HF Habs: Who's your all time favourite habs goalie

Which goalie is your all time favourite

• Total voters

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Ken Dryden was a very good goalie on a great team and Patrick Roy was a great goalie on a good team.

Reactions: montreal

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Dryden for his exploits in 70-71. Six NHL games of experience. Al McNeil had lost confidence in Rogie Vachon.
Dryden was up against a Orr led Bruins team that lost 13 games that year and scored 399 goals. Dryden beat them and a legend was born!
Those who say he was a good goalie on a great team are wrong. He was as great as any Habs great from that era. Look how far the Habs dropped the year he sat out...

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
For me it was a tough call between Patrick Roy and Ken Dryden. I was fortunate to follow both of their careers. Dryden won 6 Stanley Cups, but he was also fronted by the Big 3 (Savard, Robinson, and Lapointe) the best trio of defenders I've ever seen play. Those teams weren't too shabby on offense either.

St. Patrick only won 2 cups with the Habs (plus two more with the Avalanche) but at times he could put fair-to-good teams on his shoulders and will them to victory.

Roy, by the diameter of a puck.

I'm surprised that Dryden didn't get more votes in this poll, and doubly surprised that Price beat Ken out for second place. I like Carey but I wouldn't even think of voting for a goalie who hadn't won a Stanley Cup for the Habs.

Which calls for a trivia question; who was the last goalie not named Roy or Dryden in the nets for a Canadiens Stanley-Cup clinching game?

Rogie Vachon, in the 1969 sweep of the St. Louis Blues. The opposing goalie? Jacques Plante, who won 6 Stanley Cups with Montreal from 1953-1963. (Vachon won 2 Cups before giving way to Dryden in 1971.)

Anyone who remembers Vachon or Plante is over 65, so I can see why those two men aren't on the list.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
My dad grew up watching Ken Dryden and one of my best friends is also named after him. I grew up watching Price, but I think Dryden still gets the edge for me. Most underrated goalie in history except for maybe Tretiak

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
For me it was a tough call between Patrick Roy and Ken Dryden. I was fortunate to follow both of their careers. Dryden won 6 Stanley Cups, but he was also fronted by the Big 3 (Savard, Robinson, and Lapointe) the best trio of defenders I've ever seen play. Those teams weren't too shabby on offense either.

St. Patrick only won 2 cups with the Habs (plus two more with the Avalanche) but at times he could put fair-to-good teams on his shoulders and will them to victory.

Roy, by the diameter of a puck.

I'm surprised that Dryden didn't get more votes in this poll, and doubly surprised that Price beat Ken out for second place. I like Carey but I wouldn't even think of voting for a goalie who hadn't won a Stanley Cup for the Habs.

Which calls for a trivia question; who was the last goalie not named Roy or Dryden in the nets for a Canadiens Stanley-Cup clinching game?

Rogie Vachon, in the 1969 sweep of the St. Louis Blues. The opposing goalie? Jacques Plante, who won 6 Stanley Cups with Montreal from 1953-1963. (Vachon won 2 Cups before giving way to Dryden in 1971.)

Anyone who remembers Vachon or Plante is over 65, so I can see why those two men aren't on the list.
Dryden's lack of votes is a reflection of the age of board members here. Oh, and I remember Vachon, and I'm under 60 (although I'm sneaking up on that number). I remember Rogie more for his time with the Kings, though.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
In 86 he was a rookie and basically stole the series against the Rangers, remember all of the saves in MSG in overtime? They should have won in 89 but the hockey Gods were smiling on Lanny Macdonald. I am not referring to Colorado, we never had anything like Sakic, Forsberg and company.
13 saves in a span of about 3 minutes. :thumbu:

Reactions: Laurentide

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
13 saves in a span of about 3 minutes. :thumbu:
Paul me and my father watched that game and it was the day that Roy became a God in my young eyes, his head ducking back and forth like a chicken between saves and whistles but cool as a cucumber as the Rangers rained top quality shots at him and the then great Bob Cole doing the Play by play. He carried us that night and many after, I don't think I want the man as a GM but he was a hell of a goalie.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Paul me and my father watched that game and it was the day that Roy became a God in my young eyes, his head ducking back and forth like a chicken between saves and whistles but cool as a cucumber as the Rangers rained top quality shots at him and the then great Bob Cole doing the Play by play. He carried us that night and many after, I don't think I want the man as a GM but he was a hell of a goalie.

Love this post !

Reactions: OldCraig71

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Maybe I shouldn't open my mouth and ruin our luck but it's always nice to see a historical thread that isn't overrun with morons telling us that prime Roy or Dryden wouldn't be able to stop a beachball against today's superhuman cyborgs.

Some of the discussions on the NHL main board make my blood boil.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Dryden for his exploits in 70-71. Six NHL games of experience. Al McNeil had lost confidence in Rogie Vachon.
Dryden was up against a Orr led Bruins team that lost 13 games that year and scored 399 goals. Dryden beat them and a legend was born!
Those who say he was a good goalie on a great team are wrong. He was as great as any Habs great from that era. Look how far the Habs dropped the year he sat out...
How right you are Tyson.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Maybe I shouldn't open my mouth and ruin our luck but it's always nice to see a historical thread that isn't overrun with morons telling us that prime Roy or Dryden wouldn't be able to stop a beachball against today's superhuman cyborgs.

Some of the discussions on the NHL main board make my blood boil.
Look at the gear that goalies of today wear, it's like shooting at a 6 foot 3 couch standing in the crease.

Reactions: the valiant effort

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Epic game. Fact that you watched it with your dad and became an instant Roy fan that night. Just Awesome. :thumbu:

Legendary fans.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Epic game. Fact that you watched it with your dad and became an instant Roy fan that night. Just Awesome. :thumbu:
We never knew anything about him, internet was kind of slow in 86:laugh: and my father keep reminding me that the habs were not afraid to try a new young goalie in the playoffs, it was a magic night for me as a kid.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Lacrosse goalies.
I remember meeting Marc Andre Fleury when he was a world junior goalie and man he was tiny but on the ice he looked massive. The goalie gear has prolonged many a career and that is in no way a shot at Fleury, a hell of a modern era goalie.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
We never knew anything about him, internet was kind of slow in 86:laugh: and my father keep reminding me that the habs were not afraid to try a new young goalie in the playoffs, it was a magic night for me as a kid.
Indeed.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It's the NHL's 100th anniversary, in honour of that`I'll add a plug for Georges Vezina.

He was the first team all star that first season and would have won the trophy with his name on it...except it did`'t exist yet.

He had the first shutout in the history of the NHL.

He was the first goaltender in NHL history to post a goals against under 2 (1.97 in 1923-24).

He backstopped the Habs to 2 Cups (1915-16 and 1923-24)

He collapsed unconcious in his last NHL game and passed away a few months later (tuberculosis). He had played in 355 games in a row for the Habs (1910-11 to 1925).

The NHL began awarding a trophy in his honour the following season.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know if I have a favourite goalie. My favourite player ever was Lafleur.

As for the goalies, never got to really see him as I was too young to know what was going on but I always kind of liked Dryden. The idea of him coming in and knocking off the powerhouse Bruins is just so awesome. Didn't like the way things ended with Roy but he was freaking incredible in those two playoff runs. Carey Price has been awesome on mostly bad clubs.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
<- this guy and its not even close. I feel bad for those voting for Huet or Halak. You guys have missed out on some serious legends, Price is pretty close but nothing will beat Roy's rage to win. That's what I miss with this team, and I dont think I've seen it in a player since he left. f*** Tremblay to this day.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00