Line Combos: Who survives final roster cuts?

Final 21: (13F/8D or 14F/7D)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Hey this is the Blues. You will be proven a genius when all our prospects fizzle out and Jaskin goes off in Washington.

350.png

Reactions: teddygmr

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
So:

Maroon O'Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Steen Bozak Perron
Blais Thomas Barbashev

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Edmundson Parayko
Dunn Schmaltz

??

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It's not always up to them. It can be a bureaucratic issue
True, but when do you think they started working on this? Last week, or four weeks ago? His agent knew there was a possibility of him playing for a US based team, so why not obtain the visa for him even if he ends up not needing it. Maybe I just don't know enough about the process never having had to obtain one to work in the US, but it seems like some guys have problems and other guys don't. Doesn't seem to be a leap to the likely explanation being that the guys who have problems waited too long to start the process and the ones who don't got the process done early.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
True, but when do you think they started working on this? Last week, or four weeks ago? His agent knew there was a possibility of him playing for a US based team, so why not obtain the visa for him even if he ends up not needing it.. Maybe I just don't know enough about the process never having had to obtain one to work in the US, but it seems like some guys have problems and other guys don't. Doesn't seem to be a leap to the likely explanation being that the guys who have problems waited too long to start the process and the ones who don't got the process done early.

It doesn’t work like that. You have to have an employer sponsor you. The Blues (or any other US based team) couldn’t have sponsored Jerabek until he became their employee.

How fast it goes is up to the government visa folks.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’m curious why they bothered having 2 backup options in Butler and Mikkola if Edmundson can’t go on Thurs.

Unless of course there’s another d-man also a bit questionable for Thurs night.

Injuries (and Borts’ suspension) are already creating weird transfusions!

Mar 6, 2012
Yeah, carrying 12 forwards seems risky. What if someone tweaks a knee or something in practice and can't go? we play a defenseman as a forward?

Why?

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
So what's the deal with Fabbri? He's not on the Injured Reserve list?

He is on the IR non roster? Which according to Jeff Jones doesn’t jibe with the type of injury the blues are claiming he has. I’m confused on the whole IR vs IR non roster.

Hope blues aren’t trying to hide something because why wouldn’t they have just put him on IR.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It doesn’t work like that. You have to have an employer sponsor you. The Blues (or any other US based team) couldn’t have sponsored Jerabek until he became their employee.

How fast it goes is up to the government visa folks.
That's good to know. That said, it would be nice if the league could work out a deal where they or the NHLPA can be the sponsor and get this process taken care of for players ahead of time.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We lost Jaskin to carry Butler as a surplus D? Seriously?!?!?! Someone besides Edmundson better be day to day. If Mikkola and Butler are lounging in the presser while Jaskin goes off to DC, I am going to be quite miffed.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He is on the IR non roster? Which according to Jeff Jones doesn’t jibe with the type of injury the blues are claiming he has. I’m confused on the whole IR vs IR non roster.

Hope blues aren’t trying to hide something because why wouldn’t they have just put him on IR.

Jeff Jones also said today that Sunny getting hurt caused Jaskin to be put on waivers since Sunny couldn't be assigned to the AHL while hurt. This ignored the fact that Sunny can be placed on the IR and not count towards the 23 man roster (which is what the Blues did).

Jones is misinterpreting the clause he cites in his tweet. He claims that Fabbri could only be on the non-roster IR if it is related to his prior injury (or he failed his physical). This is exactly the opposite of what 16.11(a) of the CBA states:

"The Injured Reserve List is a category of the Reserve List. A Club may place a Player on the Injured Reserve List only if such Player is reasonably expected to be injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player for a minimum of seven (7) days from the onset of such injury, illness or disability. A Player who finishes an NHL Season on the Injured Reserve List and continues to be disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player by reason of the same injury at the time he reports to the Club's Training Camp in the next League Year, will again be eligible to be placed on the Club's Injured Reserve List. For any other Player who fails the Club's initial physical examination in any League Year, or is injured, ill or disabled while not on the Club's Active Roster, he shall not be eligible for, and may not be placed on, Injured Reserve, but instead shall be eligible to be, and may be designated as, Injured Non-Roster."

The italics are mine and deal with the designation of a player dealing with the same injury that put them on IR. Those players are placed on normal injured reserve.

The CBA is sloppy about what we consider an "Active Roster" during the preseason. Technically, the first active roster is due today and players in camp aren't on an NHL roster. By the letter of 16.11(a), Fabbri was not on our active roster at the end of last season, was taken off IR when he was deemed fit to play at the start of camp. Any new injury sustained during camp occurred while he was not on our roster. Since he also wasn't on the roster to close last season, the non-roster IR designation makes sense. I think Jones is creating much ado over nothing.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That's good to know. That said, it would be nice if the league could work out a deal where they or the NHLPA can be the sponsor and get this process taken care of for players ahead of time.

From a legal standpoint, it is very important for the league that each team be the employer of their players. The occasional visa issue is worth keeping that status intact and not opening up a can of worms that the NHL is actually an employer of the players in the league.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We lost Jaskin to carry Butler as a surplus D? Seriously?!?!?! Someone besides Edmundson better be day to day. If Mikkola and Butler are lounging in the presser while Jaskin goes off to DC, I am going to be quite miffed.

I think it is simply that we decided Jaskin wasn't worth keeping if he can't be used on the PK. I think they decided that he was our 14th 15th best forward when we're healthy and opted to move on now.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’m curious why they bothered having 2 backup options in Butler and Mikkola if Edmundson can’t go on Thurs.

Unless of course there’s another d-man also a bit questionable for Thurs night.

Injuries (and Borts’ suspension) are already creating weird transfusions!
This is super weird. Seems to me something else is up. There is either another defenseman battling injury/illness or they are planning on moving someone else out before Thursday. They don't need both Butler and Mikkola otherwise and Bortz will be back before 2nd game.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think we can all agree that we collectively dropped the ball by not accurately predicting the team would carry 9 D on the opening night roster while also having 2 more D on the non-roster reserve list. Seriously guys, we should have seen this coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad