Who should we get rid of and who should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Not only Arnott, but Kariya approached Poile also

Did Kariya?

I thought I remembered something about how DP sent out Greg Johnson with a sales pitch?

I still think what we do tomorrow night with 3 picks in the first 46 will have a longer term impact that any overpaid schmoe that we sign and will probably regret sooner, rather than later.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I know they're just rumors right now, but LOTS of names starting to turn up in the trade market. Given Poile's latest track record, a trade may be the way to add a piece we need.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Ah yes, that glorious period from the draft to free agency begins tomorrow.

Prepare for disappointment.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I know they're just rumors right now, but LOTS of names starting to turn up in the trade market. Given Poile's latest track record, a trade may be the way to add a piece we need.

But most, if not all, names we really need are looking for strictly cup teams. Im not getting my hopes up, but I won't be surprised if a trade was made.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i would put money down that we're one of the teams going for spezza. as well as i can guarantee you we have showed interest in stastny. vanek has interest from 8-10 teams and id put good money we contacted him as well. now what are the chances we get one of those 3? really slim.. poile has a tough sell here but as someone else posted, that's his job. nashville is a great city with a good foundation on the back end and in goal. if he can't get the job done, we need to move on just as we did with the head coach this summer. i think a big problem with this organization is that we're never good enough to compete consistently for a cup and we're not bad enough to stock up on top picks. signing middle of the road free agents will keep us in the same spot we have been in since the start of this franchise. poile needs to stay away from the kulemins, grabvoskis, and even vrbatas. they do nothing for us but bring more of the same. save the cap space or go for the big fish.

Juneemoon

Oct 29, 2003
Visit site
I'm sure it's part of their pitch to potential players, but I didn't realize until last week there's no state tax in Tennessee. Apparently that makes a big difference in what they actually end up with.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'm sure it's part of their pitch to potential players, but I didn't realize until last week there's no state tax in Tennessee. Apparently that makes a big difference in what they actually end up with.

And yet time and time again it doesn't seem to make a difference in someone wanting to come here.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Yeah the difference isn't as great as you would think, as illustrated by this popular photo

fp0630_hockey_salaries-20-04-441.jpg

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Joshua Cooper of the Tennessean is pretty much worthless when it comes to any kind of information when it comes to the predators. we need a new beat writer. someone that can actually get poile to say something other than things any preds fan could already reasonably guess.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
However, what I was referring to was people ranting on a message board that Poile isn't talking face to face with people.
I don't care about meeting face to face.

This is what I was talking about:
“We’ve identified a handful of players we would like to approach on July 1.
Waiting until July 1 to approach players? I just don't understand why Poile wouldn't approach (and by approach I don't necessarily mean face to face, but just by some form of communication) these players during this new interview period (or whatever it's called) and just let them know we're interested. Maybe he is, it just sounds like he's waiting until July 1 to even tell players we're interested, which will probably be too late. That's my complaint.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Probably. But what else do we have to do during this dead time?

It's not like we really get any good info from the team or beat writers and lately we're usually in the "no trade" group. So I think we're all just trying to look for some kind of positive/hope that things are moving in the right direction.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Probably. But what else do we have to do during this dead time?

It's not like we really get any good info from the team or beat writers and lately we're usually in the "no trade" group. So I think we're all just trying to look for some kind of positive/hope that things are moving in the right direction.

But instead of looking for anything positive these boards seem to search for ways to twist any comment into a reason for panic and stress.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I just take the statement to mean that there are some players we will make offers too on the first day you can make an offer. I think people are trying to add to much to the statement. Nothing in that statement says they haven't contacted the agents just like every other team has been doing the last couple of days.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I think Fenton would be a better GM for us than Poile. He has more of a business-like approach and I don't think he'd assume a player's interest and would contact them regardless as a good businessman would.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
just because face to face meetings with agents aren't publicly occurring doesn't mean they, and phone calls aren't. Poile was in Vegas at the center of the NHL world. He is heading to Philly, the center of the NHL world. Where do you think the agents of top players are? Home eating Cheetos?

No, doritos. Much better class of chip. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad