Why isn't Matthews signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Because I'm a fan! That's why it's my business to know. Because the fans are the ones putting up the money and time that keeps the business going.

What a ridiculous claim.

So by your logic if you are a customer at a store or of a company you should have the right to know about their salary structure and negotiations? Give your head a shake.

Tell you what - the next time you shop at The Bay, Sobey's, or wherever try speaking to the store manager and demand that you be told their salary structure, etc. Tell them that, as a customer, you have a right to know. Go ahead and try it, see how far that gets you.

The Leafs are a private company and their internal maneuverings are absolutely none of your business.

Especially because we are fans of a team that has decades of history undeserving of the fandom it currently enjoys. Lou Lam has a job because we as fans make it our business to care about what goes on. Despite the overwhelming track record that we shouldn't.

If you don't like it go cheer for another team.

I have a right to know what happened to the RFA's that we all were around for and sold hope in long before Lou ever got here.

No, you really don't. And for you to think that you do demonstrates either arrogance or stupidity. Or both.

This mgmt may not be on the hook for what's happened in the past, but they represent the team that is.

So?

Why am I waiting hours only for no official word on players who we came to watch and cheer for during an incredibly ****** year. We put up with a ton of **** last year, and they have me waiting to see if Josh Leivo and Connor Carrick made the cut. Then don't even inform us as much???

:facepalm:

This team should be thanking God most leaf fans don't and haven't come to their senses about rights and obligations in regards to the team they choose to cheer for.

Since when do fans, who choose to cheer for a particular team, have rights and obligations? And I'm not entirely sure you even know what 'obligations' means.

I stand behind everthing they've done and been their biggest proponent but when it boils down, they haven't done **** except a year where they lost more than anyone else. Everything else they've done has yet to be seen. Anderson could be a great deal, or he may join his predecessors in Toskala and Bernier. Matt Martin could be the best signing, or they just gave 4 years to another Clarkson. They may be draft geniuses or they just blew two drafts.

:huh:

I feel we as fans have the right to know things because it is those things that keep us sticking around and keep us pouring more time and money into the team.

You stick around because of contract details? Most fans stick around because they like the team, want to see it do well, and enjoy supporting them. You have a pretty strange version of what it is that keeps fans sticking around and other than fantasy manager types who would be into contract details, etc. I doubt many others share your idea of why fans stick around.

Why is Lou Lam breaking trades?

You don't think the GM should report on trades, especially ones that were likely completed moments before he met the press?

Leafs PR should be announcing it as soon as it's done.

Or the GM can do it as soon as it is done. The Leafs PR team probably didn't even get the info between the time that the trade was completed and when Lou met the media.

And speaking as someone trained in PR, announcing trades for a professional sports organization isn't their job, that is management's job.

The reason I worry about little things like this is because I'm getting the sense they want the spotlight. They want the focus on them and to keep us dependent on them.

I worry because we see what happens when egos get too big because they've been give a position of authority and the spotlight in the biggest hockey market. You don't want to give answers then stay out of the spotlight. Getting in front of the camera only to not answer half the questions causes me concern with egos.

Last edited:

Mad Brills*

I feel we as fans have the right to know things because it is those things that keep us sticking around and keep us pouring more time and money into the team.

Not going to go into the psychology of fans, but time > money for some people.

I haven't given them a cent in years, but time is important, and I would like to know this stuff.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Because I'm a fan! That's why it's my business to know. Because the fans are the ones putting up the money and time that keeps the business going.

Especially because we are fans of a team that has decades of history undeserving of the fandom it currently enjoys. Lou Lam has a job because we as fans make it our business to care about what goes on. Despite the overwhelming track record that we shouldn't.

I have a right to know what happened to the RFA's that we all were around for and sold hope in long before Lou ever got here.

This mgmt may not be on the hook for what's happened in the past, but they represent the team that is.

Why am I waiting hours only for no official word on players who we came to watch and cheer for during an incredibly ****** year. We put up with a ton of **** last year, and they have me waiting to see if Josh Leivo and Connor Carrick made the cut. Then don't even inform us as much???

This team should be thanking God most leaf fans don't and haven't come to their senses about rights and obligations in regards to the team they choose to cheer for.

I stand behind everthing they've done and been their biggest proponent but when it boils down, they haven't done **** except a year where they lost more than anyone else. Everything else they've done has yet to be seen. Anderson could be a great deal, or he may join his predecessors in Toskala and Bernier. Matt Martin could be the best signing, or they just gave 4 years to another Clarkson. They may be draft geniuses or they just blew two drafts.

Why is Lou Lam breaking trades? Leafs PR should be announcing it as soon as it's done. The reason I worry about little things like this is because I'm getting the sense they want the spotlight. They want the focus on them and to keep us dependent on them. I worry because we see what happens when egos get too big because they've been give a position of authority and the spotlight in the biggest hockey market. You don't want to give answers then stay out of the spotlight. Getting in front of the camera only to not answer half the questions causes me concern with egos.

"You have a right to know" bla bla bla. Tell you what Mr. Rights why dont you go on down to the MLSE office and bust down those doors and start your little protest there. Save the rest of us who havent **** the bed over this, the time to read your moaning and groaning.

Let us know how fast security throws you out.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City

Why is Lou Lam breaking trades? Leafs PR should be announcing it as soon as it's done. The reason I worry about little things like this is because I'm getting the sense they want the spotlight. They want the focus on them and to keep us dependent on them. I worry because we see what happens when egos get too big because they've been give a position of authority and the spotlight in the biggest hockey market. You don't want to give answers then stay out of the spotlight. Getting in front of the camera only to not answer half the questions causes me concern with egos.

#Generation Entitlement

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
What a ridiculous claim.

So by your logic if you are a customer at a store or of a company you should have the right to know about their salary structure and negotiations? Give your head a shake.

Tell you what - the next time you shop at The Bay, Sobey's, or wherever try speaking to the store manager and demand that you be told their salary structure, etc. Tell them that, as a customer, you have a right to know. Go ahead and try it, see how far that gets you.

The Leafs are a private company and their internal maneuverings are absolutely none of your business.

If you don't like it go cheer for another team.

No, you really don't. And for you to think that you do demonstrates either arrogance or stupidity. Or both.

So?

Since when do fans, who choose to cheer for a particular team, have rights and obligations? And I'm not entirely sure you even know what 'obligations' means.

You stick around because of contract details? Most fans stick around because they like the team, want to see it do well, and enjoy supporting them. You have a pretty strange version of what it is that keeps fans sticking around and other than fantasy manager types who would be into contract details, etc. I doubt many others share your idea of why fans stick around.

You don't think the GM should report on trades, especially ones that were likely completed moments before he met the press?

Or the GM can do it as soon as it is done. The Leafs PR team probably didn't even get the info between the time that the trade was completed and when Lou met the media.

And speaking as someone trained in PR, announcing trades for a professional sports organization isn't their job, that is management's job.

Actually MLSE is a private company, the Leafs are a publicly presented product and brand of MLSE.

Go into the a store and see if they don't provide you with pricing, promotions, ingredients, product information, etc etc.

Do you just blindly take a product with no information and pay whatever amount pops up on the cash register??

And no I don't think GM's should be breaking trades. Lou Lam was at the Leafs development camp watching. So he didn't break the trade as soon as it was done. He decided we can all wait and he'll do it later.

I do stick around partially because of contract details. Contract details can tell you alot about the direction of the team. We've all seen what happens when mgmt is not cautious of contract details, and we end up watching ****** hockey for a decade.

I don't believe fans have actual rights, but I believe this fanbase has earned the right to be informed. I'm not saying more so than any other but at least on par with any other.

It's true I haven't really earned the right to anything. But that goes both ways.

They requested fan patience, they got it in strides. They certainly haven't earned it yet were granted it.

They requested loyalty, they got that too! More so than almost any other team in professional sports.

They requested us to believe in the plan, I do and will remain believing in it as do the vast majority of other fans.

And I feel the team is obliged to return certain favours granted to them by their fanbase.

When given patience, don't test it. When given loyalty, don't take it for granted. When given trust in the plan, share it when possible and appropriate.

I think being a fan of this team dictates that you be loyal, but not a sheep. You buy the hope they are selling but do so cautiously. You give them the benefit of the doubt in their strategy but not do so blindly.

You want to dive headfirst into the new pool of kool-aid, go for it. but don't blame other fans who aren't as quick to join you due to a repeated and long history of other people selling the same ****.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
#mlsesheeple

LOL so because I'm not throwing a childish tantrum just a couple of weeks after the draft, I'm now blindly following them am I?

You aren't entitled to any of that other than the product they put on the ice be it good or bad. It's up to you to decide if you want to spend your money on that product. How they conduct their negotiations with their employees is none of your business. Crying about it isn't going to change that fact.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Actually MLSE is a private company, the Leafs are a publicly presented product and brand of MLSE.

A distinction without a difference for the purposes of this discussion. I wasn't even sure you understood the difference between public and private and didn't want to complicate things.

Go into the a store and see if they don't provide you with pricing, promotions, ingredients, product information, etc etc.

The Leafs do that. What they do not do is provide you with information on their salary negotiations and stores wouldn't either.

Do you just blindly take a product with no information and pay whatever amount pops up on the cash register??

Often, yes. How much information does one need to buy milk, bread, jeans, soap, etc.?

And no I don't think GM's should be breaking trades.

:laugh:

Lou Lam was at the Leafs development camp watching. So he didn't break the trade as soon as it was done. He decided we can all wait and he'll do it later.

So being at the development camp means that he wasn't involved? Of course he was, and he announced it when the deal was done. But even if they had waited (hours, days, weeks, doesn't matter) that is their business, not yours.

I do stick around partially because of contract details.

Then you need professional help.

Contract details can tell you alot about the direction of the team.

While that is true (the first true thing you've said), we do not have a right to know about contract negotiations as they are ongoing. We can be told the details later, but we have no right to information while talks are ongoing.

I don't believe fans have actual rights, but I believe this fanbase has earned the right to be informed.

No, they don't.

I'm not saying more so than any other but at least on par with any other.

Um yes, you are.

It's true I haven't really earned the right to anything. But that goes both ways.

No, it really doesn't.

They requested fan patience, they got it in strides. They certainly haven't earned it yet were granted it.

They didn't impose patience, fans granted them that. As such, it was a decision made by individual fans. That decision does not earn those fans a right to know about contract negotiations.

They requested loyalty, they got that too!

So what?

More so than almost any other team in professional sports.

Try telling that to Cubs and Red Sox fans.

And I feel the team is obliged to return certain favours granted to them by their fanbase.

Then you have a warped view of the obligations that a team has to its fans.

When given patience, don't test it. When given loyalty, don't take it for granted. When given trust in the plan, share it when possible and appropriate.

Your argument is so royally screwed up that you don't even realize that in the bolded and italicized text above you completely contradicted everything else you have been saying.

I think being a fan of this team dictates that you be loyal, but not a sheep. You buy the hope they are selling but do so cautiously. You give them the benefit of the doubt in their strategy but not do so blindly.

None of which has anything at all to do with your warped belief that you have some sort of right to a constant flow of information, especially about private details such as contract negotiations.

You want to dive headfirst into the new pool of kool-aid, go for it. but don't blame other fans who aren't as quick to join you due to a repeated and long history of other people selling the same ****.

Again, this has nothing whatsoever to do with your warped belief that you have some sort of right to access to information. But since you don't even realize that you contradicted yourself above, I am not at all surprised by these irrelevant statements.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
LOL so because I'm not throwing a childish tantrum just a couple of weeks after the draft, I'm now blindly following them am I?

You aren't entitled to any of that other than the product they put on the ice be it good or bad. It's up to you to decide if you want to spend your money on that product. How they conduct their negotiations with their employees is none of your business. Crying about it isn't going to change that fact.

No, because someone doesn't agree with your way of thinking you personally attack them by calling them "entitled" then suggesting they're throwing a tantrum or crying.

What about my responses suggests a tantrum or crying.

I simply stated a case that current leafs mgmt is not as up to par with the "reciprocity" as other teams or compared to the reciprocity awarded to them by their fanbase.

A person can't question mgmt without it being labelled crying or a tantrum?

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
A distinction without a difference for the purposes of this discussion. I wasn't even sure you understood the difference between public and private and didn't want to complicate things.

The Leafs do that. What they do not do is provide you with information on their salary negotiations and stores wouldn't either.

Often, yes. How much information does one need to buy milk, bread, jeans, soap, etc.?

:laugh:

So being at the development camp means that he wasn't involved? Of course he was, and he announced it when the deal was done. But even if they had waited (hours, days, weeks, doesn't matter) that is their business, not yours.

Then you need professional help.

While that is true (the first true thing you've said), we do not have a right to know about contract negotiations as they are ongoing. We can be told the details later, but we have no right to information while talks are ongoing.

No, they don't.

Um yes, you are.

No, it really doesn't.

They didn't impose patience, fans granted them that. As such, it was a decision made by individual fans. That decision does not earn those fans a right to know about contract negotiations.

So what?

Try telling that to Cubs and Red Sox fans.

Then you have a warped view of the obligations that a team has to its fans.

Your argument is so royally screwed up that you don't even realize that in the bolded and italicized text above you completely contradicted everything else you have been saying.

None of which has anything at all to do with your warped belief that you have some sort of right to a constant flow of information, especially about private details such as contract negotiations.

Again, this has nothing whatsoever to do with your warped belief that you have some sort of right to access to information. But since you don't even realize that you contradicted yourself above, I am not at all surprised by these irrelevant statements.

I didn't contradict myself at all. You put words in my mouth then state I contradicted myself.

I never said they had to share the details of ongoing negotiations. I said the negotiations should be long over and a reason as to why they are not should be shared. I don't expect all the details, nor do I even want them.

What I want is Matthews to have been signed like every other draftee was. Or if Lou Lam has reasons why they have to wait, share those.

"We are talking with Matthew's camp and have explained to them that while we will have a contract in place long before camp. There are priorities within the roster that have to be addressed first before we can complete with those negotiations." Great!! We know the Leafs have some roster moves still to make and once those are done Matthews can be signed. Everyone is happy!

I also think it is fair that if Lou Lam is so quick with breaking trades as you stated, then he should be as quick to announce which RFA's have been qualified.
- You contradict yourself! You state he should be the one announcing trades but say he should not be anouncing RFA signings??? which is it.

As for sharing the plan when appropriate, a short time after the RFA qualification window is appropriate. HE didn't share.

But we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to debate with someone that assumes they're some intellectual superior and that other people are too simple minded to know the difference between a public/private company.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
You have absolutely no idea why he isn't signed yet or what affect, if any at all, that will have on him or others in the future. Absolutely no idea.

You are right. Maybe professional hockey players are not upset by employers who do this stuff. In the business world such dealings would cause friction normally.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I heard he can't back-check because his stomach is too sore from eating too many hot-dogs. And when he plays net during pick-up hockey games, every puck goes five-hole! He's going to be a dressing-room cancer! Trade him to Arizona while we can!

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
So Summer on HF has officially started Oh how fun.

I never realized how crazy some of these people are it's incredible.
The thing is he'll probably be signed within a month anyway. Whatll they whine about then? Back to lou not letting them pick jersey #s? He's a dinosaur.... :help:

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
The thing is he'll probably be signed within a month anyway. Whatll they whine about then? Back to lou not letting them pick jersey #s? He's a dinosaur.... :help:

At least us "crazy" people are here talking hockey and not talking about other posters.

Thought this was a hockey discussion forum, not a insult and discuss other posters forum.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
No, because someone doesn't agree with your way of thinking you personally attack them by calling them "entitled" then suggesting they're throwing a tantrum or crying.

What about my responses suggests a tantrum or crying.

Everything.

I simply stated a case that current leafs mgmt is not as up to par with the "reciprocity" as other teams or compared to the reciprocity awarded to them by their fanbase.

And your case was ridiculous.

A person can't question mgmt without it being labelled crying or a tantrum?

People are more than free to question management. You are not being accused of crying and throwing a tantrum because you questioned management, you are being accused of crying and throwing a tantrum because you are doing that, and over a ridiculous issue no less.

I didn't contradict myself at all. You put words in my mouth then state I contradicted myself.

No, I did not put words in your mouth. I merely highlighted your own words and pointed out that you were contradicting yourself. Everyone else here can see that, why can't you?

You contradicted yourself, which demonstrates how ridiculous your argument is, and you need to own that.

I never said they had to share the details of ongoing negotiations.

Yes, you did. You demanded info on internal player issues.

What I want is Matthews to have been signed like every other draftee was.

Every other draftee hasn't been signed.

Or if Lou Lam has reasons why they have to wait, share those.

In other words, you want info on negotiations. There you go contradicting yourself again.

"We are talking with Matthew's camp and have explained to them that while we will have a contract in place long before camp. There are priorities within the roster that have to be addressed first before we can complete with those negotiations." Great!! We know the Leafs have some roster moves still to make and once those are done Matthews can be signed. Everyone is happy!

The overwhelming majority of people are happy. It is only a vocal minority like yourself that is creating an issue out of nothing.

I also think it is fair that if Lou Lam is so quick with breaking trades as you stated, then he should be as quick to announce which RFA's have been qualified.

What they do and why they do it is none of your business. He broke the trade because it had just been completed and he had a scheduled media conference so he announced it there rather than waiting. You demand info but also complain about info being given out immediately. You are all over the place and are continually contradicting yourself, wich you just did yet again. Maybe if you actually had a viable position and a well considered, reasoned argument you wouldn't keep contradicting yourself.

You contradict yourself! You state he should be the one announcing trades but say he should not be anouncing RFA signings??? which is it.

At no point did I contradict myself. I said he should announce trades because he is the GM but that internal negotiations and issues of player movement, compensation, etc. are none of anybody's business. Those positions are not contradictory. Maybe if you understood the definition of 'contradictory' you would be able to see that and, more importantly, would stop contradicting yourself.

As for sharing the plan when appropriate, a short time after the RFA qualification window is appropriate. HE didn't share.

That is an internal matter that he is under no obligation to share so stop crying about it.

I'm not going to debate with someone that assumes they're some intellectual superior and that other people are too simple minded to know the difference between a public/private company.

That is about the only thing you have gotten right in this entire argument. And I am not assuming I am intellectually superior, I came to that conclusion based on the ridiculous, contradictory nature of your tantrum, how easily it was refuted (by several people), and how unable you are to understand or accept that.

I am actually starting to wonder if you are, in fact, a troll who is merely parodying some of the ridiculousness that Leafs fans sometimes get up to because surely nobody could really hold a position as idiotic as yours nor think that they had actually supported that position with arguments as incoherent and contradictory as the ones you have put forth.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I never said they had to share the details of ongoing negotiations. I said the negotiations should be long over and a reason as to why they are not should be shared. I don't expect all the details, nor do I even want them.

What I want is Matthews to have been signed like every other draftee was. Or if Lou Lam has reasons why they have to wait, share those.

- You contradict yourself! You state he should be the one announcing trades but say he should not be anouncing RFA signings??? which is it.

But we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to debate with someone that assumes they're some intellectual superior and that other people are too simple minded to know the difference between a public/private company.

So, have all other 29 draft picks in the first round been tendered a contract yet? Because if not. then not ever other draftee has been signed.

Lamoriello does not have to share 1 iota of why he hasn't signed Matthews yet with you. You don't have to air everything in public. It's not a power struggle, it's not ego - it's keeping what needs to be in house, in house. As everyone has stated before - there have some (recent) 1st ova's who didn't sign until deep into the summer. Ekblad didn't sign until September. the last 4 Leafs high end prospects (didn't sign until the end of July minimum). I don't remember any threads popping up demanding that JFJ, Burke, and Nonis explain themselves and tell us why they haven't signed on the dotted line yet.

You should be intelligent enough as a fan to realise what is going on without having to be hand-held by Leafs management and explain why some things are done first. I don't need Lou to tell me that there are other priorities to deal with first and foremost before signing their draft pick. it's there. it's obvious. And despite your "but we have a right to know." both Shanahan + Lamoriello said they are talking, but they don't want to discuss further than that, per policy. They don't want to talk through every blessed thing through the media. Look at how many times players here have had their negotiations or contract talks dragged out in public. that backwashes onto the the player. the leafs want to create a safe environment. This is part of it.

You get mad that Lou broke a trade and they shouldn't do that. (what?). Lou literally just finished the trade. before he went down and talked to the media. did you expect him to call Leafs PR, wait 10-15 minutes for PR to tweet about it, and let the reporters get that information, and then go down and talk to them? Or does it not make more sense for Lou to do what he did - finish the transaction, go to the media, and give them something else to talk about and be available for that?

And in that little transaction, you could easily pick up the reason why the Leafs didn't announce whom they QD'd. Lou probably called players to let them know they aren't part of the organization. That. would generally take a while. (and it doesn't seem like to me that Lou would also want them reading it online before they've been talked to).He said that he called Bernier twice (once to announce the trade), and then again to make sure he digested it and was okay with everything.

And you ultimately found out anyway. so what exactly is the glitch? they weren't hiding it forever, it was going to be public knowledge?

There are a lot of things that the internet has provided (thanks general fanager, and trade tracker, and everything) that gives us all the pertinent information. But that doesn't mean every organization spills their cookies in regards to that information. as I've said I know of only two GMs who literally has full disclosure like you want. And generally speaking - those two are laughed at. Hard. Just like we were laughed at when Burke banged his chest and always needed to have a quote-moment, and Nonis basically sat there and discussed everything he was doing so you could literally predict deals and knew why it wouldn't work.

A wise man doens't show his hand, until it's time to reveal, and a wiser man doesn't tell his techniques so the opponent know how to prepare for next time. It's not ego. It's not a power trip. It's having respect for the people involved to have the reasons of things withheld (both during and after). It's not giving information out unnecessarily. You spoke about having rights and needing to know. You don't need to know. You want to know. There is a significant difference. Knowing at 10am the day after QD vs. 4:00pm the day of QD doesn't change the situation, or the fact you know. it's just when you knew.

They don't "want" the spotlight at all. That's why you can count on one hand how many times Shanahan is seen or speaks about the Organization, and the only time Lou speaks are like times like these. They come out they explain a trade, or a massive situation, and then they do what you want. Let the PR do it.

Matthews will sign his contract.
he'll get everything he's entitled to.
and it will be done when it's ready to be done.

that's really all anyone needs to know.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
You are right. Maybe professional hockey players are not upset by employers who do this stuff. In the business world such dealings would cause friction normally.

So in the business world people don't stick to their guns and drive hard bargains? Do they just give others what they want?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Well there is always his facial hair policy that seems to have some people all up in arms.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

:laugh: i promised a friend i won't discuss jersey numbers any more. so i can't comment on that.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
So, have all other 29 draft picks in the first round been tendered a contract yet? Because if not. then not ever other draftee has been signed.

Lamoriello does not have to share 1 iota of why he hasn't signed Matthews yet with you. You don't have to air everything in public. It's not a power struggle, it's not ego - it's keeping what needs to be in house, in house. As everyone has stated before - there have some (recent) 1st ova's who didn't sign until deep into the summer. Ekblad didn't sign until September. the last 4 Leafs high end prospects (didn't sign until the end of July minimum). I don't remember any threads popping up demanding that JFJ, Burke, and Nonis explain themselves and tell us why they haven't signed on the dotted line yet.

You should be intelligent enough as a fan to realise what is going on without having to be hand-held by Leafs management and explain why some things are done first. I don't need Lou to tell me that there are other priorities to deal with first and foremost before signing their draft pick. it's there. it's obvious. And despite your "but we have a right to know." both Shanahan + Lamoriello said they are talking, but they don't want to discuss further than that, per policy. They don't want to talk through every blessed thing through the media. Look at how many times players here have had their negotiations or contract talks dragged out in public. that backwashes onto the the player. the leafs want to create a safe environment. This is part of it.

You get mad that Lou broke a trade and they shouldn't do that. (what?). Lou literally just finished the trade. before he went down and talked to the media. did you expect him to call Leafs PR, wait 10-15 minutes for PR to tweet about it, and let the reporters get that information, and then go down and talk to them? Or does it not make more sense for Lou to do what he did - finish the transaction, go to the media, and give them something else to talk about and be available for that?

And in that little transaction, you could easily pick up the reason why the Leafs didn't announce whom they QD'd. Lou probably called players to let them know they aren't part of the organization. That. would generally take a while. (and it doesn't seem like to me that Lou would also want them reading it online before they've been talked to).He said that he called Bernier twice (once to announce the trade), and then again to make sure he digested it and was okay with everything.

And you ultimately found out anyway. so what exactly is the glitch? they weren't hiding it forever, it was going to be public knowledge?

There are a lot of things that the internet has provided (thanks general fanager, and trade tracker, and everything) that gives us all the pertinent information. But that doesn't mean every organization spills their cookies in regards to that information. as I've said I know of only two GMs who literally has full disclosure like you want. And generally speaking - those two are laughed at. Hard. Just like we were laughed at when Burke banged his chest and always needed to have a quote-moment, and Nonis basically sat there and discussed everything he was doing so you could literally predict deals and knew why it wouldn't work.

A wise man doens't show his hand, until it's time to reveal, and a wiser man doesn't tell his techniques so the opponent know how to prepare for next time. It's not ego. It's not a power trip. It's having respect for the people involved to have the reasons of things withheld (both during and after). It's not giving information out unnecessarily. You spoke about having rights and needing to know. You don't need to know. You want to know. There is a significant difference. Knowing at 10am the day after QD vs. 4:00pm the day of QD doesn't change the situation, or the fact you know. it's just when you knew.

They don't "want" the spotlight at all. That's why you can count on one hand how many times Shanahan is seen or speaks about the Organization, and the only time Lou speaks are like times like these. They come out they explain a trade, or a massive situation, and then they do what you want. Let the PR do it.

Excellent post.

With regards to the section that I bolded above - I guran-freaking-tee you that had Lou done that this other guy would be crying and throwing a tantrum over the 15 minute delay. It would show contempt for the fans. Or something.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008

A wise man doens't show his hand, until it's time to reveal, and a wiser man doesn't tell his techniques so the opponent[/B] know how to prepare for next time. It's not ego. It's not a power trip. It's having respect for the people involved to have the reasons of things withheld (both during and after). It's not giving information out unnecessarily. You spoke about having rights and needing to know. You don't need to know. You want to know. There is a significant difference. Knowing at 10am the day after QD vs. 4:00pm the day of QD doesn't change the situation, or the fact you know. it's just when you knew.

Seems to me that you keep pointing out how Lou Lam does the absolute bare minimum when it comes to fan relations and keeping us informed.. That in case, is my point! Thanks for illustrating it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Seems to me that you keep pointing out how Lou Lam does the absolute bare minimum when it comes to fan relations and keeping us informed.. That in case, is my point! Thanks for illustrating it.

Please tell me how often Stan Bowman goes out and tells the fans anything.
or Ken Holland.
Or Dean Lombardi.

go on. I'll wait.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

You're a troll, you have to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad