Who should oilers go after in free agency

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Find a center who can PK and win faceoffs.

That's our biggest free agency need and about all we can afford. Shouldn't be too hard.

Anton lander was that player, too bad that ship has sailed. Say what you want about him not being able to convert his ahl scoring prowess to the nhl the guy was a good face off man and a good penalty killer and cheap.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well I mean I guess it's time to just write off next season, seems like a reasonable tack to take.

So if that's the case, the team either might want to keep all the current management and coaching staff, because next season is finished already or, conversely, just fire everyone, go with basically no one (because it's not fair to saddle them with another failed season) wait for the season to end as expected then hire someone assuming that that next season isn't also a write off.

What moves do you suggest we make?

What cap space do we have to get players that will legit make a difference?

What trading chips do we have that we can use to get an impact player and not weaken us elsewhere?

i anxiously await your response.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Anton lander was that player, too bad that ship has sailed. Say what you want about him not being able to convert his ahl scoring prowess to the nhl the guy was a good face off man and a good penalty killer and cheap.

Totally agree. I bet if he was a RHS he would still be in the NHL. I'd take him back.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What moves do you suggest we make?

What cap space do we have to get players that will legit make a difference?

What trading chips do we have that we can use to get an impact player and not weaken us elsewhere?

i anxiously await your response.
Ok so want all the players gone, but for free with no consequences? Well that's not going to be a thing that happens, but there are options.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/143990201/

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I agree I hoped he would replace Letestu eventually. What’s his deal? Do we hold his rights and what’s his contract status in the K?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well you put lots of thought into that which is nice but the VAST majority of those are laughably optimistic. imo.
I guess that's based on the assumption that everything already over for next season. I fail to see how they're overly optimistic in the slightest, the Oilers are give up a ton of very good assets to make these deals work

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
We have no money to sign any free agent that will make an impact and we have no solid trade resources to improve. this team is F'd. the only hope is for all the guys who had career years last year to have career years next year.
We should have about 5 mil cap space to spend on a free agent. It's not a lot I admit but should be enough to maybe get someone like green for a yr or two

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Derek Ryan is a good fit but he might be pricing himself out of the Oilers range. He's RH, kills penalties, 57% on the dot, and has almost 40 points this year in a bottom 6 role for the Canes.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Word is there is essentially no chance Carlson signs in Canada. Not surprising.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Time to pull this thread out of the archives. Trade deadline has passed and we were silent. Obvious to see we need to acquire some wingers, last year we tried going with the likes of Rattie, Rieder, Aberg, Cags and the like, didn’t work worth a damn. Some decent UFA’s to look at for this summer, let some of the dead weight walk and the cap rises 2-3M. Guys I look at include Nyqvist, Nelson, Panik, Donskoi, Ennis, Sheary and Ferland. If we move Nuge to the wing we could take a stab at Henrique, Hayes, Dzingel, Filppula and Brassard. We definitely don’t want to rush too many guys from Bakersfield so we’ll need a proven guy or maybe two if we can make it work under the cap... Thoughts?

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
More Kevin Gravel’s/Alex Chiasson’s less Milan Lucic’s/Kris Russell’s. Team needs to be built from draft and trades not long term contracts that hand cuff us even more.

We do have to be careful about giving long-term contracts, but I don't see a problem with giving a guy like Johansson or Donskoi a 2 year, 3ish million deal. It would help our depth like crazy.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I agree I hoped he would replace Letestu eventually. What’s his deal? Do we hold his rights and what’s his contract status in the K?
I don't think we hold his rights any more. I cannot find his name anywhere in relation to the Oilers even though I thought we qualified when he left in 2017 (I could be wrong about that).

His contract with AK Bars is expiring this summer and he has already said that he won't be talking about or looking for any extensions until the season is over. Right now he is focusing on the upcoming playoffs and to defend the title from last year.

Edit: didn't realise I was replying to posts from last year :laugh:

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Zuccarello and maybe a bottom 6 forward and that's it.
There isn't going to be a d-man that's good enough to fix our rear that we'll be able to afford so don't bother.
Hopkins-McDavid
Drai-Zuccarello
Looks much better.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
More Kevin Gravel’s/Alex Chiasson’s less Milan Lucic’s/Kris Russell’s. Team needs to be built from draft and trades not long term contracts that hand cuff us even more.
We have no trade bait. Unless we deal Nuge, Larsson, Nurse or Bouchard and create more holes. Hoping guys on the farm can jump up is the same problem we had this year. Yam and Puli were penciled in to help and look how that went. We need some proven NHL talent and FA is the only way it’s going to happen. I look at Nyqvist, SJ likely won’t be able to re-sign him. Panik is another, decent player and affordable

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Oilers should stay far away from UFA signings. It's not how to build a team.
See Sekera, Lucic and Russell if you need more evidence

Reactions: Apathetic

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
We will try for some of the UFAs and balk at their asking prices, and realize that this will cause more cap problems. We sign Eberle at a fair and affordable term and salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad