Post-Game Talk: Who Needs Moar Goals? - Jets Win 1-0

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Only on this board can a Connor turnover somehow be Buff's fault.

Connor's turn over is 100% on himself for sure.
Buff being out of position is 100% his fault.
One of them is a 21 year old rookie.
One is supposed to be our assistant captain.

When Connor makes that move he should have both D backing him up.
Buff is risking what happened (scoring chance against) to maybe create offense the other way.
Totally wrong time of the game for him to be pinching there.
That's all.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Canucks have anemic offensive with exception of Horvat and Boeser. The Sedin twins look like they are ready to retire soon
Canucks board are impressed with how offensive talented the Jets are without Chef.
There’s nothing wrong with our scoring.
We have stop taking chances at the end of the game and silly penalties that result from them
Just play boring keep away to preserve the win.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Connor's turn over is 100% on himself for sure.
Buff being out of position is 100% his fault.
One of them is a 21 year old rookie.
One is supposed to be our assistant captain.

When Connor makes that move he should have both D backing him up.
Buff is risking what happened (scoring chance against) to maybe create offense the other way.
Totally wrong time of the game for him to be pinching there.
That's all.

I'm not accepting he was out of position. Connor was freelancing in the Ozone and taking the puck where he did when he did was probably not something you can anticipate, where do you expect Buff to be exactly?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
After being asked about our composure in close games Maurice answers, "having six NHL defensemen makes a difference".

Poor Stuart.

You can add Chariot and Postma to the mix as we’ll as not quite ready for an NHL top 6!

Healthy Myers and the acquisition of Kulikov have as much to do with the Jets success this season as the emergence of an elite Helly!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It's pretty comical Canucks didn't accomplish much offensively:
0WGzY2X.png
Pretty much what I saw, and people wonder why Nilsson got 2nd star over Helle? He kept that game from being 4 or 5-0.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Think Helle will have some swelling in the eye area? Or just a minor shiner?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'm not accepting he was out of position. Connor was freelancing in the Ozone and taking the puck where he did when he did was probably not something you can anticipate, where do you expect Buff to be exactly?

Back playing Defense.
He was in below their face off circle when the puck is out at their blue line.
If we needed to score I could see him charging in.
But when were protecting a 1 goal lead he should be hanging back playing DEFENSE.

We don't need a goal there.
We need puck support to keep them away from our net.
I just don't think it's very smart of him to jump into their end as a rover when we just need to kill the clock.

Risk reward is not worth it at all.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Pretty much exactly what I

Pretty much what I saw, and people wonder why Nilsson got 2nd star over Helle? He kept that game from being 4 or 5-0.

That was John Garrett's three stars. Pretty sure Helle was 1st star in the building tonight

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I don't want to pile on but as I was moaning about the Connor penalty I noticed this gem in the replay.
WJRLgct.jpg

That's Buff turning back from deep in their zone when Connor takes the penalty.
Were up 1-0 with about 90 seconds left.
What the hell is he doing going in deep there?
Connor should have protected the puck better or moved it when he had the chance but the thing is when he turned the puck over Buff should have been right there.
Connor likely doesn't take the penalty in that case.

Good game by the whole team and Buff had several good moments but choices like this are really frustrating given his age and status on the team.

That's the system they're coached. Pinch and cycle.

Certified Good Canadian Boy™ and HFJets chosen one Josh Morrissey does it too.

Guarantee one of his "bad buff" moments completely ruin our playoff run.

:facepalm:

And I guarantee that he won't be the only one making mistakes but all of the Lawlesses around here will heap all the blame on him anyway.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Agree, you don't just back up to the red line when your forward decides to skate back to the blue line and then tries to cut through the middle of the ice at said blue line. Connor took an unnecessary risk and turned the puck over in an area where it's pretty much a cardinal sin and where most players should know you don't have any support.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Back playing Defense.
He was in below their face off circle when the puck is out at their blue line.
If we needed to score I could see him charging in.
But when were protecting a 1 goal lead he should be hanging back playing DEFENSE.

We don't need a goal there.
We need puck support to keep them away from our net.
I just don't think it's very smart of him to jump into their end as a rover when we just need to kill the clock.

Risk reward is not worth it at all.

That picture you posted it looks like he's in the neutral zone. I can see the center ice logo.

I really don't know what you mean TBH. The only way you could be able to defend that turnover would be to be out lurking at center ice.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
That's the system they're coached. Pinch and cycle.

Certified Good Canadian Boy™ and HFJets chosen one Josh Morrissey does it too.

I agree that is what they are doing when they are pressuring for offense and trying to get goals.
All teams noticeably shift their tactics in tight games like this near the end of the game.
I wasn't suggesting that Buff needed to be back at the red line... but he also doesn't need to be in their corner.

If Connor was successful in his move he's walking in up the middle with a shot or a pass opportunity and Buff would be right where we need him on the right point.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I actually do enjoy watching Jets games whenever they come on TV here in Vancouver. Love watching your team. Will be cheering hard for you guys in the playoffs.

I actually moved to Vancouver a year ago. Don't think I'll ever be a Nucks fan though. Earlier in the season I was pulling for the Canucks to make a wild card. That's probably the only realistic way I could have seen the Jets in the Playoffs (Jets would have to win the Central also)

It's probably best for the Canucks to load up at the draft though . Some dynamic D in the top half of the first round this year.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I actually moved to Vancouver a year ago. Don't think I'll ever be a Nucks fan though. Earlier in the season I was pulling for the Canucks to make a wild card. That's probably the only realistic way I could have seen the Jets in the Playoffs (Jets would have to win the Central also)

It's probably best for the Canucks to load up at the draft though . Some dynamic D in the top half of the first round this year.

That and we need new management lol.

Reactions: ps241

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Thx! I cheered hard for Canucks the naslund years, damn Cloutier that red wings game!

Man I was choked when that happened. Was very excited when Winnipeg got the Jets back though. I'd say Winnipeg has been my second team ever since. Easily the best fans in the league (and that's not me sucking up, that's based on how you guys support the team and the atmosphere you create in your arena).

What's scary is you guys still have some more good prospects in the minors who will be coming up in a few years. Keep going! Canada's best chance at a Cup.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
After being asked about our composure in close games Maurice answers, "having six NHL defensemen makes a difference".

Poor Stuart.
What about Chiarot? At least Stuart is long gone, Chiarot is still with the team....ouch!

Not that Mo wasn't right mind you.

Reactions: Jets 31

Insthofen

Dec 2, 2016
Its this kind of wins that make me believe we can do well in the playoffs. We should concentrate even more on defense, then to pk and third to pp. We have several guys who can produce occassional rabbit from the hat: Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Armia, Buff, Perreault...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad