Who will be the SJ Sharks Head Coach for 2015-16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm not a fan of Bylsma at all but I kinda wonder how highly the SJ job will be sought considering where this org is right now.

Oh exactly. Looking from outside the Sharks look (and probably are) like a very dysfunctional organization whose best player is a 35 year old center. The immediate future honestly does not look very bright.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Well its not just that. I think Doug needs to do one of these two things:

1. Trade vets like Jumbo, Patty. Maybe Pavs and Burns. Start a rebuild. Keep the other players under 30 around to build with.

2. Give Jumbo, Patty and our other vets the support they need to compete. Get us a top-4 D-man and a top-6 F (ideally two of them) to actually compete.

The team as it is right now is built to compete. You cannot have players like Jumbo and Patty around and try to not compete. That is unfair to those two and the fans.

I haven't really chimed in on this recently and the coaching thread might not be the case but I completely agree that they either need to trade their "big 4" (JT, PM, Pavelski & Burns) or add to the roster and go for it.

All that's happening right now is they wasted a season where Thornton & Pavelski are still elite, Marleau is still quite good, prime years of a LOT of players and burned a year of an ELC on a player who shouldn't have been in the NHL and at the same time being too good for a high draft pick but not good enough to compete in the playoffs. It's a very bad place to be.

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
^ @FFoB

I say that as I believe Doug will do nothing

Maybe he'll sign a 4th liner, maybe he'll rush a prospect, but no one of consequence is getting signed or traded under his watch

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There are only 30 NHL head coaching positions.

There will always be people wanting those positions. (Regardless of the state of the organization.)

I just don't know if there are any "ex" NHL head coaches out there that I really want. (Too much baggage, i.e., Tortorella. Not to mention very similar name to COO.)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I wasn't for DW or Todd being let go or fired. Keeping DW and a new GM and coach would probably be the best thing that could happen. Todd wants to win and has probably lost the room at least to some extent. He's been here quite a while and we can't chance much of the core roster.

A GM in between DW and the coach is probably a good thing. The room getting a new coach will hopefully be a good thing depending on who it is.

Pretty much.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Hey if the Jackets start next season healthy and the way this one ended, you will have a very solid team to root for .. :laugh:

I know you say that with a laugh…..but I can't deny that it isn't a big part of it. Living here 7 years now, having gone to about 100 games. The team is SO freaking likable and on the verge of something big and has a front office that seems to know what to do. I've met a few of them since I live downtown near the Arena and they are all good dudes.

Not that I would stop rooting for the Sharks, that would never happen. The Sharks are 75% my favorite team and Columbus is 25%. This could bring it closer to 55/45. Of all of things in sports, the Sharks raising the Cup is the one thing I want the most and with the current front office in place, that vision is getting further and further from becoming a reality.

(….now if they win the lottery…….)

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Depends on if that Rumor of Doug taking a higher posistion and hiring a new GM.

I think they'll go off the map.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
For the people who like Todd and don't want to see him go, it's in his best interests to leave. I don't know why you want him to stay. There is nothing for him in San Jose. He gave it his best shot.

As for a new coach, I don't know, just not Torts or any other old school guys. The franchise has to start evolving with the game.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Depends on if that Rumor of Doug taking a higher posistion and hiring a new GM.

I think they'll go off the map.

With the coach or GM if DW gets promoted?

I kinda think that Will might move into the GM position but I'd much rather they bring in a GM from outside the org, someone who is innovative, not afraid to take risks, understands where the game is headed.

If things are going to change it has to start at the top but DW will still be the top of the top if he ends up as the President of hockey ops.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I'd love Babcock, but so would 29 other teams.

I think they'll go off the map with a new coach, probably someone like Owen Nolan.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
The mascot reveals himself to be a superior strategist and gm combined double bite. :handclap:

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Hannan will be head coach.
Funny thing is that he would play himself less than Tmac did:laugh:
They will "expand his role" like Larry's, to include not coaching and living in Florida.
i'm actually ok with that, let him make bigger key decisions and get him away from the locker room

Ricci coach, Johnson associate,Rob Blake GM....that would be something allright.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
With the coach or GM if DW gets promoted?

I kinda think that Will might move into the GM position but I'd much rather they bring in a GM from outside the org, someone who is innovative, not afraid to take risks, understands where the game is headed.

If things are going to change it has to start at the top but DW will still be the top of the top if he ends up as the President of hockey ops.

The coach. Should have specified.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
My prediction:

Sharks franchise becomes all Game of Thrones, TMac is sacked and DW assumes complete control as GM, head coach, and comes out of retirement to play another season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad