Why they traded Hall (article)

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Meh I knew about this stuff years ago. Coworker had 'ties' to his 'cirlce' and spilled the beans one summer ~5 years ago.

Still doesn't absolve the return

I heard the same things but from more suspect sources so I did not believe he actually had a problem. if this is even true I'm not sure how people can still argue that hall was the utmost professional player in his time here. this was something I knew was definitely not true and I didn't even take into account what georges just came out with about the rehab. there was definitely more as far as I know.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I heard the same things but from more suspect sources so I did not believe he actually had a problem. if this is even true I'm not sure how people can still argue that hall was the utmost professional player in his time here. this was something I knew was definitely not true and I didn't even take into account what georges just came out with about the rehab. there was definitely more as far as I know.
So management wanted a generational player to house with such a problem like Hall? Lmao.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
So management wanted a generational player to house with such a problem like Hall? Lmao.

no, have you been paying attention, there have been people saying management was not happy about that. I also heard something similar to that. was it one of the reasons hall got moved? who knows. maybe.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
no, have you been paying attention, there have been people saying management was not happy about that. I also heard something similar to that. was it one of the reasons hall got moved? who knows. maybe.
Wanna source me or what??

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Ook. Well of course it does.

After last season very few people had a real issue with this trade. Larsson was a beast and as advertised from Dec onwards, including playoffs. This year he's been off, but looking alot better every time he plays after a break... i.e. we are probaly looking at an injury.

Doesn' excuse management though, I never saw the Hall/Larsson trade as abig deal but based on other moves I am still done with them, especially with the coaching...

It would have been great to get Larsson + with theplus being a good asset but if Laraque is right then I get why it didn't happen.

Chia just sucks at negotiating period. A GM just has to hold out and he'd be the first to bend over.

Honestly, idgaf what he does off ice. Was a bit surprised years ago but given his 'assets' around town, I'm not surprised. Not the first time a hockey player has extracurricular activities.

Have you heard of Nazem Kadri? He didn't get healthy scratched because he simply 'slept it'.

At the end of the day, what happens on the ice is what I care about and to think Hall on line 2 wouldn't help is just being stupid. This just reeks of Chia getting rid of him to put HIS stamp on the team...the same way he just tossed Seguin because of 'extracurriculars'

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Wanna source me or what??

i'll give you this one. first I definitely can't give you the source but for this tidbit the source was only so-so. There are other things I have heard and the sources are very reliable but I still wouldn't just out them.

however there have definitely been other poster (I think even in this thread, maybe a couple pages back) that have heard the same thing. but like I said, i'll give you this one as I cannot say I'm very confident in that tidbit.... but it also doesn't mean it's not absolutely true.... I didn't think the hall rehab rumor was true but now georges is saying what he's saying.... I would consider georges a slightly above avg source only though.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Didn't he go from a 60 point player to above PPG for two full seasons?

Keep cheerleading for this incompetent GM and his wasting of McDavid.

You were in full support of the Hall trade last March/April. Saying things like- the Oilers wouldn't have made the playoffs without the Hall for Larsson deal, and that Chiarelli knows how to build a winner. Will you be back on board when the team turns it around next year?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If the organization knew about Hall's off ice issues why the hell did they let McDavid move in with him as an 18 year old?
That is odd no doubt. It was one season before though and a lot can happen in a year.

I am on the record for being one of the biggest Larsson supporters, so I guess I am biased. That is for the record.

That being said, Laraque for me is trustworthy as a source. At least to my knowledge, I may be wrong about it...

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
You were in full support of the Hall trade last March/April. Saying things like- the Oilers wouldn't have made the playoffs without the Hall for Larsson deal, and that Chiarelli knows how to build a winner. Will you be back on board when the team turns it around next year?
To be fair, Larsson did have an amazing season last year from Dec to (including) playoffs. @Fourier have had some interesting points about Larsson's game in that period which was pretty eye-opening in my view.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

You can see my response to the Hall trade on the first page of that trade thread I was not in favor of it.

This is a one line team, who denies that? I don't even give a shit about one year flash in the pans. Calgary might make the playoffs next year too. Are they a good team?

This is the worst management group in pro sports. Yes pro sports. Do the Cleveland Browns have the best player in football? Nope. Only this joke of a GM can miss the playoffs by 20 points despite a career year from McDavid and that is ALL his idiotic philosophy of building this team.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You can see my response to the Hall trade on the first page of that trade thread I was not in favor of it.

This is a one line team, who denies that? I don't even give a **** about one year flash in the pans. Calgary might make the playoffs next year too. Are they a good team?

This is the worst management group in pro sports. Yes pro sports. Do the Cleveland Browns have the best player in football? Nope. Only this joke of a GM can miss the playoffs by 20 points despite a career year from McDavid and that is ALL his idiotic philosophy of building this team.

and you're somehow really sure this nj in the playoffs this year (maybe) is not a flash in the pan as well?....

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I highly doubt management would have let McDavid live with Hall if he had substance abuse issues. Laraque is a jackass and every time he spouts "insider info" about trades and stuff he's always wrong.

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
and you're somehow really sure this nj in the playoffs this year (maybe) is not a flash in the pan as well?....

I don't give a shit where they go. All I know is this joke of a GM is flushing prime McDavid years down the toilet and he's building a team here that is a pretender.

Yeah maybe next year McDavid can drag them into the playoffs like a dead corpse if Talbot can give us like 70 f***ing good starts. Oh yippie.

Worst management in professional sports.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I don't give a **** where they go. All I know is this joke of a GM is flushing prime McDavid years down the toilet and he's building a team here that is a pretender.

Yeah maybe next year McDavid can drag them into the playoffs like a dead corpse if Talbot can give us like 70 ****ing good starts. Oh yippie.

Worst management in professional sports.

yes I agree, the management is suspect here... however that doesn't mean ALL their moves were bad. hall needed to go. it may be one of the few proper moves made.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I highly doubt management would have let McDavid live with Hall if he had substance abuse issues. Laraque is a jackass and every time he spouts "insider info" about trades and stuff he's always wrong.

Management doesn't own their personal lives. It's totally true they were pissed that McD went to live with Hall over Smyth.

You just love Hall too much to admit something was wrong cuz it would weaken your Chia stance

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
yes I agree, the management is suspect here... however that doesn't mean ALL their moves were bad. hall needed to go. it may be one of the few proper moves made.

Nope stop making excuses for this garbage. This moron GM has made the three worst trades in modern NHL history and one terrible one for each summer as Oilers GM.

He is going to miss the playoffs by 20 points in a year where McDavid has career highs and Leon is scoring at an Auston Matthews rate.

This is garbage. Stop making excuses for this clown show. Worst management in pro sports and it's not even close.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Management doesn't own their personal lives. It's totally true they were pissed that McD went to live with Hall over Smyth.

You just love Hall too much to admit something was wrong cuz it would weaken your Chia stance
Substance abuse issues don't make that trade any better. Half the 80s Oilers were coked out of their minds and one of the morons in our front office actually killed someone. Competent management teams stick with their star players and don't offload them at the first sign of trouble.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm sure Hall had issues but Laraque just sounds like an Oilers mouthpiece trying to justify what is becoming a more and more terrible trade.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I'm sure Hall had issues but Laraque just sounds like an Oilers mouthpiece trying to justify what is becoming a more and more terrible trade.
This is a really bad look for the organization if true. Shipping a player out instead of ensuring he gets the help he needs is really scummy. I don't believe a word that Laraque says however.

Reactions: Little Fury

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

This. I hate the trade but I’ve heard of this years ago about Hall’s off ice stuff

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

This is a one line team, who denies that? I don't even give a **** about one year flash in the pans. Calgary might make the playoffs next year too. Are they a good team?

I wasn't talking about when the trade was made. I was talking about your feelings 12 months ago, which are in favour of the trade and Chiarelli's GM abilities. Last I checked McDavid wasn't in charge of the special teams schemes. With even middle of the pack special teams the Oilers are charging into the playoffs right now, having filled a few holes at the deadline too. So will you be back on board when different coaches get the special teams going next year or not?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is a really bad look for the organization if true. Shipping a player out instead of ensuring he gets the help he needs is really scummy. I don't believe a word that Laraque says however.
Yeah I'm sure it won't be long before stuff about Eberle comes out too.

Just need to keep putting lipstick on the pig that is the Oilers front office.

Get all of them out of here!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wasn't talking about when the trade was made. I was talking about your feelings 12 months ago, which are in favour of the trade and Chiarelli's GM abilities. Last I checked McDavid wasn't in charge of the special teams schemes. With even middle of the pack special teams the Oilers are charging into the playoffs right now, having filled a few holes at the deadline too. So will you be back on board when different coaches get the special teams going next year or not?

I will be fully "on board" when McDavid has a legit team to play with, not this group of pretenders that are helmed by the worst manager in the world.

Yes maybe McDavid can drag them to a playoff berth, and for his sake I hope he does.

That doesn't excuse a management team that has probably sewered his chances for a Cup in the early portion of his career because they can't negototiate a trade or contract to save their lives.

McDavid doesn't get the same chance Crosby and Kane got early on because our manager is incompetent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad