Who slows down Marchand, Bergeron & Pastrnak in the Playoffs?

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
seems to me there's 2 very different questions here.

Even Strength (57.2cf%, 57.7scf%, 52.2gf%):

Bergeron: 25gl/57pt pace
Marchand: 23gl/60pt pace
Pastrnak: 25gl/57pt pace

now that's good, but not really an unstoppable force.

we can compare to their first 2 round opponents:

TOR (54.4cf%, 57.0scf%, 60.3gf%):

Tavares: 38gl/72pt pace
Marner: 22gl/70pt pace
Hyman: 23gl/45pt pace

TBL (54.6cf%, 53.8scf%, 59.4gf%):

Point: 22gl/59pt pace
Kuch: 25gl/78pt pace
Johnson: 28gl/40pt pace

Purely with Toronto it will be interesting bc Toronto's best players are best 5v5 (some of the best in the league) but Boston has also allowed the least 5v5 goals of all 31 teams this season.

If there is any team that having strong 5v5 scoring isn't a big advantage it's vs the Bruins. They're PK on the other hand is pretty mediocre. That's where I think Tampa is really gonna to be able to hurt them.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I can't believe anyone could possibly think someone with 8 points in 5 games was shut down in any way, shape or form.

That's all i got lmfao, please take away my hockey fandom if I ever say Bergeron shut down a line that ended up all around 1.5PPG in the series.

I said no such thing, guess I have to repeat myself: "The actual narrative is that Bergeron's line dominated in game 1, and then Point's line shut them down in games 2 through 5."

Bergeron's line got 2 ES goals in games 2 through 5, going minus 2 over those 4 games. Tampa's 2nd line beat Boston's first line comfortably -- so not surprising Boston lost all four.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
From what I can remember, Point's line was not matched up with Bergeron's much after game 1 (or game 2?). I wish I knew a good resource for matchup info to confirm.

With that said, it's true that Bergeron's line was quiet at EV after game 1.

Your memory's wrong. For example, take a look at the play-by-play from Game 5. Boston Bruins - Tampa Bay Lightning - May 6th, 2018

Ctrl-F on Point's name, and click through it -- all his interactions are with Bergeron or defensemen.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Your memory's wrong. For example, take a look at the play-by-play from Game 5. Boston Bruins - Tampa Bay Lightning - May 6th, 2018

Ctrl-F on Point's name, and click through it -- all his interactions are with Bergeron or defensemen.

True. Though, looking at this again, seems like outside of game 2, every goal Point's line scored at EV was against Krejci's line.

So, maybe the narrative should be: "Bergeron's line dominated Point's in game 1, Point's line dominated Bergeron's in game 2, and neither did anything against the other in the last 3 games".

With that said, this is all a bit pointless. Tampa winning last year had nothing to do with shutting down Bergeron's line. It had more to do with having better offensive depth, better defence and better goaltending. And this really hasn't changed this year. So if the two teams meet, we'll probably see the same result.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
True. Though, looking at this again, seems like outside of game 2, every goal Point's line scored at EV was against Krejci's line.

So, maybe the narrative should be: "Bergeron's line dominated Point's in game 1, Point's line dominated Bergeron's in game 2, and neither did anything against the other in the last 3 games".

With that said, this is all a bit pointless. Tampa winning last year had nothing to do with shutting down Bergeron's line. It had more to do with having better offensive depth, better defence and better goaltending. And this really hasn't changed this year. So if the two teams meet, we'll probably see the same result.

In any case, the answer to this thread is still "Tampa".

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I said no such thing, guess I have to repeat myself: "The actual narrative is that Bergeron's line dominated in game 1, and then Point's line shut them down in games 2 through 5."

Bergeron's line got 2 ES goals in games 2 through 5, going minus 2 over those 4 games. Tampa's 2nd line beat Boston's first line comfortably -- so not surprising Boston lost all four.

Boston got robbed game 4, that's why they lost that one.

Reactions: b in vancouver

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This narrative that the first line was somehow shut down by Tampa is the strangest thing on HF, no the first line was not shut down in any way, lines 2-4 if I remember correctly did not score an ES goal in games 2-5 and that was the downfall of the team. Nothing to do with line 1.

The first line also outscored Tampa's line they were matching at ES by +2.

In no world did a whole line above PPG get shut down, it simply makes no sense lol.

They dominated TB's Point line in game one, and then the Point line shut them down for four straight games.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Toronto wont be able to shut down that line. its crazy what bergeron can do. Shutdown the opponents top line and be a top scorer at the same time.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
No center on the leafs can handle Bergeron, Marchand, Pasternak including Tavares. Hainsey is too slow. If Muzzin lays out a couple of big hits he could slow them down for a few shifts at least.

But right now there’s no indication the leafs can stop that line.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Bruins haven't gotten past the 2nd round in 6 years, pretty sure many teams don't have a problem shutting down this line.

Well considering all 3 players had career years or close to it (ppg wise) means the past 6 years aren't really relevant. Oh and Pastrnak hasn't even been in the league for 6 years.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
The best bet for the leafs is not to shut down this line, just try and stay afloat and whoever they don't match with needs to dominate.

Based on this season they'll probably match against Marner / Tavares line, meaning Matthews will need to dominate against Krejci to give them a chance

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Boston got robbed game 4, that's why they lost that one.

I remember a lot of Bruin tears from that series, but I don't particularly remember your game 4 complaints.

tenor.gif

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I don't want anyone to slow them down.
Boston was kinda scummy for a while gooning it up after a win or loss but that changed. I like what this team is doing these days.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
If they're lucky enough to make it that far Canes could roll:

Foegele/Ferland - Staal - Teravainen
Slavin - Pesce

Let Aho line play Krejci

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Toronto is going to absolutely dust these losers. We’ve yet to see the best hockey that Toronto can play. Toronto in 6.
Winning in 6 games is dusting? Good luck. :laugh:

The Leafs you watch are not the same Leafs that everybody else sees. I'm sure you're right and we're all wrong though.

Boston is going to kick the Leafs teeth in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad