Who should oilers go after in free agency

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
mike green I guess

but that's a tricky one. If we get him, it might make going after Karlsson or OEL much harder. Green would want decent cash, term, and a NMC I'm sure.

What helps us is that in the year that OEL and Karlsson go UFA (or when their extensions kick in if we get either of them), the NTCs on Sekera and Russell loosen up

So maybe we could have a blueline with Green and a major other addition

Reactions: dreamcomehere

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Just look for short and cheap contracts. A backup goalie and some bottom six players. Raanta or Khudobin as a 1b that could possibly overtake Talbot. I’d consider Green on a 2 year deal if the price was right.

Reactions: dreamcomehere

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Aho still has 1 year left of his ELC and already putting up higher points than RNH ever has... you really think CAR would go for that?
That's why said add pieces if needed. I know Carolina needs centers I realize it's not happening. But I think it be worth looking into who knows maybe for once we could win a trade

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
mike green I guess

but that's a tricky one. If we get him, it might make going after Karlsson or OEL much harder. Green would want decent cash, term, and a NMC I'm sure.

What helps us is that in the year that OEL and Karlsson go UFA (or when their extensions kick in if we get either of them), the NTCs on Sekera and Russell loosen up

So maybe we could have a blueline with Green and a major other addition
Would likely have to give up klefbom and prospects and drafts to aquire them and I'm not sure if we want to give up on klefbom yet for possibly only one yr of service unless we know before the trade there willing to extend there contracts with us

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Would likely have to give up klefbom and prospects and drafts to aquire them and I'm not sure if we want to give up on klefbom yet for possibly only one yr of service unless we know before the trade there willing to extend there contracts with us
the rise of Nurse gives us that option though. Klefbom is expendable now. If Klef doesn't hold as much value as last season, then we could trade Nurse. I know we are so used to starving for talent on the back end, but if a surplus is emerging back there, we can part with an 'untradeable' player, especially if we are getting a D back for a D.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
the rise of Nurse gives us that option though. Klefbom is expendable now. If Klef doesn't hold as much value as last season, then we could trade Nurse. I know we are so used to starving for talent on the back end, but if a surplus is emerging back there, we can part with an 'untradeable' player, especially if we are getting a D back for a D.
I agree and I would be willing to give up klefbom if we were to receive oel in return ( I'd prefer him and what he would cost compared to karlsson ) but only if oel was willing to resign with us because I think what we would give up to aquire him for one yrs service would be to much. Were talking pc in charge of trades.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I only suggested that going after jvr if we were able to pull off a trade like Rnh for Aho that would free up the money to aquire jvr

and in 12 months time Aho will be asking for 6 to 8 mill and JVR will be looking for the same---so we have one year of savings and then we are in trouble for now having two guys on 6 to 8 and not just one

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just look for short and cheap contracts. A backup goalie and some bottom six players. Raanta or Khudobin as a 1b that could possibly overtake Talbot. I’d consider Green on a 2 year deal if the price was right.
I was thinking maybe 2 years is too short, but he'll start next season 33 years old. Still, he'd probably insist on 3 years, or even 4, and he'd probably get it since the league is going towards offensive D.

I'd actually be okay with 4 years, if the last two years had no NMC and it was front loaded. That could drag down the AAV while giving Green some long term stability

(5.25 AAV) That's reasonable considering Shatty took 6.6 AAV

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
and in 12 months time Aho will be asking for 6 to 8 mill and JVR will be looking for the same---so we have one year of savings and then we are in trouble for now having two guys on 6 to 8 and not just one
A lot would depend on how much cap goes up reports are could go as high as 82 mil next yr and possibly over 85 mil yr after that. Moves would need to be made obviously sekera nmc becomes modified after next yr. I realize pc has put us in this position with his past contracts but with cap gong up and the right moves made I don't think we're as bad as we think

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
A lot would depend on how much cap goes up reports are could go as high as 82 mil next yr and possibly over 85 mil yr after that. Moves would need to be made obviously sekera nmc becomes modified after next yr. I realize pc has put us in this position with his past contracts but with cap gong up and the right moves made I don't think we're as bad as we think

relying on the cap always going up by 5+ a year is a dangerous game to play

many people including myself are predicting a problem when the current CBA ends in 2 years time

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
relying on the cap always going up by 5+ a year is a dangerous game to play

many people including myself are predicting a problem when the current CBA ends in 2 years time
I agree it's a dangerous game and one pc has put us in. Bringing on salaries such as jvr would require the cap going up or other contracts going out like nuge because unfortunately lucic isn't going anywhere. Or stick with what we have for next few yrs let cap go up and develop through drafts and prospects.

The CBA will defiantly be a problem just like the past 4 CBA a lockout will happen question is how long will this one last

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I don't think we'll be adding any big name FA's.

Nurse will get paid, all the UFA's will walk (maybe Rattie stays), Caggiula & Benning will get minimal raises, Slepy walks, Strome signs a 3 year ext at 2.75 hit.

Oilers will plug Yamamoto into the lineup (cuz Oilers).....

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Caggiula-Strome-Aberg
Pakarinen-Khaira-Kassian

Not what I'd do but basically what I expect.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Few names I like. Ok more than a few.
Komarov,Vanek,Nash(Rick),Kovalchuk,Perron,Maroon,Roussel,Kunitz,Nash(Riley),Ryan,Lehtonen,Raanta,Carlson

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
Hopefully none of the top free agents available cause it seems you're shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to term. UFA's are not the way to build a team that has big holes. You pick up guys on the cheap that can maybe redeem themselves not a guy like Mike Green who will demand top dollar and term. Might be fun for a year or two but then everyone will be complaining just like with Lucic.

So, guys like Vanek, Hornqvist, Grabner, Komarov, even somehow convincing the returning Kovalchuk that hey, take a 1 year prove it you still got it contract and play with McDavid for a season and pump up your value and cash in next year would be an option.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Rick Nash on a deal similar to what Eric Staal got with Minnesota.
That would be neat, but Nash seems to be doing too well in Boston to make that possible, considering that the Staal contract came after he was basically a dud for Carolina and New York that year.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Mike Green please. We have to get a power play quarterback. It's beyond pathetic that Ethan Bear is our most threatening offensive weapon from the blueline, and Bear needs more time to work on his skating/defensive positioning.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Green will want 6 mill x 2 years to come here i think. You probably have to dump Strome to make that work for futures.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
What's wrong with people in here. Why would you even think of going after Vanek unless it's a 1 year 800,000 contract. Waste of roster space for one of our younger wingers, vanek does not make us faster, does not make us better moving forward, and will have minimal impact winning us hockey games. A couple of goal scoring surges a year is what you will see then long stretches of slow prodding useless hockey from him.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
What's wrong with people in here. Why would you even think of going after Vanek unless it's a 1 year 800,000 contract. Waste of roster space for one of our younger wingers, vanek does not make us faster, does not make us better moving forward, and will have minimal impact winning us hockey games. A couple of goal scoring surges a year is what you will see then long stretches of slow prodding useless hockey from him.
Vanek does have 55 points...not suggesting we should throw a multi year deal or tons of cash his way, but we desperately need that type of production from someone other than Nuge on the wings. I'm not sure that he would be blocking future greatness if he took minutes from guys like Caggiula, Slepy, Aberg, Rattie anyway...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hopefully none of the top free agents available cause it seems you're shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to term. UFA's are not the way to build a team that has big holes. You pick up guys on the cheap that can maybe redeem themselves not a guy like Mike Green who will demand top dollar and term. Might be fun for a year or two but then everyone will be complaining just like with Lucic.

So, guys like Vanek, Hornqvist, Grabner, Komarov, even somehow convincing the returning Kovalchuk that hey, take a 1 year prove it you still got it contract and play with McDavid for a season and pump up your value and cash in next year would be an option.

The thing is that Green's last contract was for 3 years. He is now coming off of a cervical spine surgery. Is he really a guy that can ask for a 5+ year deal right now? He might be the best fit for us and due to his injury we maybe able to get him a little cheaper than he otherwise would've cost or at least on a shorter term.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
The thing is that Green's last contract was for 3 years. He is now coming off of a cervical spine surgery. Is he really a guy that can ask for a 5+ year deal right now? He might be the best fit for us and due to his injury we maybe able to get him a little cheaper than he otherwise would've cost or at least on a shorter term.
Only problem I have with signing green is how will he do coming off his surgery? We have sekera who didn't play up to his capabilities after his injury and now klefbom who wasn't himself this year and ended up needed to shut his season down. Would hate having 3 d-men next season all having issues do to there injuries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad