Who should oilers go after in free agency

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
The thing is that Green's last contract was for 3 years. He is now coming off of a cervical spine surgery. Is he really a guy that can ask for a 5+ year deal right now? He might be the best fit for us and due to his injury we maybe able to get him a little cheaper than he otherwise would've cost or at least on a shorter term.

If you go by those free agent rankings, he is the second best defenseman available. The thing that happens on July 1 is that teams start throwing stupid money and term on guys especially when it comes to d-men. If for some reason you can get him at a reasonable price and term then great but I would not get into a bidding war over him and that is what I fear Chiarelli will end up doing in desperation.

Realistically, McDavid is the QB on the powerplay. All I want from our d-men on the powerplay is guys who can shoot the puck and hit the net on a consistent basis. This gives McDavid more options when he is dishing the puck cause right now our d-men are essentially useless on the powerplay. So, who else is free agent d-man that can shoot the puck consistently other than Green?

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
If you go by those free agent rankings, he is the second best defenseman available. The thing that happens on July 1 is that teams start throwing stupid money and term on guys especially when it comes to d-men. If for some reason you can get him at a reasonable price and term then great but I would not get into a bidding war over him and that is what I fear Chiarelli will end up doing in desperation.

Realistically, McDavid is the QB on the powerplay. All I want from our d-men on the powerplay is guys who can shoot the puck and hit the net on a consistent basis. This gives McDavid more options when he is dishing the puck cause right now our d-men are essentially useless on the powerplay. So, who else is free agent d-man that can shoot the puck consistently other than Green?
John Carlson only other d-man worth getting but he would come at a cost to great for the oilers without giving up salary elsewhere. Or go with what we have and wait till next yrs free agency where there are more options available

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Only problem I have with signing green is how will he do coming off his surgery? We have sekera who didn't play up to his capabilities after his injury and now klefbom who wasn't himself this year and ended up needed to shut his season down. Would hate having 3 d-men next season all having issues do to there injuries

I suspect that Klefbom will be much better next season, Sekera is the great unknown but by my eye seemed to be skating better in our last game. As for Green, I have no clue as to what the surgery entailed. If it was cleaning out some bone fragments then it likely won't affect him at all.

We need a point man that can shoot the puck hard and accurately as well as move the puck quickly and effectively to help on the PP and at ES. When healthy we have 2 guys that can pound the puck pretty hard in Bear and Klefbom. Ideally we could add at least one more guy that can shoot it. IMO Nurse could be that guy in time if he works on his accuracy and getting his shot off quicker. That said we are in desperate need of an offensive defenseman. Depending on where we draft our PP point man maybe coming from the draft.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Russell may have been for too long a term. Money was fine.

Russell has certainly been worth $4M this season.

I like Russell as well. He sacrificed his body countless times.
One player who is a RFA s Anthisou fella in Detroit. Speed to burn. He is C but probably be converted to a winger

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I'm in the D boat. As in pay for Green or whoever in that category (providing he is pretty much the same Green post surgery) 5-6 mil for 2 years max somehow until better options available or Bear / someone else is more ready for role.
As for forwards, I like what I see from Aberg, Rattie is not hurting the first line, so those are two positives so far. On my Oiler team, Kharia, Kassian, Cagguila, and Strome always have spots when they're working. I believe coaching and politics will hopefully be solved by next year to alleviate some issues.

I have a question for you knowledgables. What's wrong with Malone as a cheap third line centre option? Too old? Too slow? Pissed somebody off? I thought he showed well the times he was called up.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I was thinking maybe 2 years is too short, but he'll start next season 33 years old. Still, he'd probably insist on 3 years, or even 4, and he'd probably get it since the league is going towards offensive D.

I'd actually be okay with 4 years, if the last two years had no NMC and it was front loaded. That could drag down the AAV while giving Green some long term stability

(5.25 AAV) That's reasonable considering Shatty took 6.6 AAV
No way you give Green 4 yrs

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
That would be neat, but Nash seems to be doing too well in Boston to make that possible, considering that the Staal contract came after he was basically a dud for Carolina and New York that year.
Nash is doing better in Boston than Staal did with the Rangers, but it's not like he's knocking it out of the park either. I don't think it's crazy to think he'll end up with a 3-4 year deal in the $4-4.5M range this summer.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
I would take a look at some short contracts for

Rantaa
Komarov
Grabner

I expect at least one decent sized trade this offseason.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Oilers sign Tavares then trade drai for s.aho and a draft then trade nuge for Gallagher and a draft.
You heard it here first haha

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
Not sure but the strategy is wait late and buy cheap. Usually a few guys fall down to bargain prices on one year deals. That's what I see us doing short term regardless of position.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Told you guys Raanta was not happening. Arizona is offering him a 4-year deal at $4.5 per.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I would take a look at some short contracts for

Rantaa
Komarov
Grabner

I expect at least one decent sized trade this offseason.
Komarov is an interesting option that had yet to be mentioned. It'll be interesting to see the kind of market he has this summer and where his cap hit ultimately lands.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Chris Wideman. He was a little banged up this year, but he's a RHD can bring a bit of offense and puck moving, help out in the bottom-3 defensemen.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Mike Green on a short term deal, or even a very cap friendly long term deal, would be really ideal. We really need a guy like him on the pp.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Raanta has been one of the best goalies in the league for the last three months or so. I would gladly take him over Talbot going into next year. I still think a Talbot+ for Holtby trade might make sense for both teams, as the Caps seem to have given the starting job to Grubauer down the stretch and will need some cap space for Carlson. If Antoine Roussel could be signed for around 1.5M with 2-3 year term I'd be interested.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Vanek is a guy we should look at. He produces points consistently, would b cheap and I think he would do pretty well with a guy like Drai.

Another guy that I hope we target is Sheary. Not a UFA signing but I think he could slot into our top 6 nicely and might become available for draft picks.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was mostly kidding.

But at the same time, signing a ~$1 million veteran, bottom six forward that can kill penalties and chip in some goals probably would be a good idea for this team.

He would have been good to keep, only because we'd get shafted on a buy out and he would have provided some minimal relief instead of using the kids. But now that he's gone, no, I don't want him back here again. He still has a few more teams he needs to play on, with one year contracts, to complete the cycle of playing for about a dozen teams.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
A right shot PP denfceman is by far our biggest need. Our forward core when fully healthy needs help on the wings but there is lots of options available in free agency that won’t break the bank. We got 4 duos that we can run on each line, we just need to fill in the blanks on the wing.

RNH-Mcdavid-xxx
Xxx-Draisaitl-JP
Lucic-Strome-xxx
Xxx-Khaira-xxx

If Thr team plans to bring back Maroon you put him with Mcdavid and RNH with Draisaitl. Find a fast winger that likes to shoot for Mcdavids RW.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Vanek is a guy we should look at. He produces points consistently, would b cheap and I think he would do pretty well with a guy like Drai.

Another guy that I hope we target is Sheary. Not a UFA signing but I think he could slot into our top 6 nicely and might become available for draft picks.

I agree with the Vanek proposal. The guy still has a set of mitts, and his skating hasn't dropped off of a cliff yet. As long as it's a one year deal, not one of these crazy 3-4 year NTC contracts Chia seems to give out like candy.

Reactions: McIce Whole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad