HF Habs: Who's your all time favourite habs goalie

Which goalie is your all time favourite

• Total voters
Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
I almost picked Dryden, but personal issues aside, I picked Roy for those 2 great Stanley Cup runs. He didn't have the big 3, didn't have the Rocket and Béliveau, and carried 2 "good" teams to the top honours. The way it ended pissed me off, but I blame Tremblay more than Roy.

I absolutely agree with this. Dryden (who still gets my vote ;)) was one of the parts that made that team exceptional (literally) and without Roy, there would be no cups in 86 and 93. My heart says Dryden, my brain says Roy. Heart won :laugh:

I blame Tremblay too, but what I never could understand is how a GM that has to make a choice between his franchise MVP player and his rookie coach, goes with the coach... A case of Bergevintite? Bros before Pros? Bros before Casseau's?

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
One word: Gump

Edit: 4 cups, 2 vezinas

Attachments

• 4BCB7CA2-0A1B-49DB-8E24-FF198D83D73A.jpeg
    4BCB7CA2-0A1B-49DB-8E24-FF198D83D73A.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: Chili

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
The only 2 cups I’ve seen were pretty much because of Roy.

I like goalies in general and have some sort of soft spot for all the ones I’ve lived through except for Aebischer. I even always thought Alex Auld sucked and even he put in a solid season with the Habs that made me like him.

Loved Theodore coming up and his peak years. 01-02 is revered but he was amazing in 03-04 against the Bruins in round 1; still one of my favourite Habs playoff series ever.

I could go on about some others too.

I still pick Price though.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Aebischer just popped in my head when i was thinking about hacket huet forgot theo and moog too

Moog was great here, perfect veteran for Thibault, it was too bad he retired early and only played 1 season here despite signing a 2 year deal. I really thought that contributed to Thibault dipping the next season and then being traded for Hackett (who was awesome too!).

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I still remember when the Avs traded for Ray Bourque and he and Roy were playing the Devils and in Game 6, Roy goofed up big time and it look like Larry Robinson's coached Devils were going to deny Bourque a Stanley Cup. Well, Roy publicly owned up to his gaffe and he promised to make it up to Bourgue. In Game 7, Roy was super spectacular and the Avs won in 7 games.

That was Larry Robinson first ever loss in a Stanley Cup Final.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm not old enough to have seen Jacques Plante or Ken Dryden. That caveat aside, I voted Roy without hesitation. As a Wings fan, he was a player you hated to play against, but you couldn't help but admire the talent (and more than enough confidence to go with it).

But even before any friction had built up between Roy and the Wings, my brother and I grew up playing borderline unhealthy amounts of NHLPA 93 on Super Nintendo. And whenever we wanted a serious game, he was always the Rangers, and I was always the Habs. Killer matchups, but part of the schtick was that the game had VanBiesbrouck listed as the starting goalie for New York, instead of Richter, despite Richter being clearly better. So I was always confident with having Roy, but it was a game within the game, for whether I could score on Beezer before there was another stop in play (because back then, you couldn't just take a timeout to change your goalie). Good times... Even if Mike Gartner had an impossibly hard slap shot.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I only know 3 of the names, Dryden is number one for me. That was my dad's favotite.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Roy for me as I just started getting in hockey in '85/'86, the '93 cup run was one of the greatest times in my life. But Price up until this year has been great for the most part so I'd put him at #2.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
One word: Gump

in8WVt
The Gumper was great. He didn`t look like an athlete but he had a great sense of humour and he had some nice playoff runs that led to Cups.

If he hadn`t been injured in 1967, the Leafs might be sitting on a longer drought.

Reactions: Shabs

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I stand corrected. :)

Talk about unbreakable records...22 shutouts in a season is a good one.

I can't vouch that Teufelsdreck did see Hainsworth, but he was definitely around. He had his 88th birthday last year!

Reactions: Chili

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I picked Roy and not because he was necessarily better than some of the great names on that list but because he was able to win cups with teams in front of him not anywhere near the calibre that some of the other greats played behind. The ages of posters(myself included) will also play a role in the numbers on this poll.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
In 44 games no less.
It was during a season where there was no forward passing allowed in the offensive zone (which was changed the following season).

It`s like Joe Malone`s seven goals in a game, no one else has done it.

Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad