Who should oilers go after in free agency

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
They wont have enough cap to go for any big names unless they get rid of Lucic, Sekera or Russell contract.

Carlsson and Green would be a nice addition if they could get them on a good contract. But its a pipe dream I think.

They need wingers. Think they would be better off picking up cheap wingers who could be productive.

Big names with big contracts not only do they tend to not work, but they end up hurting your team. Everyone should be aware of this as seen by the Lucic contract.

They really need a better back up goalie. I think they need to take a chance on a guy who has been a starter but is maybe having an off year (because they are going to need a value contract due to the cap).

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I was just looking at some stats and it seems like James Neal has cooled off a good bit after a torrid start which led to an All Star game nod. 7-9-16 in his last 29 games vs. 17-10-27 in his previous 37 games.

'17-18 66gp. 24-19-43 -4 185sog.
'16-17 70gp. 23-18-41 -10 202sog.

What could we sign him for if he decided to come here?

Yeah he really hasnt been great. He started hot but hasnt done much since the all-start break. I think its a buy beware contract. Someones going to overpay him.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
They wont have enough cap to go for any big names unless they get rid of Lucic, Sekera or Russell contract.

Carlsson and Green would be a nice addition if they could get them on a good contract. But its a pipe dream I think.

They need wingers. Think they would be better off picking up cheap wingers who could be productive.

Big names with big contracts not only do they tend to not work, but they end up hurting your team. Everyone should be aware of this as seen by the Lucic contract.

They really need a better back up goalie. I think they need to take a chance on a guy who has been a starter but is maybe having an off year (because they are going to need a value contract due to the cap).

I suspect Carlson is going to get paid big time. Just way too rich for us to afford.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Agreed. And based on his year he should get paid.

I would love for a trade that could land us OEL/Karlsson, but I doubt that as well. I have no faith in Chiarelli making good trades or signing players that won't be given bad deals with his damn candy giving NTC's.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I would love for a trade that could land us OEL/Karlsson, but I doubt that as well. I have no faith in Chiarelli making good trades or signing players that won't be given bad deals with his damn candy giving NTC's.

On paper OEL/Karlsson would be awesome.

Just no idea how a trade happens. Oilers have no depth at the NHL or AHL level. They would be creating holes by fixing holes imo.

Not to mention they dont really have the cap space to sign someone like Karlsson. Would be extremely difficult I think. They would need to probably get rid of both the Lucic and Sekera contracts, which both have nmc, and even if they waived them, I think it extremely hard to make it work.

That being said, I dont know how they fix this team. I think Management has to be patient and really focus on making good decisions. I think theres going to be a lot of panic and being short sighted to win now which makes the patient part very hard to pull off (in a canadian fan base and for a team with McDavid). They need to fix the Oilers/Bakersfield systems. I think there is some hope coming for the AHL system but its probably still a year or two away.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
On paper OEL/Karlsson would be awesome.

Just no idea how a trade happens. Oilers have no depth at the NHL or AHL level. They would be creating holes by fixing holes imo.

Not to mention they dont really have the cap space to sign someone like Karlsson. Would be extremely difficult I think. They would need to probably get rid of both the Lucic and Sekera contracts, which both have nmc, and even if they waived them, I think it extremely hard to make it work.

That being said, I dont know how they fix this team. I think Management has to be patient and really focus on making good decisions. I think theres going to be a lot of panic and being short sighted to win now which makes the patient part very hard to pull off (in a canadian fan base and for a team with McDavid). They need to fix the Oilers/Bakersfield systems. I think there is some hope coming for the AHL system but its probably still a year or two away.

It would be god sent if we could move Lucic and that putrid contract of his.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Carlson is the one I would move heaven and earth for. If signed as a free agent, nothing going back. Rich contract, but if you bring him in, someone has to go. Since Sekera and Russell aren't going anywhere this year, Klef is my first choice to clear some salary. The hope would be to get back some top rated prospect on the wing.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There's simply no room to sign most free agents of substance unless we can make Lucic/Sekera/Russell disappear. Chia will have to be pragmatic and sign cheap, short deals to tweener players.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I suspect that Klefbom will be much better next season, Sekera is the great unknown but by my eye seemed to be skating better in our last game. As for Green, I have no clue as to what the surgery entailed. If it was cleaning out some bone fragments then it likely won't affect him at all.

We need a point man that can shoot the puck hard and accurately as well as move the puck quickly and effectively to help on the PP and at ES. When healthy we have 2 guys that can pound the puck pretty hard in Bear and Klefbom. Ideally we could add at least one more guy that can shoot it. IMO Nurse could be that guy in time if he works on his accuracy and getting his shot off quicker. That said we are in desperate need of an offensive defenseman. Depending on where we draft our PP point man maybe coming from the draft.

I also noticed Sekera's skating improved last game. Then he was gone.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
I doubt Carlsson doesn't stay with WSH, and getting Karlsson is a pipe dream... so my likely guess for free agency is

Grabner and Green. Speedy winger that can PK and chip in goals, and RHD PP QB.

And possibly Davidson if we end up moving a dman out to make cap room, but i feel NYI are going to give him a nice deal with term to stay.

Not sure what's going to be available for a backup in UFA/Trade, could use something but at the same time a good backup is going to cost too much $$$ or assets. Montoya has been a pretty top end backup before this year so maybe he bounces back.

Ideally one of Sekera/Russel agrees to a trade if we are signing Green otherwise Klefbom is out

Nuge - McDavid - Poolparty/Rattie
Lucic - Drai - Grabner/Poolparty/Yammer/Rattie
Drake/Aberg - Strome - Grabner/Yammer/Rattie
Drake/Aberg - Khaira - Slepy/Kassian
(Either Slepy leaves or Kassian is traded for cap room)

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Green
Sekera/Russel - Russel/Benning/Bear

Talbot
Montoya/UFA/Trade

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Unless we are able to swing a deal for Karlsson or OEL, I really don’t think we are going to see major upgrades on D. We have salary tied into this group and I think management will give them a chance to bounce back, especially with them being healthier going into the offseason.

The only upgrade I can realistically see happening is we bring in a more offensive dmen to replace Benning on the bottom pairing and slot him on one of the PP units.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
1 year or value 2 year deals - they don't have room to make any other big free agent mistakes.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

$$$$$$$$$

Team with #1 dman looking for another #1 dman. The rich get richer. I would be shocked if Karlsson ends up with another Canadian team. He most likely will be traded to a Cali or Florida team.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Our goal should be to: 1. Hire a New GM 2. Get rid of bad contracts (Lucic, Russell, Sekera 3. Build through the draft 4. Once we have built solid prospect depth and are contenders we can make those extra trades at the deadline to put us over the top.
This is a long term plan now. The 3 year McDavid window has been wasted. And without step 1 coming to fruition, we will be lost in the desert.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We have no money to sign any free agent that will make an impact and we have no solid trade resources to improve. this team is F'd. the only hope is for all the guys who had career years last year to have career years next year.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Find a center who can PK and win faceoffs.

That's our biggest free agency need and about all we can afford. Shouldn't be too hard.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We have no money to sign any free agent that will make an impact and we have no solid trade resources to improve. this team is F'd. the only hope is for all the guys who had career years last year to have career years next year.
Well I mean I guess it's time to just write off next season, seems like a reasonable tack to take.

So if that's the case, the team either might want to keep all the current management and coaching staff, because next season is finished already or, conversely, just fire everyone, go with basically no one (because it's not fair to saddle them with another failed season) wait for the season to end as expected then hire someone assuming that that next season isn't also a write off.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
UFAs on cheap deals...this team has cap problems and zero depth in the prospect department

does Mike Green take a 1-year deal?
that would solve our PP problem IMO

still need a winger...Vanek?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad