Who is your favorite current Canucks player?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I had to pick Daniel...I'm a Sedin fan but I hear too many intellectually insincere post game comments from Henrik that I've bumped him down on my list...Bo is a close 2nd place for me.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Tall, slow , doesn't do anything really great, projected bottom pairing guy at BEST..... Alberts 2.0.

Somehow I think there's more to a player than those vague similarities. Alberts didn't just not do anything great, he did most things poorly. Qualitatively Tryamkin could be much better than him even if he is "tall, slow (not really true), and doesn't do anything great."

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Somehow I think there's more to a player than those vague similarities. Alberts didn't just not do anything great, he did most things poorly. Qualitatively Tryamkin could be much better than him even if he is "tall, slow (not really true), and doesn't do anything great."

Alberts was a good physical 6/7 guy. Better than Sbisa/Bartk.

And if that's all Tryamkin turns into (it's a fair projection—maybe a regular 5/6 if we're being generous) it's still a decent pick.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Alberts was a good physical 6/7 guy. Better than Sbisa/Bartk.

And if that's all Tryamkin turns into (it's a fair projection—maybe a regular 5/6 if we're being generous) it's still a decent pick.

Sure it's decent but I don't see that as an apt comparison. Alberts was a fringe defenseman when he was a 28 year old defenseman who had been in the league for 5 years.

Tryamkin looked very solid for us at age 21 despite learning a new language, team system, and the NHL style of play. If he doesn't progress at all between now and age 28 then I'll accept that Alberts is an apt comparison, but I don't see that as his likely trajectory as it would require him to not get any better than he is today.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Virtanen
Baertschi
Horvat
Hutton
Tryamkin
Markstrom
Etem

I like the twins but lately I've been bored of them and I just want youth. When I was younger I loved Burrows and the Twins but lately I couldn't really care for them if I tried.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Sure it's decent but I don't see that as an apt comparison. Alberts was a fringe defenseman when he was a 28 year old defenseman who had been in the league for 5 years.

Tryamkin looked very solid for us at age 21 despite learning a new language, team system, and the NHL style of play. If he doesn't progress at all between now and age 28 then I'll accept that Alberts is an apt comparison, but I don't see that as his likely trajectory as it would require him to not get any better than he is today.

Alberts was better than Tryamkin showed last season.

I'm not part of the contingent that thinks Tryamkin played well in his brief showing.

He played well enough that there's hope he can grow into a regular bottom pairing D (like Alberts was).

Like you said, he has room to grow, but it's unlikely he's going to have breakthrough and become a top 4.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Alberts was better than Tryamkin showed last season.

I'm not part of the contingent that thinks Tryamkin played well in his brief showing.

He played well enough that there's hope he can grow into a regular bottom pairing D (like Alberts was).

Like you said, he has room to grow, but it's unlikely he's going to have breakthrough and become a top 4.

Hmm, I don't agree but that's the "eye test" for you. I thought Tryamkin was quite solid, even ignoring the significant adjustments he was making.

Alberts was literally never good. Calling him a 5/6 is being generous. He was a 7 or 8, good for limited depth and nothing more. Got walked quite often by speedy players, had zero puck skills, and was mainly physical after the whistle as he didn't have the mobility to throw big hits during play. Honesty can't think of anything positive to say about his play. If that's what Tryamkin develops (regresses) into then that will be a major disappointment for me. He should become a very solid number 5/6 someday, not a fringe 7/8.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Hmm, I don't agree but that's the "eye test" for you. I thought Tryamkin was quite solid, even ignoring the significant adjustments he was making.

Alberts was literally never good. Calling him a 5/6 is being generous. He was a 7 or 8, good for limited depth and nothing more. Got walked quite often by speedy players, had zero puck skills, and was mainly physical after the whistle as he didn't have the mobility to throw big hits during play. Honesty can't think of anything positive to say about his play. If that's what Tryamkin develops (regresses) into then that will be a major disappointment for me. He should become a very solid number 5/6 someday, not a fringe 7/8.

Cool. Agree to disagree.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Wow this is embarrassing. Telling people that the Sedins have to be their favourite players is just wrong.

I'm not telling you what food has to be your favourite, I'm pointing out that you've been served 10 years of 5 star meals for free and are now picking hot dogs and french fries as your favourite food. It points to a real lack of appreciation for the quality of meals you've been served and an unrefined palate.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm not telling you what food has to be your favourite, I'm pointing out that you've been served 10 years of 5 star meals for free and are now picking hot dogs and french fries as your favourite food. It points to a real lack of appreciation for the quality of meals you've been served and an unrefined palate.

Or simple boredom.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam

I think your perception of "favorite" and "respected" are out of sync. You can, in fact, respect a player most without him being your favorite. And if you want to stick with a food analogy I respect the potato greatly. It's been the staple in people's diet since the dawn of man, it has the nutrition to sustain human life alone, it makes alcohol and very versatile, what a treat! But it's certainly not my favorite food.

Don't get all upset either than people don't view Hank as their favorite, you're allowed different opinions.

For the record I think Hank is one of the best players this team has ever had and I respect him the most but I chose BoHo as my current "favorite" Canuck.

Last edited:

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I respect the potato greatly. It's been the staple in people's diet since the dawn of man, it has the nutrition to sustain human life alone, it makes alcohol and very versatile, what a treat! But it's certainly not my favorit food.

heh well said. I like them french fried potaters... mmhm.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
This thread ...

5TXzQyb.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad