Why isn't Matthews signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Brills*

He'll be signed, but come in 2019, hopefully he doesn't play hardball, when he asks for 7+ million.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
For me, I care more about the fact that there is no reason he shouldn't be signed and mgmt won't tell us anything about why?

If there is a good reason, then certainly, I have no problem with the fact. All the other draftees being signed, and mgmt refusing to tell us why Matthews isn't is the problem.

Exact same scenario with the RFA's. All other fanbase's were told, yet likely the most deserving fanbase of all was not. We got second-hand accounts from a twitter feed hours after the deadline???

I'm sure Matthews hates the fans that want him signed to the max contract. Gotta hate those people that want you to get paid.

Why does management have to tell you anything. The fact this management team keeps everything to themselves is actually a good thing. It stops the stupid rumours from floating around. (although obviously not because here we are again)

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Being drafted by Toronto has cost him a lot of extra $ in taxes. To rub salt in the wound by claiming poor -goodness me we have our internal budget and cannot possibly sign you now-(just put the sweater on and play but try not to get hurt since you do not have a contract)-and not signing him with maximum bonuses can only cause problems down the road with him and with other highly talented FAs. But the Leaf brass is certainly showing who is boss with the current whip hand.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
It's almost as if Lou purposely goes out of his way to show his power and do things against the grain. He doesn't release the names of qualified RFA's with everyone else, he doesn't release the Bernier trade details and still no word on conditions. He barely gives any information in interviews/pressers. For a team that requires a lot of patience from its fan base, they do very little to reciprocate.

Ya I also stand behind our management and their strategies. I'll back them up blindly until I have a reason not to but this total lack of information to the fan base....especially on things that are already done and can't affect anything....is super annoying. I can see how some look at it as almost disrespectful. We are a super passionate fan base....give us stuff to chew on or we'll create threads like this one!!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The paranoia comes from the fact that even though he says the right things in interviews, even though he says hes proud to be a leaf, we all know the last thing he wanted to do was come to play for a canadian franchise. Especially as one as desperate as we are. Its written all over his face in every interview. Of course hes gonna say all the right things about the leafs, hes required too. Im sure he doesnt want to be lindros 2.0. Will he sign his elc here? Sure, he ll be a "good
American boy" and play for us. Will he be running to the states the moment hes a ufa though? Id put money on it. Just my honest opinion.

You never know with that. Kessel signed here for 8m which was fair at the time of signing. Oddly the people chased him out along with the media and even then, the team pulled the trigger. Anyways I worry about anyone involved in hockey around the GTA because of the fans. It gets pretty borderline around here and tbh. We have some of the absolute worst sports reporters in the world. These people are dispiccable! They blatantly write to cause controversy and play on the passionate fan. I wish Lou would revoke access to any media type that writes one of these articles.

Ps. There were 3 better choices than Mathews on the board and we picked him anyways.

See what I did there? Sad

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Only this board could find misery in a first overall pick

It's ridiculous. Are people this starved for drama that this is the level we're stooping to?

No wonder this management gives nothing. Just look at how everyone acted when the media threw our names in as being contenders for Russel. Leafs didn't even offer for years but the media ran with it anyway.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
He needs to be signed now. The season is like... in 2 months.

So... you're saying that this isn't some sort of a crisis?

Sometimes it is truly "too much" to be a Leafs fan living in the GTA. The tiniest minutiae is analyzed and re-analyzed endlessly by "experts" and fans alike. I'm surprised that we haven't had a thread started for "Terror in Leafland... team down to one serviceable goaltender"... but I'm sure that it's coming soon.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Stamkos didn't sign his ELC until July 29 of 2008. Clearly he hated the fact that he was drafted by Tampa and couldn't wait to bolt to Toronto... Oh.

Tavares signed his July 15th 2009.

Yakupov July 23rd 2013.

Ekblad signed September 7th 2014

To go along with this list, the Leafs usually sign their first rounders to ELC's relatively late, as pointed out by Daisy, but I'll quote it again for good measure.

Luke Schenn: October 8th, 2008
Morgan Rielly: August 3rd 2012
William Nylander: August 18th 2014
Mitch Marner: July 28th, 2015

but yes, Auston Matthews not signed July 9th, is terms to freak out.

I mean - honestly. I know some of us are crazy, some of us are insane, but I never thought I'd see the day when some of us got paranoid. When the heck did that happen?

In short, quit jumping off a bridge and creating drama where there is none. Calm down and just enjoy the young talent this team has accumulated over the past few years.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Stamkos didn't sign his ELC until July 29 of 2008. Clearly he hated the fact that he was drafted by Tampa and couldn't wait to bolt to Toronto... Oh.

Stamkos is going to win there in TB and if still good enough to warrant the trade, will be moved to Toronto. They will retain on him if need be and Toronto will use Stamkos like Hossa. Ps. I bet Stamkos has regrets about leaving money on the table and not coming back.

I think Mathews will get drunk off the rock star status he gets here when we are winning.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
For everyone that is not a paranoid drama queen -
What is your favourite:
Pizza place, pizza toppings as well as side dish (such as wings or garlic toast, maybe a salad for those who like to bm regularly)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Tavares signed his July 15th 2009.

Yakupov July 23rd 2013.

Ekblad signed September 7th 2014

To go along with this list, the Leafs usually sign their first rounders to ELC's relatively late, as pointed out by Daisy, but I'll quote it again for good measure.

In short, quit jumping off a bridge and creating drama where there is none. Calm down and just enjoy the young talent this team has accumulated over the past few years.

honestly, this is such a "well I want it my way, and I want it now." attitude. just go outside, ride a bike, go for a swim, or something. it will get done.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The paranoia comes from the fact that even though he says the right things in interviews, even though he says hes proud to be a leaf, we all know the last thing he wanted to do was come to play for a canadian franchise. Especially as one as desperate as we are. Its written all over his face in every interview. Of course hes gonna say all the right things about the leafs, hes required too. Im sure he doesnt want to be lindros 2.0. Will he sign his elc here? Sure, he ll be a "good
American boy" and play for us. Will he be running to the states the moment hes a ufa though? Id put money on it. Just my honest opinion.

90+ % of the players in this league don't get to ever Plato r their childhood favourite teams. They get over it.

You'd think the Stamkos situation would show the idea that most high valued UFAs want to bolt to their hometowns is a pipe dream.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
For me, I care more about the fact that there is no reason he shouldn't be signed and mgmt won't tell us anything about why?

How is anyone else's employment negotiation any of your business?

Exact same scenario with the RFA's. All other fanbase's were told, yet likely the most deserving fanbase of all was not. We got second-hand accounts from a twitter feed hours after the deadline???

What makes you think you have any right to know? Since when are Leafs' management under any obligation to explain their business to you?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Being drafted by Toronto has cost him a lot of extra $ in taxes. To rub salt in the wound by claiming poor -goodness me we have our internal budget and cannot possibly sign you now-(just put the sweater on and play but try not to get hurt since you do not have a contract)-and not signing him with maximum bonuses can only cause problems down the road with him and with other highly talented FAs.

You have absolutely no idea why he isn't signed yet or what affect, if any at all, that will have on him or others in the future. Absolutely no idea.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

What makes you think you have any right to know? Since when are Leafs' management under any obligation to explain their business to you?

he said he sees it as some sort of power trip or something akin to that over the media.
let's ignore that 1/2 the league now barely divulges any information.

other than Jim Benning and to an extent Tim Murarry, name me another GM who just strolls to the mic and starts dishing all the trade secrets.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
he said he sees it as some sort of power trip or something akin to that over the media.
let's ignore that 1/2 the league now barely divulges any information.

other than Jim Benning and to an extent Tim Murarry, name me another GM who just strolls to the mic and starts dishing all the trade secrets.

It wasn't long ago that Burke was here with his outspoken, loud mouth .. And was loathed for it .... Now it's the inverse with Lou Lam and Shanagement for some.

If Matthews isn't signed by the start of training camp, then you'll see me raise an eyebrow .. Until then enjoy the summer. It will get done.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
If he doesn't sign with the Leafs. Can he re-sign with a team in the Swiss league? or is there an agreement between the NHL and the Swiss League that would prohibit the signing? What is the average contract value in the Swiss league vs entry level NHL contracts?

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

Because I'm a fan! That's why it's my business to know. Because the fans are the ones putting up the money and time that keeps the business going.

Especially because we are fans of a team that has decades of history undeserving of the fandom it currently enjoys. Lou Lam has a job because we as fans make it our business to care about what goes on. Despite the overwhelming track record that we shouldn't.

I have a right to know what happened to the RFA's that we all were around for and sold hope in long before Lou ever got here.

This mgmt may not be on the hook for what's happened in the past, but they represent the team that is.

Why am I waiting hours only for no official word on players who we came to watch and cheer for during an incredibly ****** year. We put up with a ton of **** last year, and they have me waiting to see if Josh Leivo and Connor Carrick made the cut. Then don't even inform us as much???

This team should be thanking God most leaf fans don't and haven't come to their senses about rights and obligations in regards to the team they choose to cheer for.

I stand behind everthing they've done and been their biggest proponent but when it boils down, they haven't done **** except a year where they lost more than anyone else. Everything else they've done has yet to be seen. Anderson could be a great deal, or he may join his predecessors in Toskala and Bernier. Matt Martin could be the best signing, or they just gave 4 years to another Clarkson. They may be draft geniuses or they just blew two drafts.

I feel we as fans have the right to know things because it is those things that keep us sticking around and keep us pouring more time and money into the team.

Why is Lou Lam breaking trades? Leafs PR should be announcing it as soon as it's done. The reason I worry about little things like this is because I'm getting the sense they want the spotlight. They want the focus on them and to keep us dependent on them. I worry because we see what happens when egos get too big because they've been give a position of authority and the spotlight in the biggest hockey market. You don't want to give answers then stay out of the spotlight. Getting in front of the camera only to not answer half the questions causes me concern with egos.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I went from page 1 to 5 and i assumed that it was gonna be all sarcasm and snarkiness, but people are genuinely concerned that hes not signed??

He's in development camp. If it was a big issue he'd hold out. Geez people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad