Post-Game Talk: Who Needs Moar Goals? - Jets Win 1-0

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Not worried about the goal production whatsoever. Sometimes they come, sometimes not. The offense has been there.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
That's not how it works at higher levels. Players rotate. Connor rotated up, Buff rotates down. Myers does it as does Trouba, and everyone else. It is no longer teaching pre-teens to stay at the blue line on their side. If Buff stays there, then Connor can't pass to him. Buff has to move because Connor is moving.
This, you could watch video of that game and see this happening possibly once or twice a shift ffs. take a look at Enstrom on the sequence just before Laine's goal, he's down at the face off circle a couple of times. Trouba was down by the goal crease numerous times when a forward carried the puck back up high, all of them do it because that it how you play, this isn't 7/8 House League.

What was Myers doing on the Wheeler turnover to Granlund? Why was Laine at the point? Kulikov was playing at the blue line, why wasn't he in position to stop that play? Maybe because the turnover was right through the middle, in the gap between where the D typically space themselves

The funniest part about blaming Buff for the Conor turnover is it was less likely to result in a very good scoring chance anyway, way less of a chance than the Wheeler pass. All the Buff haters fail to notice Wheeler heading to the bench for a change well before Buff rotated low, which meant Little was trailing the play coming off the bench. Enstrom was also tracking back across, if Connor doesn't hook Sutter at worst it's a 3v3 with Connor watching the trailer. Had nothing to do with Buff at all. In truth, Connor should have given him the puck, it's what Buff was expecting, rightfully so.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
There was nothing Buff could have done with that Connor turnover. Buff does decide to skate forward when he also could have stayed stationary at the blueline. Connor was not looking to replace Buff, but was looking to cut to the center. Buff pinched where maybe he shouldn't have.

That being said, there was no way Buff was making any difference on that play anyway. Connor makes a cut to the center right next to the center blueline and that's it. A stationary Buff is not catching that in any case.

Reactions: Ducky10

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Roslo is a lot more noticable 5 on 5 with (... umm... I'll be mean and call them) scrubs than Petan ever was. He does have to learn to not pass the puck to Hendricks though, lol.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
- Connor had some great plays, esp zone entries, and a few gaspers. The last penalty was on him, IMO -- his team-mates pretty clearly had no idea what he was doing. That extra Ehlers-loop should be left to Ehlers.

I rarely yell at people on TV, cause I know they won't hear me most of the time, but Connor unleashed my inner Sam Kinison on that stupid play. I would have sent him back to the Moose in that moment. Talk about a...

tumblr_ok6216yL8l1rzbj5mo1_500.gif

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I actually managed to catch this game (stupid work getting in the way) and anyone else think that Ehlers couldve had a couple goals last night? The last few games he has been flying and having good chances but seems to be snake bitten :(. Also Laines skating looks so effortless for a big guy. If you compare him to a guy like Armia (not as big but still) you can tell Armia is putting in an effort whereas Laine gets the same speed and looks like hes just out for a leisurely skate.

suihkukone

Mar 12, 2017
Denmark
I actually managed to catch this game (stupid work getting in the way) and anyone else think that Ehlers couldve had a couple goals last night? The last few games he has been flying and having good chances but seems to be snake bitten :(. Also Laines skating looks so effortless for a big guy. If you compare him to a guy like Armia (not as big but still) you can tell Armia is putting in an effort whereas Laine gets the same speed and looks like hes just out for a leisurely skate.

Yup, they should introduce couple of mongoose (mongeese?) to the locker room because the whole team is snake bitten. And yes, Ehlers looked particularly flying last night. I have a theory that he looks so fast because he never stops skating, he's like a shark. He also knows to use his speed wisely and sparingly (more to offense, less to defense).
I don't quite get what you say about Laine's skating speed as a big guy. Don't big guys usually look more effortless at same speed?

Reactions: Evil Little

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
That first place should really come with an astrix as we are one point up on Nashville and played 3 games more.
Games in hand mean nothing ... that tells me Nashville has had a nice schedule because the Jets just had a week off. Before the season ends they will make up those 3 games and lets hope it comes at the end of the season so they are tired come playoffs.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
2nd place in the central is pretty great too.
ANY place that puts us in the playoffs is really f***ing great.
let's not sugar coat it.

the best part?
we, as fans, know that there have been lots of flaws with the team.
-inconsistent play by Ehlers
-lack of scoring by Buff
-lack of non-powerplay goals from Laine
-Little looked subpar for a solid stretch
-slow start to the power play
-horrible penalty killing to start the season
-average road record

that, and having 2 of our top 3 centres out for a stretch and you have to be really optimistic where this team can finish the year. you have to think that the Jets are going to get better as the year goes on.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I haven't been able to watch the game yet on replay as I was there with my kids, but I think it's interesting that the Connor turnover is what generated some discussion on Buff. I seem to remember a play I think it was closer to the 5 or 6 minutes left in the 3rd mark where he made a bad call on a pinch at the blue line that led to an odd man rush. Am I mis-remembering? That one seemed more egregious as he had no one back on that pinch, and it's those decisions when were up by a goal near the end of the game that should be eliminated. Not that he didn't have a good game overall, but that play stood out to me more than the Connor one.

Ehlers has been flying lately. It's not just the wealth of chances he's had, but how much he creates for others and how much space his speed creates. He and MP seem to be playing well together lately.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I haven't been able to watch the game yet on replay as I was there with my kids, but I think it's interesting that the Connor turnover is what generated some discussion on Buff. I seem to remember a play I think it was closer to the 5 or 6 minutes left in the 3rd mark where he made a bad call on a pinch at the blue line that led to an odd man rush. Am I mis-remembering? That one seemed more egregious as he had no one back on that pinch, and it's those decisions when were up by a goal near the end of the game that should be eliminated. Not that he didn't have a good game overall, but that play stood out to me more than the Connor one.

Ehlers has been flying lately. It's not just the wealth of chances he's had, but how much he creates for others and how much space his speed creates. He and MP seem to be playing well together lately.

I think the one you're thinking about was actually an Enstrom pinch or step up.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011

Buff also had one with a few minute left in the 3rd causing a 2 on 1, although he rushed back and got a stick on the play deflecting it out.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
No, Buff was on the left side on the play he's thinking of and he's right, it wasn't a very good decision. Nothing like the play on the Connor turnover, which wasn't on him, the other was though.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Buff does decide to skate forward when he also could have stayed stationary at the blueline. Connor was not looking to replace Buff, but was looking to cut to the center. Buff pinched where maybe he shouldn't have.

He wasn't pinching, he was rotating. If Connor turns it up, then Buff rotates back. If Connor makes the pass to Buff (which he should have) then either Buff moves in (and Connor stays put) or Buff moves back to the point for a shot (and Connor moves up)

It's standard rotations. If Buff stays put, then he is not a pass option for Connor as they are both in the same place.

It was just an unfortunate error by a great young player at an inopportune time which never cost us anyway. People just need an excuse to piss on Buff because it is his turn this year with Stuart gone.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad