is pro sports, personalities can be abrasive at times, part of being a good franchise is you learn how to manage and focus different personalities.

That's PART of running a team. A big part of it. Managing/handling/deal with personalities. You do not have the luxury of every player being a freakin boy scout.

Sorry, that's part of the challenge of being a good franchise, you can either cry and make excuses every time you get a player who is little bit more challenging to work with, or you can do what every other good team in the league does and manage that, see where you find common ground, and then reap the rewards from it.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
i just don't think it would have worked here with hall. he wasn't learning to play the right way. the organization gave him 6 years to try and "get it". let's say for the sake of argument his production and offence here was good and that his other on ice flaws (cheating for offence, irresponsible play, poor puck decisions, not playing the team concept etc et) still made him a net positive. For the sake of argument. but the off ice stuff definitely turned him to a net negative because of the way he affected his teammates and coaches etc.

on a hockey team, a player doesn't live in a bubble. the way you are as a teammate, especially if you are looked at as one of the better players, really does affect team cohesiveness etc. believe me, having to see someone that's a jerk or an a** in the room every day in the locker room can make coming to the rink a chore, sap energy and focus away from playing and geling etc. it was dysfunctional, just like it had been this year. there were problems in the room this year for us. and from what I believe the organization and todd have been trying to mend things recently.... perhaps forcing (let's say) opposing parties to play together and actually even suggesting they hang out together to mend things. a team cannot play nearly to their potential if there is a divide in the room and I strongly believe hall had caused that in his time here.

I really don't think the oilers wanted connor and drai to be emulating hall's on ice play as far as cheating for offence, fly bys and laziness defensively etc. there was some of that from both connor and drai in the past but more recently... especially connor, he has been outstanding ALL over the ice. you can see todd is trying to instill PROPER hockey, playing the right way with these guys especially in the last month or more. it shows in the effort. and I just feel they did not think hall could ever change here and didn't want connor and drai learning bad habits from him) so they made the decision and pulled the trigger.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I can tell you 100% what won't work ... trading talented players at rock bottom value for middling no.3 d-men.

That is 100% guaranteed a formula that no winning team in this league would subscribe to.

And the icing on the cake then is the GM uses $42 million dollars to go sign Lucic, who floats around the ice with zero accountability (what a great message to send) as basically part of this disaster of a deal.

Managing challenging personalities is part and parcel something good teams do. Bad teams cry about it and then go get ripped off in the trade market. Don't f***ing kid yourself about that.

This league is ruthless and if you're going to be naive and that stupid you are gonna get taken advantage of by other GMs who will gladly take talented players away from you and leave you rotting in the bottom of the league standings.

Nashville, Pittsburgh, any good franchise doesn't make a trade that stupid, they handle it a very different way, of course the Oilers under Chiarelli choose to get taken advantage of.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I can tell you 100% what won't work ... trading talented players at rock bottom value for middling no.3 d-men.

That is 100% guaranteed a formula that no winning team in this league would subscribe to.

And the icing on the cake then is the GM uses $42 million dollars to go sign Lucic, who floats around the ice with zero accountability (what a great message to send) as basically part of this disaster of a deal.

Managing challenging personalities is part and parcel something good teams do. Bad teams cry about it and then go get ripped off in the trade market. Don't ****ing kid yourself about that.

This league is ruthless and if you're going to be naive and that stupid you are gonna get taken advantage of by other GMs who will gladly take talented players away from you and leave you rotting in the bottom of the league standings.

Nashville, Pittsburgh, any good franchise doesn't make a trade that stupid, they handle it a very different way, of course the Oilers under Chiarelli choose to get taken advantage of.

Lurch Floats around the ice with zero accountability you say, Wow I guess chia did a perfect job of replacing halls "contributions" to the oilers success.

yup hall's a driver alright. cept his copper n blue racecar always got to the finish line backwards and in DFL , had the fenders smashed off it and it was usually on fire. He is the danica patrick of the nhl. fast in practice, but put him in traffic and it all goes very wrong very fast.

What did hall do better in his final season as an oiler than he did in his first? which aspect of his game developed or evolved? Can you answer this question? I can... not one damn thing

year one, bambi on ice, final year bambi on ice a stiff fart or mean look in his direction and he was flopping around on the ice. still consistently took the puck to outmanned areas and got beat
year one zero commitment to the defensive side of the game, final year yup same, still the last man back to the d zone , never deeper than a foot into his own zone, floating cheating looking for points and exposing his defense with no support.
Year one, hall is the last guy in the frame when the play transitions to the d zone, final year carbon copy.
year one, goes off the reservation when the team needs to stick with the game plan and persevere, final year. solo mission expert still not sticking to the plan.

there was NOT ONE aspect of the team game to which hall showed more commitment to in his final year here. not one single solitary thing.

if he does somehow squeak into the playoffs expect the opposition to put the body on him and hall to have an eberle level playoff performance. He'll get eaten alive at the o zone blue line. just like so many times on so many nights here. It will be an ugly hall turnover / rush gone wrong that causes the goal which sees jersey get out their golf gear. I'd bet on it.

despite all the sniveling and whining from those who think fallzy is awesome, where ten and got a shiny new hall jersey in his draft year his lack of TEAM play is the very reason he got traded and was always going to be traded. regardless of the gm that finally manned up and made the call. MacT was almost steeled enough to do it the year before. If he had the sack to match his impatience he would have made that move. but at least hallzy got us mcdavid. He was never going to hoist a cup as an oiler so the longer we chose to keep him here the longer the oil where destined to not progress.

Getting rid of hall is easily Chia's smartest move. And one that was always obvious. While there may be too much term in the lurch deal i have no doubt his skillset will again become useful when there are meaningful games to play.

But please keep crying, the tears are tasty and nourishing.

Reactions: HK97

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Lurch Floats around the ice with zero accountability you say, Wow I guess chia did a perfect job of replacing halls "contributions" to the oilers success.

yup hall's a driver alright. cept his copper n blue racecar always got to the finish line backwards and in DFL , had the fenders smashed off it and it was usually on fire. He is the danica patrick of the nhl. fast in practice, but put him in traffic and it all goes very wrong very fast.

What did hall do better in his final season as an oiler than he did in his first? which aspect of his game developed or evolved? Can you answer this question? I can... not one damn thing

year one, bambi on ice, final year bambi on ice a stiff fart or mean look in his direction and he was flopping around on the ice. still consistently took the puck to outmanned areas and got beat
year one zero commitment to the defensive side of the game, final year yup same, still the last man back to the d zone , never deeper than a foot into his own zone, floating cheating looking for points and exposing his defense with no support.
Year one, hall is the last guy in the frame when the play transitions to the d zone, final year carbon copy.
year one, goes off the reservation when the team needs to stick with the game plan and persevere, final year. solo mission expert still not sticking to the plan.

there was NOT ONE aspect of the team game to which hall showed more commitment to in his final year here. not one single solitary thing.

if he does somehow squeak into the playoffs expect the opposition to put the body on him and hall to have an eberle level playoff performance. He'll get eaten alive at the o zone blue line. just like so many times on so many nights here. It will be an ugly hall turnover / rush gone wrong that causes the goal which sees jersey get out their golf gear. I'd bet on it.

despite all the sniveling and whining from those who think fallzy is awesome, where ten and got a shiny new hall jersey in his draft year his lack of TEAM play is the very reason he got traded and was always going to be traded. regardless of the gm that finally manned up and made the call. MacT was almost steeled enough to do it the year before. If he had the sack to match his impatience he would have made that move. but at least hallzy got us mcdavid. He was never going to hoist a cup as an oiler so the longer we chose to keep him here the longer the oil where destined to not progress.

Getting rid of hall is easily Chia's smartest move. And one that was always obvious. While there may be too much term in the lurch deal i have no doubt his skillset will again become useful when there are meaningful games to play.

Uh wow

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Keep cheerleading incompetent management. By the way Lucic was useless in the playoffs.

The bottom line is McDavid is the one that has to suffer and have years of his career ruined because his moron GM gets ripped off continually and signs garbage like Lucic.

One line teams don't go anywhere, look at the same story in Calgary and Dallas and that's all this failure of a GM has built here.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

yup. this may be the harsh unforgiving way of stating how things were but a lot of it was true. people look at hall's stats and remember the occasional great rush or play but forget a fair portion of his ice time here was as you described. it was infuriating to watch. I wound up just thinking that this guy is flat out not as talented as he thinks he is and is trying to do to much with not quite the full set of tools in the toolbox and is looking foolish out there in the process. that said he was still good at putting up some decent pointage. but like I have said I think a lot of that boiled down to him being the best option for offence and getting all the best ice times and pp times and linemates etc.

also agree, macT or tambo should have smacked the stupid out of hall right from the start or should have moved him earlier. although we did get connor partly because of hall.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Whoa nelly. Laraque just threw Hallsy under the bus

Mentions rehab as a reason he had to be traded

can someone translate this more accurately than google?.....

Georges Laraque nous a rappelé il y a quelques semaines, que le Canadien avait été dans la course pour l'acquisition de Taylor Hall des Oilers, peu avant que P.K. Subban prenne le chemin de Nashville en retour de Shea Weber. (Audio ici) Ce matin dans sa chronique hebdomadaire sur les ondes de CHOI à Québec, l'animateur du 91.9 SPORTS a donné plus de précision sur les raisons qui auraient convaincu Bergevin de lever le nez sur le meilleur marqueur des Devils cette année.
«Taylor Hall avait des problèmes en dehors de la glace et il est allé en cure de désintoxication cet été là» a dévoilé Laraque, un ex-joueur des Oilers dont on ne doute pas du tout des connexions qu'il a encore avec son ancienne équipe. «Quand il est allé en cure, ben ça s'est su à travers la Ligue Nationale, fait que quand ils ont essayé de l'échanger, c'est à cause de ça...c'est un peu comme dans le cas de Kassian, quand tu échanges un gars puis la ligue le sait au complet, c'est sur que la valeur du gars elle est plus basse» a expliqué logiquement Georges.

Laraque à ensuite dévoilé qu'il y avait d'autres choses dans le cas de Hall qu'il ne pouvait dévoiler en ondes. «Il fallait absolument qu'il parte d'Edmonton» a-t-il dit en expliquant que les exploits de Hall cette année sur la glace ne le surprenait pas (33 buts 48 passes 81 points) car c'est un tout premier choix et que c'est un joueur qui était destiné à produire 1 point par match.

RadioEGO.com - Les vraies raisons pourquoi Bergevin avait levé le nez sur Taylor Hall...

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
can someone translate this more accurately than google?.....

Georges Laraque nous a rappelé il y a quelques semaines, que le Canadien avait été dans la course pour l'acquisition de Taylor Hall des Oilers, peu avant que P.K. Subban prenne le chemin de Nashville en retour de Shea Weber. (Audio ici) Ce matin dans sa chronique hebdomadaire sur les ondes de CHOI à Québec, l'animateur du 91.9 SPORTS a donné plus de précision sur les raisons qui auraient convaincu Bergevin de lever le nez sur le meilleur marqueur des Devils cette année.
«Taylor Hall avait des problèmes en dehors de la glace et il est allé en cure de désintoxication cet été là» a dévoilé Laraque, un ex-joueur des Oilers dont on ne doute pas du tout des connexions qu'il a encore avec son ancienne équipe. «Quand il est allé en cure, ben ça s'est su à travers la Ligue Nationale, fait que quand ils ont essayé de l'échanger, c'est à cause de ça...c'est un peu comme dans le cas de Kassian, quand tu échanges un gars puis la ligue le sait au complet, c'est sur que la valeur du gars elle est plus basse» a expliqué logiquement Georges.

Laraque à ensuite dévoilé qu'il y avait d'autres choses dans le cas de Hall qu'il ne pouvait dévoiler en ondes. «Il fallait absolument qu'il parte d'Edmonton» a-t-il dit en expliquant que les exploits de Hall cette année sur la glace ne le surprenait pas (33 buts 48 passes 81 points) car c'est un tout premier choix et que c'est un joueur qui était destiné à produire 1 point par match.

RadioEGO.com - Les vraies raisons pourquoi Bergevin avait levé le nez sur Taylor Hall...

French to English translation gave me this.

Georges Laraque reminded us a few weeks ago that the Canadiens had been in the running for the acquisition of Taylor Hall of the Oilers, shortly before P.K. Subban set out for Nashville in return for Shea Weber. (Audio here) This morning in his weekly column on CHOI in Quebec, the host of 91.9 SPORTS gave more details on the reasons that would have convinced Bergevin to lift the nose on the best scorer of the Devils this year. "Taylor Hall had problems off the ice and went to rehab this summer," said Laraque, an ex-Oilers player who has no doubts about the connections he still has with his old friend. team. "When he went to cure, well it was known through the National League, that when they tried to exchange it, it's because of that ... it's a bit like in the case Kassian, when you exchange a guy then the league knows it in full, it's sure that the value of the guy is lower, "explained logically Georges. Laraque then revealed that there were other things in Hall's case that he could not reveal on the air. "He absolutely had to start from Edmonton," he said, explaining that Hall's accomplishments this year on the ice did not surprise him (33 goals, 48 assists, 81 points) because it's a first-class choice and that it is a player

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
French to English translation gave me this.

Georges Laraque reminded us a few weeks ago that the Canadiens had been in the running for the acquisition of Taylor Hall of the Oilers, shortly before P.K. Subban set out for Nashville in return for Shea Weber. (Audio here) This morning in his weekly column on CHOI in Quebec, the host of 91.9 SPORTS gave more details on the reasons that would have convinced Bergevin to lift the nose on the best scorer of the Devils this year. "Taylor Hall had problems off the ice and went to rehab this summer," said Laraque, an ex-Oilers player who has no doubts about the connections he still has with his old friend. team. "When he went to cure, well it was known through the National League, that when they tried to exchange it, it's because of that ... it's a bit like in the case Kassian, when you exchange a guy then the league knows it in full, it's sure that the value of the guy is lower, "explained logically Georges. Laraque then revealed that there were other things in Hall's case that he could not reveal on the air. "He absolutely had to start from Edmonton," he said, explaining that Hall's accomplishments this year on the ice did not surprise him (33 goals, 48 assists, 81 points) because it's a first-class choice and that it is a player

ya I got the same thing but the translation is poor. for example I think when georges said "He absolutely had to start from Edmonton"... I think he may have meant he absolutely had to leave Edmonton? which is my belief if so. hall HAD to leave here for both himself and this org to move on and hopefully succeed.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Meh I knew about this stuff years ago. Coworker had 'ties' to his 'cirlce' and spilled the beans one summer ~5 years ago.

Still doesn't absolve the return

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I am not French, but to me:
Basically says that Mtl passed on a Hall + deal for Subban because Hall was in rehab at the time. Goes on to say that the low value return from NJD was because of the Hall in rehab issue.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If the organization knew about Hall's off ice issues why the hell did they let McDavid move in with him as an 18 year old?

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Keep cheerleading incompetent management. By the way Lucic was useless in the playoffs.

The bottom line is McDavid is the one that has to suffer and have years of his career ruined because his moron GM gets ripped off continually and signs garbage like Lucic.

One line teams don't go anywhere, look at the same story in Calgary and Dallas and that's all this failure of a GM has built here.

i hear lots of sniveling but you can't answer the questions

what did hall do better in his final year as an oiler vs his first?
Which part of his game evolved to make him a better team player?

Crickets...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
i hear lots of sniveling but you can't answer the questions

what did hall do better in his final year as an oiler vs his first?
Which part of his game evolved to make him a better team player?

Crickets...

Didn't he go from a 60 point player to above PPG for two full seasons?

Keep cheerleading for this incompetent GM and his wasting of McDavid.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Meh I knew about this stuff years ago. Coworker had 'ties' to his 'cirlce' and spilled the beans one summer ~5 years ago.

Still doesn't absolve the return
Ook. Well of course it does.

After last season very few people had a real issue with this trade. Larsson was a beast and as advertised from Dec onwards, including playoffs. This year he's been off, but looking alot better every time he plays after a break... i.e. we are probaly looking at an injury.

Doesn' excuse management though, I never saw the Hall/Larsson trade as abig deal but based on other moves I am still done with them, especially with the coaching...

It would have been great to get Larsson + with theplus being a good asset but if Laraque is right then I get why it didn't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad