OT: Who's your playoff team, after Toronto?

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
Schadenfreude? Nothing like watching hockey out of spite as well. :)

lol but seriously imagine the abuse we would take if a team like ottawa won the cup? or even montreal...a few years ago i was also rooting against vancouver, people around me were cheering for vancouver in the finals because they were canadian (oh please) nonetheless after the riots the people admitted they were glad they lost :laugh:

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
When the Leafs get knocked out, I don't have a team I cheer for, but I usually have plenty of teams I cheer against.

Over the last few years, these are the teams I love seeing losing (in no order):

1. Philadelphia
2. New York Rangers
3. Montreal
4. Vancouver

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Wouldn't mind St Louis winning, or San Jose overcoming their playoff demons. Would be nice to see a team win it's first cup.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
lol but seriously imagine the abuse we would take if a team like ottawa won the cup? or even montreal...a few years ago i was also rooting against vancouver, people around me were cheering for vancouver in the finals because they were canadian (oh please) nonetheless after the riots the people admitted they were glad they lost :laugh:

:laugh: I lived on the West Coast for years and was cheering like crazy for anyone but the Canucks during their run because, you're right, that would have been absolutely unbearable to live with.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Can't help but cheer on certain players wether Leafs are in or out, especially players from my home town....Cole Harbour

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Wouldn't mind St Louis winning, or San Jose overcoming their playoff demons. Would be nice to see a team win it's first cup.

It's nice on one hand. On the other, these would be teams that were able to win a cup after the expansion era when our Leafs have barely gotten a sniff at playoff success in that time. That would be a little hard to swallow.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Playoff hockey is the best hockey of the year.

Team Canada Olympic hockey was great also, and there was no Leafs involved to root for.

Too bad some fans don't appreciate it. Once the Leafs are out, they stop watching. I find that a lot, not just with Leaf fans, they aren't hockey fans.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Playoff hockey is the best hockey of the year.

Team Canada Olympic hockey was great also, and there was no Leafs involved to root for.

Yup, can't miss playoff hockey. It smarts not to have your team in it but it's just too good to pass up. Watching the World Juniors, the WHCs and (this year) the Olympics are always great distractions as well for a hockey fix where you know we'll have a shot.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Too bad some fans don't appreciate it. Once the Leafs are out, they stop watching. I find that a lot, not just with Leaf fans, they aren't hockey fans.

You can enjoy and appreciate Hockey without cheering for a side.

In fact you probably aren't a hockey fan if you have to cheer for one side to enjoy a game.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Surprised to see Boston mentioned along with Philly a few times.

I definitely won't cheer for Boston, but I will cheer for Iginla. Always liked the guy but it's too bad he is a Bruin. I know it sounds hypocritical, but I'm sure many people also like players on teams they hate and know what I'm talking about. Generally I just like to see good hockey but I will cheer for Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Chicago along the way.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation

ill disagree with this assumption since i am one of those people, for instance.. after the leafs exit last year i could not stomach watching another hockey game for a good month

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Well for me it goes in this order on who I cheer for:

1) :hawks, love the team, Kane is one of my favourite players, great city, love the Indian logo
2) :flyers really like the city, passionate hockey fanbase, sick logo and great history
3):kings2 or :pens or :caps

On a side note I don't follow any of these teams during the regular season (Chi a bit). I mainly watch the playoff series their in, playoff hockey is great and after nearly 10 years of no playoff hockey for the Leafs I obviously had to start following some other teams playoff series or I'd go depressed with no playoff hockey in several years :(

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I buy the Center Ice hockey package and watch and follow many games throughout the course of the year.

Also I live in the west so my Leafs games run from 4-7pm my time and I have a whole evening still in front of me there after.

Also a Kelowna Rockets season ticket holder so love watching the local team as well and follow the WHL regularly.

When your a hockey fan lots of opportunity to follow your favourite sport even when your favourite team isn't participating. I guess its the difference between being a hockey fan or just a Leaf fan for some.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

I don't cheer for a team (Leafs only) but I certainly still watch a lot of playoff hockey.

Last year I didn't watch again until the Cup Finals. Felt horrible after Game 7.

I never even seen the goal the Bruins scored in OT go in. Once Reimer let out that rebound, I turned off the TV and drove to work (was working nights). Didn't see it go in until our first meeting with the Bruins when CBC showed it like 5 times

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
I find it difficult to watch a game without having some sort of rooting interest.. so pretty much for every series i'll have a team i'd like to win.. usually because I hate the other team more.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
ill disagree with this assumption since i am one of those people, for instance.. after the leafs exit last year i could not stomach watching another hockey game for a good month

Same here, didn't watch again until the Cup Finals.... I was just so, done with the whole season after that :cry:

I was literally making bets with a buddy who is a Rangers fan. We were chirping each other, and then I was like "Hold On, Neither Game is Over" and he texted, "I guess so, but probably are"

Then the Bruins made it 4-2, and the rest was history

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario

I can understand that. I'm talking about the fans that don't watch if their team doesn't even make it to the playoffs.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
You guys that stop watching hockey once the leafs are out should really try watch some other series, 2 years ago the flyers-pens 1st round series was simply AMAZING, sooo entertaining. I also really enjoyed the Phx-La series 2 years ago for some reason, watching Brown knee someone diliberatley and seeing Doan crying was really fun!

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
I couldn't care less who wins the cup if this joke of a season ends in no playoffs. Preferably it stays in the West though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad