Who will win the Selke trophy?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Just watched Bergeron in the last week completely shut down Tavares, Barkov and Stamkos. Let the players decide and they will tell you no one is harder to play against then Bergeron. I know Tavares has said that a few times Bergy is the hardest guy to play against and the last game he schooled him up and down the ice, looked like a pro playing a junior.

You must have been watching some old games, because Florida have not played Boston this season.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Just watched Bergeron in the last week completely shut down Tavares, Barkov and Stamkos. Let the players decide and they will tell you no one is harder to play against then Bergeron. I know Tavares has said that a few times Bergy is the hardest guy to play against and the last game he schooled him up and down the ice, looked like a pro playing a junior.

Love Barkov and Kopitar - but Bergeron is on another level towards the Selke. 20 years before he entered the NHl it's like they thought - they're might be a player like Bergeron so we'll start this award.
There's a few amazing centres in this context but they'll always be compared to Bergeron. He's simply - That.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Love Barkov and Kopitar - but Bergeron is on another level towards the Selke. 20 years before he entered the NHl it's like they thought - they're might be a player like Bergeron so we'll start this award.
There's a few amazing centres in this context but they'll always be compared to Bergeron. He's simply - That.

I have a phone number to a good doctor that can remove the bias from your posts. Last 6 in a row? You're outta your mind. There's homers, then there's you.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I have a phone number to a good doctor that can remove the bias from your posts. Last 6 in a row? You're outta your mind. There's homers, then there's you.

Last 6 years: 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st

He's won 4 in the past 6 years and missed out on a 5th in the closest Selke race since votes were public. 15 voters left him off the ballot completely and one of them even saw fit to give Patrick Kane a 2nd place selke vote, which is ridiculous. Bergeron ended up 10 points out from 1st. It's not a stretch at all to say that he could very well have won the last 6 Selke's. Bergeron is the best defensive forward of his generation, whether or not you choose to believe it.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Last 6 years: 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st

He's won 4 in the past 6 years and missed out on a 5th in the closest Selke race since votes were public. 15 voters left him off the ballot completely and one of them even saw fit to give Patrick Kane a 2nd place selke vote, which is ridiculous. Bergeron ended up 10 points out from 1st. It's not a stretch at all to say that he could very well have won the last 6 Selke's. Bergeron is the best defensive forward of his generation, whether or not you choose to believe it.

I think it's fine to say he's the best of this generation, I don't think it's fine to retroactively shittalk and rip an award from someone who had a fantastic claim just because you feel like it, especially given that guy is watched maybe twice a year by most east coast fans. I mean, thank God for Jere Lehtinen, otherwise Kopitar in 2016 and Kesler in 2011 are the only 'best defensive forwards' in any given year west of Chicago since 1990, what a strange coincidence I'm sure.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think it's fine to say he's the best of this generation, I don't think it's fine to retroactively ****talk and rip an award from someone who had a fantastic claim just because you feel like it, especially given that guy is watched maybe twice a year by most east coast fans. I mean, thank God for Jere Lehtinen, otherwise Kopitar in 2016 and Kesler in 2011 are the only 'best defensive forwards' in any given year west of Chicago since 1990, what a strange coincidence I'm sure.

Who's shit talking Kopitar in this thread?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Right now it's Kopitar by a pretty significant margin

Kopitar's deployment (49.2 offensive zone starts/50.8 percent defensive zone starts 5 v 5) and the fact he's probably LA's best penalty killer has him ahead of Bergeron (who strangely enough is seeing a 57/41 split in favor of offensive zone starts despite still being a monster in the defensive zone)

As long as Kopitar doesn't do his usual disappearing act like he seems to at the halfway point, it's his to lose.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Corsi %
Bergeron: 59%
Toews: 56%
Barkov: 53%
Johansen: 53%
Couturier: 53%
J. Staal: 53%
Crosby: 53%
Giroux: 52%

Point: 52%
Matthews: 51%
Kopitar: 51%

CA/60
Bergeron: 48
Barkov: 51
Couturier: 52
Giroux: 54

Point: 55
Johansen: 56
J. Staal: 56
Toews: 57

Kopitar: 57
Crosby: 59
Matthews: 60

Goals Allowed/60
Bergeron: 1.15
Matthews: 1.39
Point: 1.76
Couturier: 1.83
Kopitar: 1.88
Giroux: 1.97
Toews: 2.45
J. Staal: 2.47
Johansen: 2.69

Barkov: 2.69
Crosby: 2.76

Expected Goals Allowed/60
Barkov: 2.1
Point: 2.13
Bergeron: 2.22
Couturier: 2.23
Giroux: 2.28
J. Staal: 2.33

Kopitar: 2.46
Johansen: 2.5
Toews: 2.64

Matthews: 2.65
Crosby: 2.73

Edited in some players who should/could be in the conversation for the Selke this year.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think it's fine to say he's the best of this generation, I don't think it's fine to retroactively ****talk and rip an award from someone who had a fantastic claim just because you feel like it, especially given that guy is watched maybe twice a year by most east coast fans. I mean, thank God for Jere Lehtinen, otherwise Kopitar in 2016 and Kesler in 2011 are the only 'best defensive forwards' in any given year west of Chicago since 1990, what a strange coincidence I'm sure.

Keeler's win in 2011 wasn't really deserved that year. No problem if he had won it in 2010 - but 2011 Maholtra did most of the defensive heavy lifting for Vancouver while Kesler racked up goals on the the P.P. with the Sedins.
Thought 2016 was a coin-flip between Kopitar and Bergeron. Kopitar probably got the edge because the Bruins missed the playoffs for the second straight year. But I think we can all agree it's a bit strange that some voters left Bergeron off their list altogether.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00