Line Combos: Who survives final roster cuts?

Final 21: (13F/8D or 14F/7D)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Tarasenko
O’Reilly
Steen
Schwartz
Schenn
Bozak
Perron
Maroon
Jaskin
Thorburn
Barbashev
Thomas
Blais

IR: Fabbri

LTIR: Soshnikov, Sundqvist (if they can’t put these 2 on LTIR, I’m not sure how they make it work and be Cap compliant)

Sent to AHL solely for Cap reasons: Kyrou

Pietrangelo
Parayko
Bouwmeester
Edmundson
Dunn
Schmaltz

Suspended: Bortuzzo

IR: Gunnarsson

Allen
Johnson

That would be a roster of 13F, 7D and 2G, one short is the 23-man max allowed. But those 22 add up to a Cap hit of $79.187M.

Cap ceiling is $79.5M.

Adding in Kyrou would be a total of $79.945, thus over the Cap, so unfortunately, I had to send him to the minors to start the season to be Cap compliant.

LTIR thoughts: Not sure of the exact requirements of being able to classify a player as LTIR but I’d think Sosh would qualify and maybe they can get away with putting Sundqvist on either LTIR or waivers (can injured played even be placed on waivers?).

Another interesting thing I found is this:

A player whom was previously on long-term injured reserve (LTIR), may be loaned to a minor league club for a maximum of 6 days or 3 games for the purpose of determining if the player is fit to play. This player does not need to pass through waivers. CBA Reference 13.9

Fabbri ended last season on LTIR so I’d think he’d be eligible for this. Could be another way to find a way to be Cap compliant.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
LTIR thoughts: Not sure of the exact requirements of being able to classify a player as LTIR but I’d think Sosh would qualify and maybe they can get away with putting Sundqvist on either LTIR or waivers (can injured played even be placed on waivers?).

Another interesting thing I found is this:

A player whom was previously on long-term injured reserve (LTIR), may be loaned to a minor league club for a maximum of 6 days or 3 games for the purpose of determining if the player is fit to play. This player does not need to pass through waivers. CBA Reference 13.9

Fabbri ended last season on LTIR so I’d think he’d be eligible for this. Could be another way to find a way to be Cap compliant.
Do players loaned to minor league club count against cap?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Do players loaned to minor league club count against cap?

Good point and good question. I think they might so yeah, that might not actually solve anything.

And now they acquired Jerabek??! And he’s waiver eligible so I’d think the plan is to keep him on the NHL roster. My guess is some more moves are coming so I guess I’ll be re-doing the roster I just did later today!

Reactions: Blueston

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Good point and good question. I think they might so yeah, that might not actually solve anything.

And now they acquired Jerabek??! And he’s waiver eligible so I’d think the plan is to keep him on the NHL roster. My guess is some more moves are coming so I guess I’ll be re-doing the roster I just did later today!
Jerabek already was waived and cleared

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
If Kyrou and Blais are sent down after how hard they battled and played to make this team, it sends a bad message in my opinion. Thorburn doesn't deserve to be on this team. He's done nothing and has no reason other then sitting in the pressbox, which is where Barbashev and Jaskin could be. I don't get Jerabek. Unless Gunnarsson is going back on IR right away or LTIR or another player is being traded, I don't understand Jerabek. If his salary is below a million though, I believe he can be sent down to the minors (through waivers) without it counting against the cap.

Reactions: The Note in MI

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Oh, didn’t know that. The trade makes a lot more sense then though!

Still, seems a little odd since they already have 4 NHL caliber LDs (once Gunnar is fully healthy) and then Walman and Mikkola as well. Maybe this is a sign they really want Walman and Mikkola to spend most of the season in the AHL to fine tune their games. And in thinking about it, that probably is what’s best for those two.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
He hasn't cleared waivers.

There was talk of him being being on waivers (& potentially being released) in the past couple of days, but McKenzie was saying earlier that they were trying to trade him and if it didn't happen then he'd be put on waivers.

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
If Kyrou and Blais are sent down after how hard they battled and played to make this team, it sends a bad message in my opinion. Thorburn doesn't deserve to be on this team. He's done nothing and has no reason other then sitting in the pressbox, which is where Barbashev and Jaskin could be. I don't get Jerabek. Unless Gunnarsson is going back on IR right away or LTIR or another player is being traded, I don't understand Jerabek. If his salary is below a million though, I believe he can be sent down to the minors (through waivers) without it counting against the cap.

The max that that be buried in the minors this season is $1.025M. Jerabek is at $1.0M. So he wouldn’t count at all against the Cap when playing in the minors.

To me, the Kyrou/Blais vs Thorburn thing comes down to who will actually be in the lineup (and Cap considerations too). If for example, it’s not looking like one or both of them will be getting into the lineup, it makes no sense to sit them in the press box. Thorburn can sit in the press box.

In the event, one/both of Blais/Kyrou start in the AHL, if/when Blais/Kyrou are needed, I’d call them up and put them straight into the lineup, with the scrubs still staying in the press box.

At the end of the day, I’m not going to get too upset if a rookie or two starts the season in the minors even if they “deserved” to make this team. There are business decisions to be made and that makes it messy sometimes. But either way, I expect both Kyrou and Blais to play a good chunk of this season for the Blues. If it doesn’t happen to be the first handful of games of the regular season, so be it.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
He hasn't cleared waivers.

There was talk of him being being on waivers (& potentially being released) in the past couple of days, but McKenzie was saying earlier that they were trying to trade him and if it didn't happen then he'd be put on waivers.

Oh. Well then I stick by my first gut reaction then that the Blues are going to have to get creative now after trading for Jerabek.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

I understand Blais going to the minors because there's simply no room in the top 9. He's been good, but Kyrou has been better. If they don't think Blais will get the right opportunities in the current lineup, it makes sense to put some PKers in his spot and make him an injury call-up.

However, if they stick Kyrou and Thomas together on the 4th line and play Jaskin on the 3rd line or something like that, that's when demoting Blais looks bad.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
The max that that be buried in the minors this season is $1.025M. Jerabek is at $1.0M. So he wouldn’t count at all against the Cap when playing in the minors.

To me, the Kyrou/Blais vs Thorburn thing comes down to who will actually be in the lineup (and Cap considerations too). If for example, it’s not looking like one or both of them will be getting into the lineup, it makes no sense to sit them in the press box. Thorburn can sit in the press box.

In the event, one/both of Blais/Kyrou start in the AHL, if/when Blais/Kyrou are needed, I’d call them up and put them straight into the lineup, with the scrubs still staying in the press box.

At the end of the day, I’m not going to get too upset if a rookie or two starts the season in the minors even if they “deserved” to make this team. There are business decisions to be made and that makes it messy sometimes. But either way, I expect both Kyrou and Blais to play a good chunk of this season for the Blues. If it doesn’t happen to be the first handful of games of the regular season, so be it.

I agree that it comes down to who will actually be in the lineup, but playing Thomas with Thorburn is a waste of Thomas's skill and what he brings to the game, so unless you're going to send Thomas back down to juniors, which is unlikely, then Thorburn shouldn't really see action at all. Jaskin and Barbashev are more then capable of warming the bench. Thorburn is and was an unneeded addition. I'm sure he's a great lockerroom guy and teammate but having his could essentially be blocking someone else from being on the roster who could be more useful. And when it pertains to business, having essentially a $900,000 paper weight who can't offer much outside of the occasional hit or fight...it isn't good.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Oh. Well then I stick by my first gut reaction then that the Blues are going to have to get creative now after trading for Jerabek.
Hopefully it is that, because the other option is an injury that we don't know about yet.

I understand Blais going to the minors because there's simply no room in the top 9. He's been good, but Kyrou has been better. If they don't think Blais will get the right opportunities in the current lineup, it makes sense to put some PKers in his spot and make him an injury call-up.

However, if they stick Kyrou and Thomas together on the 4th line and play Jaskin on the 3rd line or something like that, that's when demoting Blais looks bad.
At this point I think that all 3 should be on the roster and in the lineup. You are right that if they aren't in the lineup then they should be sent down. However, I wouldn't look at it as "top-9" and a fourth line. We can play 4 "top-9" lines, and then potentially limit players ice time as the game develops. If the need arises.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Hopefully it is that, because the other option is an injury that we don't know about yet.

JR just referenced Edmundson as having a groin injury. Ugh. Hopefully it’s not bad. But yeah, that could be the entire reason for this move.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
At this point I think that all 3 should be on the roster and in the lineup. You are right that if they aren't in the lineup then they should be sent down. However, I wouldn't look at it as "top-9" and a fourth line. We can play 4 "top-9" lines, and then potentially limit players ice time as the game develops. If the need arises.

I'm talking about top 9 in terms of usage/opportunity, not apparent offensive skill.

I'm all for a non-traditional 4th line, but if they don't think Blais fits as a penalty killer and they're just going to play him for ten minutes a game, I'm not convinced it's so bad to play Barbashev or Jaskin in his place until injuries hit.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The minutiae of the salary cap gives me a headache. It has felt like we're at the roster size limit(over it, actually) of NHL players, and we're right up against the cap, yet we just bring in a guy with a million dollar cap hit. I don't understand. Do we have that wiggle room? Or only if/when Gunnar gets placed on IR?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
The minutiae of the salary cap gives me a headache. It has felt like we're at the roster size limit(over it, actually) of NHL players, and we're right up against the cap, yet we just bring in a guy with a million dollar cap hit. I don't understand. Do we have that wiggle room? Or only if/when Gunnar gets placed on IR?

The only way I’m able to make the math work to be Cap compliant is if they’re able to place Gunnar on LTIR to start the season.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Jaskin and Thorburn have been placed on waivers.

I am legitimately sad about Jaskin although overjoyed about Thorburn. I get it given the roster make-up. If we go with a more skilled 4th line, Jaskin doesn't have the scoring touch. But he is one of our better hitters/forecheckers and one of our better 5v5 defensive forwards. Those are skills we may miss if he is claimed and if our younger guys hit mid-season lulls. I think there is a good shot he is claimed. I'd take a 50-50 bet someone grabs him.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Jaskin makes about $400k more than Blais. As tight as we are against cap, that could factor into decision.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Unless the desire to play is still too strong, if Thorburn is not claimed. I wouldn’t be surprised if he retures and let the Blues hire him in a player development role. He is not shy about much he moves the STL area and how his son’s school district is helping with his needs. He seems like another of the dozen or so retired players that chose STL area to raise their family after their career is over.

I can easily see Jaskin claimed. Ottawa would be a ln obvious choice. Jaskin’s defensive abilities would match up good with Boucher.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I'm sure hoping Kyrou makes the team for you guys. From what i've read hes had a good pre-season and also from a fantasy hockey point of view in my league where you have to start a rookie. Just came in here in hopes if anyone knew if he made the team or not.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm sure hoping Kyrou makes the team for you guys. From what i've read hes had a good pre-season and also from a fantasy hockey point of view in my league where you have to start a rookie. Just came in here in hopes if anyone knew if he made the team or not.
I'd say it's likely, as in above 50%. Still up in the air but Jaskin and Thorburn going on waivers bodes well for him starting the season here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad