Who slows down Marchand, Bergeron & Pastrnak in the Playoffs?

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I wouldn't worry about shutting down one line. If the other 3 lines outscore the Bruins bottom 3 then you will probably win.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Tampa Bay is laughing at you

Why exactly? I'm pretty sure if you started a poll asking which line people would rather have in the PLAYOFFS Boston would win that poll quite easily. That's not a knock on Tampa cause they're clearly the best team in the league, but that Boston trio is just a possession nightmare for other teams which suits playoff hockey to a T.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Why exactly? I'm pretty sure if you started a poll asking which line people would rather have in the PLAYOFFS Boston would win that poll quite easily. That's not a knock on Tampa cause they're clearly the best team in the league, but that Boston trio is just a possession nightmare for other teams which suits playoff hockey to a T.
Because they literally shut that line down last playoffs.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
seems to me there's 2 very different questions here.

Even Strength (57.2cf%, 57.7scf%, 52.2gf%):

Bergeron: 25gl/57pt pace
Marchand: 23gl/60pt pace
Pastrnak: 25gl/57pt pace

now that's good, but not really an unstoppable force.

we can compare to their first 2 round opponents:

TOR (54.4cf%, 57.0scf%, 60.3gf%):

Tavares: 38gl/72pt pace
Marner: 22gl/70pt pace
Hyman: 23gl/45pt pace

TBL (54.6cf%, 53.8scf%, 59.4gf%):

Point: 22gl/59pt pace
Kuch: 25gl/78pt pace
Johnson: 28gl/40pt pace

and the bruins' top line doesn't seem to have any advantage there.

of course, on the PP, the bruins' trio has been absolutely crushing it, which is a different story. but tampa's line matches them there too.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
seems to me there's 2 very different questions here.

Even Strength (57.2cf%, 57.7scf%, 52.2gf%):

Bergeron: 25gl/57pt pace
Marchand: 23gl/60pt pace
Pastrnak: 25gl/57pt pace

now that's good, but not really an unstoppable force.

we can compare to their first 2 round opponents:

TOR (54.4cf%, 57.0scf%, 60.3gf%):

Tavares: 38gl/72pt pace
Marner: 22gl/70pt pace
Hyman: 23gl/45pt pace

TBL (54.6cf%, 53.8scf%, 59.4gf%):

Point: 22gl/59pt pace
Kuch: 25gl/78pt pace
Johnson: 28gl/40pt pace

and the bruins' top line doesn't seem to have any advantage there.

of course, on the PP, the bruins' trio has been absolutely crushing it, which is a different story. but tampa's line matches them there too.

Lots of injuries to the Bruins this season and until the trade deadline every team only needed to focus on the Bergeron line versus spreading their defensive focus on 3+ lines.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Because they literally shut that line down last playoffs.
this.

In my mind b's didn't get all that much better, than last year, Chara is a year older, we still intend on putting out there Gryz, Krug full time - suicidal in the PO's, the rest of the move are lateral give or take.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Certainly not the Leafs. Multiple 3+ point games in round 1 for each of them

The Leafs are far more deep than Boston offensively. It will come down to defense. If the Leafs can baton down the hatches in their zone, I'd say they will eat Boston's lunch. Ottawa has proven that Boston ain't so bad in the playoffs.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Not sure I'd consider the following stat lines "shut down":

Bergeron: 5G/3A in 5 GP
Marchard: 1G/7A in 5 GP
Pasta: 1G/6A in 5 GP

And almost none of those points were scored 5 on 5.

5 on 5 scoring for the Bruins dried up. They were heavily reliant on the PP to keep them in games for that series.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

This.^

Tampa may have beaten the Bruins, but they certainly didn't do it by shutting down the Bergeron line.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia

This narrative that the first line was somehow shut down by Tampa is the strangest thing on HF, no the first line was not shut down in any way, lines 2-4 if I remember correctly did not score an ES goal in games 2-5 and that was the downfall of the team. Nothing to do with line 1.

The first line also outscored Tampa's line they were matching at ES by +2.

In no world did a whole line above PPG get shut down, it simply makes no sense lol.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
This narrative that the first line was somehow shut down by Tampa is the strangest thing on HF, no the first line was not shut down in any way, lines 2-4 if I remember correctly did not score an ES goal in games 2-5 and that was the downfall of the team. Nothing to do with line 1.

The first line also outscored Tampa's line they were matching at ES by +2.

In no world did a whole line above PPG get shut down, it simply makes no sense lol.

You're right, the "Point's line shut down Bergeron's line" narrative does have an error. The actual narrative is that Bergeron's line dominated in game 1, and then Point's line shut them down in games 2 through 5.

In game 1, Point was minus 5. He then went plus 7 over games 2 through 5, ending up plus 2 for the series. His regular linemates Johnson and Palat also ended up plus 2. I don't have the stats to say exactly who they scored their goals against, because I see Marchand and Bergeron ended up plus 2 as well (Pastrnak +1). But I know Point's line was mainly out there against Bergeron's.

In any case, the answer to this thread does seem to be "Tampa".

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
You're right, the "Point's line shut down Bergeron's line" narrative does have an error. The actual narrative is that Bergeron's line dominated in game 1, and then Point's line shut them down in games 2 through 5.

In game 1, Point was minus 5. He then went plus 7 over games 2 through 5, ending up plus 2 for the series. His regular linemates Johnson and Palat also ended up plus 2. I don't have the stats to say exactly who they scored their goals against, because I see Marchand and Bergeron ended up plus 2 as well (Pastrnak +1). But I know Point's line was mainly out there against Bergeron's.

I can't believe anyone could possibly think someone with 8 points in 5 games was shut down in any way, shape or form.

That's all i got lmfao, please take away my hockey fandom if I ever say Bergeron shut down a line that ended up all around 1.5PPG in the series.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City

From what I can remember, Point's line was not matched up with Bergeron's much after game 1 (or game 2?). I wish I knew a good resource for matchup info to confirm.

With that said, it's true that Bergeron's line was quiet at EV after game 1.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I can't believe anyone could possibly think someone with 8 points in 5 games was shut down in any way, shape or form.

That's all i got lmfao, please take away my hockey fandom if I ever say Bergeron shut down a line that ended up all around 1.5PPG in the series.
2 5 on 5 goals in games 2-5, both coming in game 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad