OT: Who's your playoff team, after Toronto?

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
Same here, didn't watch again until the Cup Finals.... I was just so, done with the whole season after that :cry:

I was literally making bets with a buddy who is a Rangers fan. We were chirping each other, and then I was like "Hold On, Neither Game is Over" and he texted, "I guess so, but probably are"

Then the Bruins made it 4-2, and the rest was history

same i didnt tune in until the finals, and i gotta admit seeing bolland score the last goal helped ease some of the pain :laugh:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
There's a difference between cheering for another team and enjoying playoff hockey. I don't cheer for any other team when the Leafs are not in the playoffs but I still enjoy the battles in the playoffs for the teams that do make it.

When you have people cheer for another team, that's when I question where your loyalties lie. :sarcasm:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I root for teams playing against teams I hate, but I wouldn't say I have a team at that point.

Gotta admit I tend to do this as well. Even found myself rooting for the Sens last year for ONE ROUND ONLY.

MrDiddlez

Feb 26, 2014
Toronto
I usually don't watch much after the "Great CoLAFFSe" but I really like the Avs this year so probably them. I also would love to see Iggy get his ring even if it means the Bruins win.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
You guys that stop watching hockey once the leafs are out should really try watch some other series, 2 years ago the flyers-pens 1st round series was simply AMAZING, sooo entertaining. I also really enjoyed the Phx-La series 2 years ago for some reason, watching Brown knee someone diliberatley and seeing Doan crying was really fun!

I'll watch occasional playoff games once the Leafs are out, but essentially non-Leafs hockey is not a priority for me. I'd rather watch a Blue Jays baseball game than a non-Leafs playoff game. And there are all kinds of other things that I would prefer to watch over a non-Leafs playoff game. However, I always stay on top of what is happening in the playoffs and I'll usually watch the last few games of the finals regardless of who is playing. But when it comes right down to it, I'm secure in my fandom and don't really care what anyone else's opinion of it is.

Kyle Doobas*

Marlies + Bruins + not the Habs

So it helps that the Bruins are playing the Habs.

LeafsFIO*

I cheer against the teams that have good fenways and corsons so the fancy stat people will go away

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Marlies + Bruins + not the Habs

So it helps that the Bruins are playing the Habs.

Same. I'm a bit embarrassed at how much I've jumped on the Bruins' bandwagon, but it's just such a nice change to see a well-organised team that out-competes the opposition - the anti-Leafs, if you will.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
I may hate Boston... but i hate the Habs more. Either way due to my household and past the Pens become my playoff team usually.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
When you're a Leaf fan, having a fallback plan for hockey entertainment value in the playoffs is always a good idea.
Having a second team is a semi-mandatory part of being a Leaf fan.
You know your team has lost 47 times in a row ... nice to have a backup.

Mine: Devils.

But for the remaining teams .... I'll say the Ducks.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Having a second team is a semi-mandatory part of being a Leaf fan.
You know your team has lost 47 times in a row ... nice to have a backup.

Mine: Devils.

But for the remaining teams .... I'll say the Ducks.

Nah, I can't get behind any other team. I dislike them all. Some more than others, though.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
1. Toronto Maple Leafs: Because I bleed blue.
2. Winnipeg Jets: Because it's my second home.
3. Calgary Flames: Like Burkie
4. Detroit Red Wings: Like Babcock and Detroit as a city
5. Vancouver Canucks: love the province
6. Colorado Avalanche: Love their dedication to 200-ft game
7. Chicago Blackhawks: My step-kids love em, probably because of Toews
8. Carolina Hurricanes: Ontario-south, go Staals!
9. Anaheim Ducks: Mr. Ducksworth
10. Nashville Predators: Team first, all heart
11. New Jersey Devils: Brodeur
12. Florida Panthers: Snowbirds, plus respect to Tallon
13. Pittsburgh Penguins: Was a fan back when Mario played, sorta meh now with Crosby/Malkin
14. New York Islanders: Love the adversity the franchise has dealt with
15. Ottawa Senators: Still a Canadian team, don't hate em like others do. Sorta our kid brother...
16. Los Angeles Kings: the scars of 94 are healing, enjoy seeing non-traditional markets succeed. Go HOCKEY!
17. Columbus Blue Jackets: I neither hate nor love the Jackets
18. Edmonton Oilers: Really hate their dumb luck and Kevin Lowe, but like McTavish
19. Dallas Stars: Don't like Texas or Texas accessories
20. Washington Capitals: Sorta meh on this team as well, plus non-Canadian club
21. Tampa Bay Lightning: Stamkos!!! (Clone High joke)
22. San Jose Sharks: Hit. The. Reset. Button. All. Fricken. Ready!
23. Phoenix Coyotes: Probably has to do with how much Winnipeg hates them...
24. Minnesota Wild: Parise and Suter... dirty...
25. St. Louis Blues: Not sure why but I don't like them.
26. Buffalo Sabres: I think I don't like Miller. So death to the two teams he's played for...
27. New York Rangers: Hate Sather. Hate him.
28. Philadelphia Flyers: Goons. Hate everything Flyers related, especially Bobby Clarke and his tainted legacy.
29. Boston Bruins: Could only hate one team more than the Bruins...
30. Montreal Canadiens: Words do not condemn this club with the compunction and decisiveness necessary to sum up my feelings towards this club.

Last edited:

hockeyfanz*

I cheer for the Hawks because Jonathan Toews is my favourite NHL player at present. Duncan Keith is a former Kelowna Rocket and semi local kid growing up near by. Also attached to them as Team Canada gold medalists.

I've liked the Hawks a long time as previously Denis Savard was my favourite non Leaf player in the past.

When you're a Leaf fan, having a fallback plan for hockey entertainment value in the playoffs is always a good idea.

This..plus they have the coolest uniforms in all of sports. Class team...can seeing them winning it all again this year. Closest to a dynasty we've seen in a long time.

Toews...best all around player in the world? Perhaps..yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad