Post-Game Talk: Who Needs Moar Goals? - Jets Win 1-0

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The Canucks had one high danger chance in sixty minutes of hockey. As for regular scoring chances, six in sixty minutes.

Some teams have a sub-optimal offense. Others may be completely devoid of talent up front. I don't know how to even describe Vancouver.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I don't know if you noticed but Helle is crazy good.

He is also crazy for not covering up there.

(Dumb pass by Wheeler and half-assed effort by Laine getting back, but other than that they were really good)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Strong win. I'm happy that this team is learning to win multiple ways. You can't always 5-2 So I'll take the low scoring wins.

Helle was terrific.

JoMo and Trouba with another nice game against the Canucks best.

Myers and Kuli where solid.

I'm not liking the Buff Toby pairing, they are quite often finding themselves in the negative side of the possesson battle. Both have some more to give.

Laine with a terrific game, I really like his play when he moves his feet. Also really like that he is hanging out in the red zone more. Wheeler with a much better game. Connor was meh.

PEL was excellent, just weren't able to finish tonight.

Copp and Armia where very stong. Tanev was meh.

Roslovic and Dano with real good games. Hendricks was solid.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Great game!

Really liked how Laine protected the puck with his body, he seemed very hard to knock the puck out from. The physicality is emerging! Once he can do that every night he'll be a total beast.
I actually noted that his skating looked really good in the previous game and now he used his body very differently, so he's levelling up :)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Only in this board with buff giving about 20 opportunities to opponent, some one can blame Chiarot who is not dressed.
Don't know how you got that out of what i posted , only on this board can people only see what they want to see when it comes to Buff . And no he didn't give Vancouver 20 opportunities but some people are convinced that he did no matter what . :shakehead:tmi:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I was at this one, and in better seats than I usually manage -- better view, but quieter crowd down there. It was a fun game to be at, and more exciting than the score suggested, IMO. Thought the Jets dominated the first and third and most of the second, and their speed and creativity frequently overwhelmed a tired-looking Canucks team. Puck was bouncing like crazy all night -- Ehlers's missed once-timer from the right was a bouncing, rolling puck, and it seemed to be skipping and hopping over sticks pretty regularly. There was also what looked like a loose transom in the corner where we were sitting, which I haven't noticed at MTS before.

Some quick additional notes, with apologies if these are redundant:
- Roslo looked good, smart and aggressive, with a few really good defensive plays also in the neutral zone. He and Dano seemed to mesh really well -- Hendy was fine, but was the odd man out I thought, in terms of speed and skill
- Armia was solid but looked a bit off the pace at times. Should have been a penalty called on his near-breakaway. He made some key plays to relieve pressure in his own end. Copp was having some trouble with the bouncing puck -- one play where he swung and missed two times in a row, right in front of us, and was really pissed afterwards
- Buff was a mix of good and bad Buff -- a few dodgy pinches and leisurely returns but some smart D also and one terrific pass up the middle that only he makes. He can be a seriously inventive player as a passer as well as a skater.
- Toby and Kuli both made several potentially goal-saving plays, and Toby also got himself into trouble a few times in the corner where he outthought himself
- Myers is one hell of a forechecker. We were surprised to see him in the corners and behind the net, but JMo was in there too a few times, and Kuli, and it seems to be part of how the Jets activate their D. Risky, but fun to watch
- MP85 was everywhere. Victim of that ol' bouncing puck a few times, and made a few plays that were beautiful to watch but arguably a pass too many, but he is so smart on the forecheck and had at least three takeaways that led to chances. Feel like Petan and even Roslo -- and all other super-skilled but "undersized" players -- should spend their evenings watching tape of Perrault. He may be the Jets most important player after Helle and sometimes Wheels night in and out
- On Wheels -- he made a few plays that that made Connor's giveaway look safe. Pass to the Canucks' floating winger, back checking his team-mate...failing to distribute from the half-wall He looked gassed out there to me, and during the 6 on 4 was one-handing his stick with the other on his knee, maybe working off a shot-block, but looked to me like sheer exhaustion. Feel like he needs a break from carrying a pair of kids
- Connor had some great plays, esp zone entries, and a few gaspers. The last penalty was on him, IMO -- his team-mates pretty clearly had no idea what he was doing. That extra Ehlers-loop should be left to Ehlers.
- Laine had a great game. He was more aggressive on the forecheck than I'd seen before, seemed more committed in the D-zone despite the odd fluff and/or giveaway, and made some of the game's best passes. He looks much more confident out there and looks to be maturing into the game-breaker we hoped for. It took Wheeler until his late 20s to get to where Laine is already. Should have had 2 or 3 tonight -- and would have had 2 if Connor had passed instead of shot
- Helle was excellent
- Tanev was in full dervish mod, then settled down
- JMo made one mistake, all game, that I could see. Outstanding, as was Trouba, who had one of his best games all season IMO

All in all, these Jets look for real. They can play with speed, they can shut things down and close out as game, they can make jaw-dropping plays from just about anywhere, and they can swarm like a pack of spring squirrels. I don't think they get past a healthy Nashville in 7, but I like their chances against most other teams, and if they can get and stay healthy and PoMo is forced to play some other goalie for a game or two to keep Helle fresh, they can go far.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I really hope Maurice has realized how much more effective Little and Laine are when they are not together.

Laine's game just doesn't match up with Little's, Perreault has made that line so much better.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Would have probably been a penalty if he covered.

Good point. I did not know this rule. Although one could argue he was being checked by Granlund I guess?

67.3 Minor Penalty – Goalkeeper - A goalkeeper who holds the puck with his hands for longer than three seconds shall be given a minor penalty unless he is actually being checked by an opponent. The object of this entire rule is to keep the puck in play continuously and any action taken by the goalkeeper which causes an unnecessary stoppage must be penalized without warning.

A goalkeeper shall be assessed a minor penalty when he deliberately holds the puck in any manner which, in the opinion of the Referee, causes an unnecessary stoppage of play.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Good point. I did not know this rule. Although one could argue he was being checked by Granlund I guess?

67.3 Minor Penalty – Goalkeeper - A goalkeeper who holds the puck with his hands for longer than three seconds shall be given a minor penalty unless he is actually being checked by an opponent. The object of this entire rule is to keep the puck in play continuously and any action taken by the goalkeeper which causes an unnecessary stoppage must be penalized without warning.

A goalkeeper shall be assessed a minor penalty when he deliberately holds the puck in any manner which, in the opinion of the Referee, causes an unnecessary stoppage of play.

Example:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
What I love about Roslovic is that he gets it. He gets his role.

Remember the Maurice comment about Petan and how if he's going to play on the fourth line he needs to figure out how to be effective with the reduced minutes.

Roslovic is doing just that. He looks more comfortable in that role.
I was thinking the same thing. He's on the fourth line and he's all in. He's very much like MP in that way. I think Roslovic will accept and excel at any role given to him. I hope he sticks around.

He's much faster than I thought previously as well.

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
Another two points w/o Schiefs and Lowry that what's important.
Bucky is just excellent. Not sure what people like so much about Dano's game. Didn't like big Buff , probably our worst player on ice y-day. Connor didn't pass for a sure goal and then got not a necessary penalty. But still I didn't mind his game overall

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I was thinking the same thing. He's on the fourth line and he's all in. He's very much like MP in that way. I think Roslovic will accept and excel at any role given to him. I hope he sticks around.

He's much faster than I thought previously as well.

Roslo is a lot more noticable 5 on 5 with (... umm... I'll be mean and call them) scrubs than Petan ever was. He does have to learn to not pass the puck to Hendricks though, lol.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Roslo is a lot more noticable 5 on 5 with (... umm... I'll be mean and call them) scrubs than Petan ever was. He does have to learn to not pass the puck to Hendricks though, lol.
I can imagine how Roslovic would look with some more talented players.

Unfortunately (Fortunately?) our top 6/9 is getting pretty crowded :)

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Watching the game, I was trying to figure out which players are Vancouver's #1/2 D? Was Tanev on their first pair?

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
The guy next to me at the games calls Frenchie "yard sale" since he plays like hes having a fire sale on his limbs hahahaha.
Its caught on and now a bunch of us all call him that.... our security girl says we are all Pejorative Slured lol

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I can imagine how Roslovic would look with some more talented players.

Unfortunately (Fortunately?) our top 6/9 is getting pretty crowded :)
i'm quite fine with PoMo's philosophy to bring rookies in slowly. so far, it's worked for Roslovic. Lower pressure situations and he's gradually picking up on the game. PP time and 4th line time and that equalled over 11 min of icetime yesterday. that's 3 more minutes than Dano or Hendricks.
Roslovic doesn't really deserve more ice time or "better" linesmates just yet. the Hendricks conundrum may end up biting us in the butt come playoff time...even then, i'm not sure (game will slow down and get grittier).

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
i'm quite fine with PoMo's philosophy to bring rookies in slowly. so far, it's worked for Roslovic. Lower pressure situations and he's gradually picking up on the game. PP time and 4th line time and that equalled over 11 min of icetime yesterday. that's 3 more minutes than Dano or Hendricks.
Roslovic doesn't really deserve more ice time or "better" linesmates just yet. the Hendricks conundrum may end up biting us in the butt come playoff time...even then, i'm not sure (game will slow down and get grittier).

I actually think we'll have the most benefit of Hendricks come playoff time.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Did you watch the game??? There should have been right defenseman taking care of defense, but both where on bench.

That's not how it works at higher levels. Players rotate. Connor rotated up, Buff rotates down. Myers does it as does Trouba, and everyone else. It is no longer teaching pre-teens to stay at the blue line on their side. If Buff stays there, then Connor can't pass to him. Buff has to move because Connor is moving.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I agree that there is no hurry and that he is getting plenty of NHL time/experience. I think the fact that our fourth line is getting minutes is great for the team, and finally great for breaking in new young players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad