Line Combos: Who survives final roster cuts?

Final 21: (13F/8D or 14F/7D)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Really, really surprised that Jaskin was waived. I have to think that the coaching staff determined that he wasn't a good enough PK player and we just couldn't afford to use a lineup spot on a purely bottom 6 guy who can't kill penalties effectively. I expect him to get claimed. I don't think his $1.1 mil salary will be enough to dissuade every team from taking a flyer on him.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm sure hoping Kyrou makes the team for you guys. From what i've read hes had a good pre-season and also from a fantasy hockey point of view in my league where you have to start a rookie. Just came in here in hopes if anyone knew if he made the team or not.

Its not official, but it looks likely. We just waived two vets who might have taken his spot. Given injuries and guys who have been waived, it seems very, very likely he starts with the NHL team..

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm sure hoping Kyrou makes the team for you guys. From what i've read hes had a good pre-season and also from a fantasy hockey point of view in my league where you have to start a rookie. Just came in here in hopes if anyone knew if he made the team or not.

The waiving of Thorburn and Jaskin make it damn close to a lock that he makes the team. He has been given preseason opportunities with skill players and got a pretty long look as the RW with Schenn and Schwartz on what most would consider our 2nd line. He didn't look out of place in that role IMO and he is easily the best skating forward in our organization. It would be very odd for the Blues to waive two bottom 6 players and then also send Kyrou to the AHL.

We're deep enough with top 9 talent that making the roster out of camp isn't a guarantee that he will keep the job all season. He will have to produce there and competition should be fierce for top 9 spots all season. But I'd be shocked if he didn't make the roster at this point.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, I feel that is it with Jaskin in the Blues, though if somehow he DOES clear, I am actually very curious just how good he can be at the AHL level. I hope we get to keep him, because I still think he is a solid bottom 6 option.

I honestly did not want to waive him. I thought he and Barbashev were the obvious best options for our 13th and 14th forward.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Jaskin on waivers....Remember when Hitch compared him to Hossa? Maybe he meant Marcel Hossa...

He will be claimed. I think he's an NHLer, I just wasn't too thrilled when he was put on a scoring line(sometimes out of necessity). He has some skill, but clearly is not one of our top 12 forwards anymore. Good luck wherever he ends up.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
My thought is hopefully Barbashev and Blais can round out their games and fill a 4th-line role for the team. They both have shown the ability to play that physical game that Jaskin brings, except are better skaters.

That's the main thing that is sticking out to me. Aside from the top line with Maroon and O'Reilly, the Blues are filling out the rest of their roster with some quicker legs. And that's what needs to be done in today's NHL.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
So what are everyone's line predictions for Thursday now that the roster is looking more and clear?

Maroon-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Barbashev-Thomas-Blais

That's a good lineup provided the young guys can play at this level, which all indications are that they can.

Reactions: The Note in MI

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Barbashev-Thomas-Blais

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Jerabek (Edmundson)-Schmaltz
This looks to be the case.

Sanford Foley to AHL.
Soshnikov on IR but maybe on roster when he returns.
Sundqvist may take that spot from Soshnikov when he returns but I’d see him waived probably.
Schmaltz looks to have made the team for now, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gunny moved now.
Jerbak will he waived when we have Eddy back.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm a bit disappointed that Jaskin was waived as well, I think he's still a fine 4th line option. It seems like the team prefers Barbashev over Jaskin, and based on how much Barbashev was utilized on the PK, it's clear that the coaching staff believe he's much more versatile.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I'm a bit disappointed that Jaskin was waived as well, I think he's still a fine 4th line option. It seems like the team prefers Barbashev over Jaskin, and based on how much Barbashev was utilized on the PK, it's clear that the coaching staff believe he's much more versatile.

That’s probably what it came down to - PK ability. Jaskin has good possession stats but he’s not quite quick enough to be a good PKer. Hard to find a spot for a 4th line guy that can’t chip in on special teams.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
That’s probably what it came down to - PK ability. Jaskin has good possession stats but he’s not quite quick enough to be a good PKer. Hard to find a spot for a 4th line guy that can’t chip in on special teams.
Plus Barby has looked great with Thomas and that line was solid against Columbus main roster and Thomas with Blais was good against Washington last night as well.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I was completely wrong about Jaškin, I didn't see any possibility of him being waived. Even if Thomas, Blais and Kyrou are making the roster then there is still space for Barbashev and Jaškin.

I'll be very surprised if another team doesn't claim him, thinking they can get a little more out of him.

Not bothered about losing him, but surprised that the Oilers wouldn't have bit on Jaškin for Jeřábek to keep picks out of it.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Barbashev-Thomas-Blais

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Jerabek (Edmundson)-Schmaltz

The great thing about this lineup is that when (not if) injuries occur to top 6 players, everyone can simply slide up, and the Blues won't miss a beat. Our 4th line is certainly capable of playing 3rd line duties, and our 3rd line can play 2nd line duties, etc. Sanford, Soshnikov and Sundqvist (when healthy) are more reliable 4th line guys who aren't regulars on a healthy Blues team...great depth.

Reactions: BlueDream

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Was anyone impressed with Walman like I was on sunday. I thought his defense was a lot better and he seemed to continually get his shot off and on net almost every time. I was just at awe how many times he hit the goalie through traffic and created rebounds. You get a guy like maroon in that area or someone good at deflecting and you have a bunch of goals. I was just surprised no one commented on his play.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm impressed that they waived Jaskin. It seemed in the past, we'd hold on to players for specific roles, but this camp, it really does feel like the best 12 will be starting.

Reactions: Bluesman91

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Was anyone impressed with Walman like I was on sunday. I thought his defense was a lot better and he seemed to continually get his shot off and on net almost every time. I was just at awe how many times he hit the goalie through traffic and created rebounds. You get a guy like maroon in that area or someone good at deflecting and you have a bunch of goals. I was just surprised no one commented on his play.

He was better than he has previously been and had a couple good sequences shooting the puck, but he also wasn't particularly good overall. I thought Mikkola and Schmaltz were both noticeably better.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I was completely wrong about Jaškin, I didn't see any possibility of him being waived. Even if Thomas, Blais and Kyrou are making the roster then there is still space for Barbashev and Jaškin.

I'll be very surprised if another team doesn't claim him, thinking they can get a little more out of him.

Not bothered about losing him, but surprised that the Oilers wouldn't have bit on Jaškin for Jeřábek to keep picks out of it.

It’s a fair thought as I’d think EDM could use Jaskin but did they have room on their 23-man roster for Jaskin?

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I'm impressed that they waived Jaskin. It seemed in the past, we'd hold on to players for specific roles, but this camp, it really does feel like the best 12 will be starting.

Agreed. It's probably best that Yeo be forced to play the young talent.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

I didn’t see yesterday’s game as I didn’t bother paying for NHL Network this year but yeah, his bomb from the point is one of his main weapons. Boy I wish Parayko could get his clapper off that consistently.

That said, I think Walman does rely on his slap shot just a bit too much and he’s also pretty wildly inconsistent with it sometimes.

He has a lot of things going for him but he still needs to clean up his D game and learn to pick his spots a bit better. But after a bad AHL rookie season, I think he’s shown in this camp that he is a legit top prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad