HF Habs: Who's your all time favourite habs goalie

Which goalie is your all time favourite

• Total voters

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It was during a season where there was no passing allowed in the offensive zone (which was changed the following season).

It`s like Joe Malone`s seven goals in a game, no one else has done it.
Sittler had 6, close, but it's a beatable record, with luck.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Roy for me as I just started getting in hockey in '85/'86, the '93 cup run was one of the greatest times in my life. But Price up until this year has been great for the most part so I'd put him at #2.
Yes, the 93 playoffs were a thrill alright. The Habs almost lost to Les Nordiques. John Leclair was Mr. Clutch. The Habs won so many OT games. The Islanders surprised the favored Pens with Mario and Jaromir Jagr (aka Little Mario) on that team Due to Dale Hunter slamming Pierre Turgeon to the boards and he was seriously injured, the Canadiens easily turfed the Islanders.

Gretzky's late heroics killed the Pat Burns' Leafs (with Glenn Anderson). The LA Kings with Gretzky and Jari Kurri smoked the Habs in Game 1. Habs head coach Jacques Demers noticed early in Game 2 that Marty McSorley's blade was overly long so he waited until late in the game to ask for a stick measurement with the Habs trailing by a goal. Of course, Eric Desjardins tied the game on the power play and then in OT, for good measure, Desjardins scored the winner. In fact, he scored all three goals for the Habs. Habs won the Final 4 games to 1. That was 25 long years ago.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Who is "Durdum"? Do you mean Bill Durnan?

No love for Charlie Hodge, Gump Worsley, Phil Myre, Gerry McNeil, Wayne Thomas, Michel Plasse, Bunny Larocque, Richard Sevigny or Denis Herron?
Punch Imlach's favorite Rogie Vachon wasn't listed either.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Sittler had 6, close, but it's a beatable record, with luck.

Former Hab Red Berenson scored 6 one night too.

Malone actually set that record in the NHL`s first season...and all the games played since then no one has matched it.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Former Jet and Hab Al Montoya let in 4 Mathieu Perreault goals one evening against the Jets. Montoya stopped Perreault on a breakaway toward the end of the game with both players not knowing that a contestant in Safeway's Score to Win contest would have won $1M if a Jets' player had scored 5 goals in regulation.

Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
all his wins that year were by SO. 22 wins, 22 SO's .092 gaa 43 ga in 44 games.
I saw that he also had 22 wins that season.

Don`t know if there were some scoreless ties mixed in.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Vezina winners,

Plante - 7
Durnan - 6
Dryden - 5
Larocque-4
Roy - 3
Hainsworth - 3
Worsley - 2
Price - 1
Theodore - 1
Vachon- 1
Hodge - 1
Sevigny - 1
Herron - 1

Last edited:

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Vezina winners,

Plante - 6
Durnan - 6
Dryden - 5
Larocque-4
Roy - 3
Hainsworth - 3
Worsley - 2
Price - 1
Theodore - 1
Vachon- 1
Hodge - 1
Sevigny - 1
Herron - 1
Plante won another one with the Blues (with Glenn Hall).

The only goaltender in NHL history with seven.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Plante was the first goalie to wear a mask albeit leather composition.
I know he experimented with the different masks before the night he was hit by Bathgate (deliberately by his confession) and after getting stitched up went back into the game with his fibreglass mask.

I`ve read that he started wearing some kind of mask about three years before in practice. I believe others may have been wearing them in practice in the late 1950`s as well (i.e. Johnny Bower).

Plante actually had his own mask factory at one point(1970`s in Magog).

Last edited:

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Dryden for the mask. As a small child that mask just looked so awesome.

Roy was by far my favourite goalie because of the Cup in 86 and the swagger in 93. Killed me when they moved him.

I like Price, but Cups...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Plante won another one with the Blues (with Glenn Hall).

The only goaltender in NHL history with seven.

thanks, missed that one. I know for the '81 they opted to create the Jennings trophy instead of sharing the vezina with teammates, crazy that Denis Herron won the vezina as part of the group of Hab goalies in '80-'81 as he had a 3.5 gaa and just 6 wins.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I picked Roy and not because he was necessarily better than some of the great names on that list but because he was able to win cups with teams in front of him not anywhere near the calibre that some of the other greats played behind. The ages of posters(myself included) will also play a role in the numbers on this poll.

He had all star teams in Colorado and really the 1986 team is pretty underrated by everybody. They were a well-balanced group and by 1989 with the same players, they were a powerhouse that always finished in the league's Top 5. I'll give you 1993, though.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Vezina winners,

Plante - 7
Durnan - 6
Dryden - 5
Larocque-4
Roy - 3
Hainsworth - 3
Worsley - 2
Price - 1
Theodore - 1